Fix: Windows 10 upgrade error 0xc1900201
By the latest reports, the 3 quarters of Windows 10 users have obtained Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. However, some users that are recently prompted to upgrade to version 1709, bump into an upgrade error baring the code 0xc1900201. Seemingly, they are unable to overcome this error after a few tries and can confirm that the connection or update services are responsible for the error at hand.
For that purpose, we prepared a list of most common solutions that should fix the issue or provide a viable alternative. If you’re stuck with the ”0xc1900201” upgrade error, make sure to check the list below.
How to resolve upgrade error 0xc1900201 in Windows 10
1: Expand System Reserved Partition
This shouldn’t be something with what end-users should meet, but that’s Windows 10 for you. When it works – it works fine; when it doesn’t – you’ll need to turn to complex workarounds in order to make it work. In this scenario, you’ll need to resize your System Reserved Partition in order to obtain the latest upgrade, Falls Creator Update. All chances are that its nominal values vary around 100 MB whilst you’ll need from 200 to 600 in order to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 iteration.
This is a rather complex operation, and a lot of tech-savvy users advise to use some kind of partition-managing third-party tool. The best one and the most simple to use is EaseUS Partition Manager. Also, it won’t cost you a thing to back up your system before we move through the steps.
- Firstly, create a system repair disk in case something goes awry.
- Download EaseUs Partition Manager.
- Install this nifty tool and run it.
- Select your system partition. The one where Windows 10 is originally installed (most of the time is C:)
- Click Resize/Move.
- Under the ”Decide size and position”, reduce the available space for approximately 600 MB.
- After that, you should be able to see free and unreserved Unallocated space, so you can restart your PC.
- Once it boots again, press Windows key + R to open the Run elevated command-line.
- In the command line, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Right-click on the System Reserved Partition and click Extend Volume.
- Add unallocated space you previously created to System Reserved Partition and confirm changes.
- Restart your PC and try upgrading again.
After that, you should be able to install all major updates without any issues whatsoever.
2: Use Media Creation Tool
If the upgrade procedure suddenly crashes every time you give it a go, maybe you’ll need to change the way upgrade is distributed and the installation source. Windows Update is fairly plagued with issues, so your optional way out of this is to use an external source: USB or DVD with the installation files. You can create such media with Media Creation Tool.
If the problem is in connection or upgrades file distribution, this should resolve it accordingly. Make sure to follow the steps below to create an installation media and upgrade Windows 10 with it:
- Download Media Creation Tool by following this link.
- Run the tool and accept the Licence Terms.
- Choose Upgrade this PC and the downloading process should commence.
- Once it downloads files, Media Creation Tool will start applying upgrades.
- This procedure should fully take up to 2 hours, depending on your Windows 10 version and bandwidth.
3: Perform a clean reinstallation
Finally, if none of the two previous steps fell short, you can always use the aforementioned Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean reinstallation. Once your system is completely renewed it should pack the Fall Creators Update a.k.a version 1709. If you’re not certain how to perform a clean reinstallation of Windows 10, make sure to check this article for the in-depth insight and step-by-step explanation of the complete procedure.
With that, we can conclude this article. In case you’re still unable to make it work, and the same error code 0xc1900201 is reappearing, don’t forget to send your ticket to Microsoft. On the other hand, if you managed to resolve the issue in an alternative way, we’ll be grateful if you share it with us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 upgrade error 0xc0000017
- Windows 10 upgrade error 0xc1900107 [Fix]
- How to fix Windows 10 Fall Creators Update install issues
As one Microsoft employee reports on the company’s forum, you can now get notifications on your desktop every time your Skype contact come online. Also, […]
Bluetooth peripherals are great, especially if you don’t like dealing with wires, but many Windows 10 users reported Windows was unable to install Bluetooth peripheral […]