Windows 10 Spring Update re-enables Fast Startup on dual-boot PCs
If you own a dual-boot computer and you already installed the Windows 10 April Update or you’re planning to, you should know that this OS version automatically enables Fast Startup. In other words, if you dual-boot with Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1803 will turn on Fast Startup although you disabled the respective setting.
There are two main implications of this fact:
- The Windows 10 Fast Startup feature prevents you from mounting your NTFS partitions in Linux. This means that you’ll need to reboot from Windows into Ubuntu.
- If one of the two partitions are set to automount in /etc/fstab, you will get random black or purple screens after rebooting from Windows to Ubuntu. In this case, you can’t really do anything else but hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
Dual-boot system users really hate Microsoft’s strategy, but somehow got accustomed to it since new Windows 10 versions do tend to overwrite previous user settings:
they re enable it after every “feature” update. infuriating as hell if you rely on Wake on LAN as intel drivers still don’t proberly wake when in the fast startup state.
How to disable Fast Startup on Windows 10
If you want to turn off Fast Startup on Windows 10 version 1803, you can use the Control Panel:
- Go to Start > type ‘control panel’ > double click on the first result to launch Control Panel
- Go to the Search box > type ‘power’ > select Power Options.
- Go to ‘Choose what the power buttons do’ > enter your administrator username and password if prompted
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) > Save changes.
So, if you use a dual-boot computer, don’t forget to disable Fast Startup after you install the latest Windows 10 OS version.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows Server
- How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Preview builds
- How to dual-boot Endless OS and Windows 10
- Fix: Booting Takes a Long Time in Windows 10
If you want your laptop to work properly, you need to have the appropriate software installed. Speaking of software, users reported that they can’t install […]
Are you getting a “printer needs user intervention” error message when printing documents? The error message might appear on the printer‘s top panel display as […]
XAML or Extensible Application Markup Language, is a language based on XML(Extensive Markup Language). Its use ranges from creating to initializing .NET objects. It’s primarily […]