- Windows Update errors are probably the worst since these don't allow you to update the OS. One of the common ones is the 0x8024a205 error code in Windows 11.
- To fix it, try running the Windows Update troubleshooter, pausing and unpausing the updates, scanning for malware, amongst other methods listed here.
- Also, find out how to get Windows 11 using the installation assistant.
Windows 11, just like the previous iterations, is prone to errors. The frequency of encountering these may have reduced, but some are still there. In the following guide, we will take up the 0x8024a205 Windows 11 update error.
This is generally encountered when you try to update or upgrade Windows, though it’s generally the former. This puts users in a pickle, since they are unable to update the OS, and thus miss out on various new features and performance enhancements.
No matter the case with your system, the methods listed here will eliminate the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205. But before we head to that, let’s first understand why you are encountering the error.
Why do I encounter the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205?
There could be a bunch of reasons behind any Windows Update error, and some are specific to a particular one. In this case, it’s most likely misconfigured system settings, conflicting applications or drivers, malware or virus, incompatible hardware, amongst other issues.
In case you are encountering the update error 0x8024a205 while installing Windows 11 from Windows update, head to the last section to find out how to install the latest iteration using the installation media.
How can I fix the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205?
1. Check if the hardware is compatible
In some cases, users who encountered the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205 found out that it was incompatible hardware that prevented the update from being installed.
And most of the time, it was the SSD that lead to such issues. If that’s the case, you should be able to find more information about this on the manufacturer’s website or could get in touch with their customer support.
2. Pause and unpause Windows update
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select Windows Update from the tabs listed in the navigation pane on the left.
- Next, click on the Pause for 1 week button.
- Once done, restart the computer for the changes to come into effect.
- Now, again navigate to the Windows Update tab, and click on the Resume updates button.
Oftentimes, it’s a minor bug that’s causing the Windows 11 update error code 0x8024a205, and simply pausing and unpausing it should fix the problem.
3. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and click on Troubleshoot on the right in the System tab.
- Click on Other troubleshooters from the options listed here.
- Next, locate the Windows Update troubleshooter, and click on the Run button next to it.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions and choose the necessary response when prompted to complete the troubleshooting process.
The built-in troubleshooters are one of the quickest ways to eliminate a plethora of issues. So it’s recommended that you always run the relevant troubleshooter to automatically identify and fix problems, including the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205.
4. Scan for malware or virus
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search menu, enter Windows Security in the text field at the top, and click on the relevant search result that appears.
- Click on Virus & threat protection from the list of options here.
- Next, click on Scan options to view the various available ones.
- Now, select the Full scan option and click on the Scan now button.
- Wait for the scan to complete. It will take some time depending on the size of stored data and the system configuration.
Malware and virus are just as likely to cause the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205, and you will have to remove these to fix it. While you can use a reliable third-party antivirus, the built-in Windows Security works just as well, if not better.
In case you are having trouble accessing Virus and threat protection, the fixes are rather simple and you should be able to get things back on track in no time.
5. Manually install the update
- Note down the KB (Knowledge Base) number for the update you are having trouble downloading.
- Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, enter the KB number in the search box, and either click on Search or hit Enter.
- Click on the Download button next to the relevant update.
- Now, right-click on the link, and select Save link as from the context menu.
- Choose the desired location for the update, and click on Save.
- If required, approve the download.
- Once the update is downloaded, double-click on it to launch the installer, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
If nothing else works, you can manually download the update from Microsoft Update Catalog, and then install it on the system. This should be your last resort, since it’s time-consuming, and some may find it a bit intricate.
How do I install Windows 11 using the installation assistant?
Many users also encountered the 0x8024a205 update error code while upgrading to Windows 11 from the previous iteration. Since Windows 11 is being released through Windows Update, you may come across this error. But that’s not the only way to upgrade.
You can also use the PC Health Check app, a dedicated tool from Microsoft to check if a system can run the latest iteration. And even if your system cannot, there are ways to bypass the requirements for Windows 11.
By now, you know how to fix the Windows 11 update error 0x8024a205, no matter whether it’s encountered while updating or upgrading the OS.
Besides, there are several other Windows Update errors that users encounter regularly. One of the common ones is the 0x800f0831 error code, so learn how to fix it.
Tell us which fix worked and the update for which you encountered the 0x8024a205 error code, in the comments section below.