- A few years ago, Microsoft released a few methods to login without a password on Windows 10.
- You can easily enable Windows 10 passwordless login from the system's settings.
- Passwordless sign in to Windows 10 is a convenient way of eliminating yet another credential to remember.
- However, you should know that some devices might not support these methods.
Starting with Windows 10 Build 18936, you can take advantage of the passwordless sign-in for Microsoft accounts on your Windows 10 device.
The tech giant has been working on removing passwords from Windows 10 until finally coming up with a few alternatives to passwords.
The current lineup of authentication methods includes Windows Hello Face, Windows Hello Fingerprint, Windows Hello PIN, Security key, Password, and Picture Password.
If you opt in to the new passwordless login, the password option will disappear from you Login screen.
How do I log in to Windows 10 passwordless?
- In your Windows search box type settings and click on the first result. You can also do it by clicking on the Start button and then on Settings.
- In the Settings app, click on Accounts.
- In the left panel, click on Sign-in options. Now you’ll see multiple authentication methods.
- In the right section, under Make your device passwordless, turn the feature ON.
Alternatively, in the same screen, choose one of the Windows Hello methods and set it up.
That’s it. Now you can log in to your Microsoft accounts or Windows 10 device without the need of a password.
What are the benefits of passwordless authentication?
If you’re wondering why you would want to use passwordless authentication, it’s because it offers more security and a seamless sign-in experience.
Passwords are often reused on multiple accounts, which makes them susceptible to hacking. A PIN code, for example, is much more secure because is stored on your device and not shared online.
Windows 10 stores your PIN on a secure local chip called Trusted Platform Module (TPM). In case of server or online issues, your private key won’t be affected.
So, any of the other Windows Hello sign-in options are more secure than a password.
If you’re interested in how you can skip the login screen on Windows 10, check out this dedicated guide and learn how to do it yourself.
In case you are interested in eliminating some of the many passwords used for various platforms, check out this list with the best password managers for Windows 10. It’s the most convenient way of taking this load off your chest.
For any other suggestions or questions, feel free to reach to the comments section below.