Full Fix: Unable to ping other computers on Windows 10
Being unable to ping other computers in your network can be a big problem for every user that has a home or a business network. This issue can cause problems while sharing files in your network and other various issues, however, there’s a way to fix this problem.
Many users reported that they are unable to ping other computers. This can be an issue, and speaking of pinging problems, here are some additional problems that users reported:
- Windows 10 ping request timed out – According to users, sometimes our ping request will just time out. This can happen due to your antivirus, so be sure to disable it and try again.
- Can’t see my computer, cannot ping computer on network Windows 10 – These problems can occur for various reasons, but you can fix them by using the solutions from this article.
- Windows 10 cannot ping local IP address, LAN – Sometimes this issue can occur due to IPv6 feature, so be sure to disable it.
Windows 10 is unable to ping other computers, how to fix it?
- Check your antivirus
- Disable IPv6
- Disable your VPN
- Use netcfg -d command
- Restart Function Discovery Provider and Function Discovery Host services
- Make sure that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is installed
- Be sure that the PC is the member of the same domain
- Check your network devices
- Install the latest updates
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
If you’re unable to ping other computers in your network, the issue might be your antivirus. Depending on your antivirus configuration, you might not be able to properly see or ping other PCs in your network.
To fix this problem, it’s advised to check your antivirus settings and disable certain features. After doing that, check if the problem is still there. If that doesn’t work, you might have to disable your antivirus completely. In the worst case scenario, you might even have to remove your antivirus.
If removing a third-party antivirus solves the problem, perhaps you should consider using a different antivirus solution. There are many great antivirus applications on the market, but if you’re looking for a reliable antivirus software that won’t interfere with your system, then Bitdefender might be just what you need.
– Get now Bitdefender 2019 (35% discount available)
Solution 2 – Disable IPv6
According to users, if your Windows 10 PC is unable to ping other computers, the issue might be IPv6. However, you can easily disable IPv6 on your PC. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the network icon on your Taskbar and choose your network from the list.
- Select Change adapter options in the right pane.
- You’ll now see all available connections on your PC. Right-click your network connection and choose Properties.
- Locate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and disable it. Now click OK to save changes.
After disabling IPv6, check if the problem is still there. Keep in mind that you might have to disable IPv6 on other computers in your network in order to fix the problem.
Solution 3 – Disable your VPN
Many users use VPN on their PC in order to protect their privacy. Although a good VPN is one of the best ways to protect your privacy online, sometimes your VPN can make you unable to ping other computers in your network.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to disable your VPN and check if that helps. If disabling the VPN solves your problem, perhaps you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution. Cyberghost VPN is a great VPN tool, and it won’t interfere with your system in any way, so if you’re looking for a new antivirus, you might want to try Cyberghost VPN.
Solution 4 – Use netcfg -d command
According to users, if you’re unable to ping other computers, you might be able to fix the problem by running a single command in Command Prompt. This command should delete various network settings and reset your settings to the default. To run this command, just do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X or right-click the Start button. Now select Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter netcfg -d command and press Enter to run it.
After the command is executed, check if the problem is still there. Many users reported that they fixed the problem simply by running this command and resetting their PC, so you might want to try that.
Solution 5 – Restart Function Discovery Provider and Function Discovery Host services
In order to see other PCs in your network, you’ll need to have certain services running. However, if services aren’t running properly, you might be unable to ping other computers on your network. This can be a problem, but you can fix it by restarting the required services on all your PCs. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Function Discovery Provider Host and double-click it.
- When Properties window opens, click the Stop button to stop the service. Now click the Start button to start it and then click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now do the same for Function Discovery Provider service.
After restarting both these services, the issue should be completely resolved. Keep in mind that you need to apply this solution to all PCs in your network. If you want, you could set this services to start automatically with your PC and the problem should be resolved for good.
Solution 6 – Make sure that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is installed
If you’re unable to ping other computers on your network, the issue might be the lack of certain features. In order to successfully share files and see other PCs, it’s important to have the required features enabled. This is relatively simple, and you can enable these features by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter windows features. Choose Turn Windows features on or off from the list of results.
- When Windows Features window opens, check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and then click OK to save changes.
After installing this feature, check if the problem is still there. Keep in mind that you might need to enable this feature on all PCs in your network in order to fix the problem.
Solution 7 – Be sure that the PC is the member of the same domain
If you’re unable to ping other computers in your network, the issue might be related to your PC name. Sometimes certain glitches can occur, and these glitches can prevent you from pinging other PCs. However, a couple of users reported that they fixed the problem simply by changing their PC name. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter advanced settings. Select View advanced system settings.
- Go to the Computer name tab and click Change.
- Make sure that the PC is the member of the same domain and click OK.
After saving changes, you should be able to ping other PCs in your network.
Solution 8 – Check your network devices
According to users, if you’re unable to ping other computers, the issue might be related to your network. To fix the problem, be sure that your PCs are properly connected and able to access the Internet.
In addition, you might want to try restarting your network devices and check if that solves the issue. If you’re an advanced user, you might as well check your router’s configuration and make sure that everything is in order.
In the worst case scenario, it’s possible that your router is broken. Several users reported that they fixed the problem by replacing the router, so you might want to consier router replacement.
Solution 9 – Install the latest updates
If you’re still unable to ping other computers, the issue might be a glitch on your system. Sometimes bugs and other issues can occur, and the best way to fix them is to keep your system up to date.
Windows 10 keeps itself up to date automatically, but you can always check for updates manually. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + I. Now go to the Update & Security section.
- In the right pane, click Check for updates button. Any available updates will be downloaded automatically.
After you download the updates, restart your PC in order to install the updates. Once the updates are installed, check if the problem is still there.
Being unable to ping other computers can be a big issue, but we hope that you managed to solve this annoying problem by using the solutions from this article.
- Fix: Broadcom WiFi can’t find wireless network
- FIX: Network discovery is turned off in Windows 10
- Fix: Problems with Windows 10 HomeGroup
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020. Then the software giant will stop releasing patch updates for Win 7. As such, […]
In the past, if you wanted to watch a movie at home, you had to use a clunky DVD player and the TV you had […]
It seems like 2019 is going to be a busy year for the Surface team and Microsoft. The tech giant has the most interesting update […]