Solution 4 – Reset Windows Update components
If you have issues with update error 0x8024a10a, the problem might be related to Windows Update services.
Sometimes issues with services can be resolved simply by restarting them, but there are multiple services related to Windows Update, so restarting them all by hand can be a time-consuming task.
However, you can always create a Windows Update reset script that will reset all necessary services for you.
This process is quite simple, and you’ll have your script ready in a matter of minutes. Once you create a script, just run it and the problem will be resolved.
Solution 5 – Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows comes with various tools called troubleshooters that can fix common PC problems. Several users reported that they fixed error 0x8024a10a simply by using Windows Update troubleshooter.
To use Windows Update troubleshooter, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now go to Update & Security section.
- In the left pane, select Troubleshoot. Select Windows Update from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter button.
- The troubleshooter will now start. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
Once the troubleshooter is finished, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 6 – Download the desired update manually
According to users, if you can’t download Windows updates due to error 0x8024a10a, you might be able to circumvent the problem simply by downloading and installing the desired update manually.
To do that, you just need to follow these steps:
- First, you need to find out the code of the update you’re trying to download. To do that, simply go to Windows Update and check the code of the update you’re trying to install. The code will consist of an array of numbers and KB letters at the beginning. Once you find the code, copy it or write it down.
- Go to Microsoft’s Update Catalog website. Now enter the update code in the search bar. List of results will now appear. Select the update that matches your system architecture and click Download.
After downloading the update, run the setup file and you should be able to update your system.
Solution 7 – Perform an in-place upgrade
If you’re having problems with update error 0x8024a10a, you might be able to solve it by performing an in-place upgrade.
In case you’re not familiar, this process will install the latest version of Windows while keeping all your personal files and applications intact.
To perform an in-place upgrade, you need to do the following:
- Download Media Creation Tool and run it.
- Select Upgrade this PC now.
- Wait while the application prepares your PC. Now choose Download and install updates and click Next.
- Wait while the updates are downloaded and follow the instructions on the screen until you get to the Ready to install screen.
- On Ready to install screen, click Change what to keep. Now select Keep personal files and apps and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Once the installation is finished, you’ll have the latest version of Windows 10 installed and the issue should be resolved.
Solution 8 – Perform a clean install of Windows 10
In case all of the above steps proved futile, you may consider reinstallation as your easiest solution. We are aware that can take some time, but installation process for Windows 10 is not lengthy nor hard to perform.
We hope you managed to fix your update issue with these workarounds. If you have any questions or doubts, be sure to address them in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT: