Windows 10 keeps installing Candy Crush games [SIMPLEST FIXES]
Candy Crush is one of the most popular games out there, with millions of people playing this candy-addictive game every day. However, as surprising as this may be, there are Windows 10 users who don’t like the game, and hate it when they find it installed on their computers.
According to users‘ reports, Windows 10 keeps installing Candy Crush even after they deleted the game:
I’m running Windows 10, and am having trouble removing the pre-installed Candy Crush Saga application.
It’s appears on my start menu as ‘recently added’, I right click and select ‘Uninstall’, but 1-2 days later it re-appears and I have to go through the same process again. I must have uninstalled it 20+ times already.
How can I completely remove this application? I do not use it, nor do I wish for other to be able to use it on my computer. The same problem also occurs on my computer at work.
Microsoft automatically installs Candy Crush when users upgrade to Windows 10, enticing them to play the game. If you have tried to uninstall Candy Crush, but you are still haunted by this game, follow the steps described below to remove it from your machine.
How can I block Candy Crush install on Windows 10?
Unwanted applications can be a problem, and many users reported that Windows 10 keeps installing Candy Crush Saga on their PC without their knowledge. This can be an annoying problem, and speaking of unwanted applications, users reported the following issues:
- Windows 10 keeps reinstalling apps – Many users reported that Windows 10 keeps reinstalling unwanted apps. To fix this issue, just remove App Updater application, and the problem will be resolved.
- Windows 10 Candy Crush keeps reappearing, reinstalling – According to users, Candy Crush keeps reinstalling on their PC. This is an annoying problem, but you might be able to fix it simply by removing Candy Crush with PowerShell.
- Windows 10 remove Candy Crush group policy – Sometimes Candy Crush can keep installing on your PC without your knowledge. However, you can fix the issue by making a couple of changes to your group policy settings.
- Windows 10 permanently remove Candy Crush – If you want to prevent Candy Crush from installing, it’s advised to remove it from your PC and then modify your registry. After doing that, Candy Crush will be permanently removed from your PC.
The following workarounds are temporary solutions, and they may not work for all users. Some of them will only help you to partially solve this problem, but it’s worth testing them out.
To make things clear, there is no permanent solution to stop Windows 10 from installing Candy Crush on users‘ computers. If you’ve come across a permanent solution, you can help the community by listing the troubleshooting steps in the comments below.
As a quick reminder, the current Windows 10 builds no longer reinstall the apps you removed. However, this feature is not yet available to the general public.
Solution 1 – Perform a clean boot and uninstall Candy Crush
- Log on to your computer as an administrator.
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Now press Enter or click OK.
- On the Services tab > check Hide all Microsoft services > click Disable all.
- On the Startup tab > click Open Task Manager.
- Select all the items listed > click Disable.
- Close the Task Manager, go back to System Configuration window and click Apply and OK. Restart your PC.
- Uninstall Candy Crush.
- Go back to Task Manager > enable the programs required for your system and the ones you use on a daily basis.
Can’t open Task Manager? Don’t worry, we’ve got the right solution for you.
Solution 2 – Use PowerShell
- Type PowerShell in the Search menu. Right-click PowerShell and choose Run as administrator.
- Type the following command Get-AppxPackage -User and add your username to display all the app installed. Eg.: Get-AppxPackage -User Madeleine.
- Locate the Candy Crush app on this list.
- Run the command Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName. To remove Candy Crush Saga and prevent it from installing again, we’ll run Remove-AppxPackage king.com.CandyCrushSaga_1.912.1.0_x86__kgqvnymyfvs32.
Solution 3 – Tweak the Registry
- Press Windows Key +R and enter regedit. Not press Enter or click OK.
- Locate this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsStoreWindowsUpdateAutoDownload
If the AutoDownload option is not available, create it as a new 32-bit DWORD value and set it to 2. However, some users won’t be able to create this value.
Solution 4 – Disable Windows Update
Windows 10 users report that Candy Crush Saga and other unwanted apps usually appear on their computers after the OS has installed the latest updates.
To stop Windows 10 from installing unwanted apps, launch the Task Manager, scroll down to Windows Update, right-click and select Stop to disable this feature.
Once you turn off Windows Update, you won’t be able to use the automatic update feature of the system, and all OS and app updates need to be triggered manually.
Solution 5 – Remove App Updater app
According to users, if Windows 10 keeps installing Candy Crush Saga, you might be able to fix the problem simply by removing App Updater app.
This is a built-in application, and according to users, this app forces Windows to install Candy Crush and other unwanted apps. To fix the problem, it’s advised to uninstall App Updater. To do that, follow these steps:
- Make sure that Candy Crush is removed from your PC.
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- Now navigate to the Apps section.
- List of installed applications will now appear. Locate App Updater on the list and click Uninstall to remove it. If App Updater isn’t available, you can try removing App Installer instead.
Once you remove App Updater, Candy Crush and other unwanted applications won’t install automatically anymore.
Solution 6 – Change Start Menu settings
By default, Windows 10 will show you app suggestions in your Start Menu. This can sometimes cause unwanted applications such as Candy Crush Saga to appear. However, you can prevent app suggestions from appearing by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Personalization section.
- On the menu on the left choose Start. In the right pane, disable Occasionally show suggestions in Start option.
Once you disable this option, unwanted applications won’t appear in your Start Menu. If any applications are still present, just remove them and they shouldn’t reappear in the future.
Start menu disappears on Windows 10? Get it back with the help of this useful guide.
Solution 7 – Update Windows
According to users, sometimes this issue can appear if your Windows is out of date. Users reported that they fixed the problem simply by installing the latest updates.
According to users, Microsoft resolved this issue in one of its updates, so be sure to keep your Windows updated.
By default, Windows 10 will automatically install the missing updates, but sometimes you might miss an update or two. However, you can solve the problem simply by manually checking for updates.
This is quite straightforward, and you can do it by following these steps:
Windows will check for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, restart your PC to install the updates. Once your system is up to date, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 8 – Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experience
According to users, this problem can appear due to Microsoft Consumer Experience feature. This feature will install recommended applications on your PC, and the only way to stop Candy Crush from installing is to disable this feature.
To do that, you need to modify your security policies by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R. Now enter gpedit.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- When Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Cloud Content in the left pane. In the right pane, double-click on Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences.
- When Properties window opens, select Enabled and click on Apply and OK to save changes.
After doing that, Microsoft Consumer Experience feature will be disabled and you won’t see any app suggestions such as Candy Crush anymore.
Alternatively, you can disable this feature from Registry Editor. To do that, you just need to follow these steps:
- Start Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsCloudContent key in the left pane. Now double-click the DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures DWORD in the right pane and set the Value Data to 1. Click OK to save changes.
If CloudContent and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures values aren’t available, you’ll need to create them manually. To do that, just right-click Windows key and choose New > Key from the menu. Now enter CloudContent as the name of the new key.
To create the DWORD, simply go to the newly created CloudContent key and right-click the empty space in the right pane. Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and enter DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures as the name of the DWORD.
Once you make the necessary changes, the issue should be resolved and Candy Crush Saga won’t appear anymore on your PC.
Solution 9 – Change your security policy
If Windows keeps installing Candy Crush Saga, you might be able to solve the problem by changing your security policies. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter secpol.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- In the left pane, go to Application Control Policies > AppLocker. Now choose Packaged app Rules from the right pane.
- Right-click the empty space in the right pane and choose Create New Rule.
- Select Permissions from the menu on the left and choose Deny. Now click Next to continue.
- Choose Use an installed packaged app as a reference and click the Select button.
- Select Widows Spotlight from the list and click OK.
- Move the slider to Package name and click the Create button.
After doing that, won’t be installed without your knowledge.
If you’ve found other workarounds to remove Candy Crush from your Windows 10 computer for good, share your ideas in the comment section below.
Also, leave there any other questions you may have and we’ll be sure to check them out.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 100+ Best Windows 10 Store Games to Play
- Fix: Black Bars in Games on Windows 10
- Microsoft committed to bringing Xbox One games to Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Jacquard fabrics are extremely beautiful and elegant designs that can transform the vibe of the room instantly. Because of this fact, through the ages, people […]
The Xbox Twitch app allows you to stream contents live from your console to your Twitch viewers. Sometimes, after making some changes like changing the […]