How to fix Windows Explorer needs to be restarted error
Windows 10 is a great operating system, but sometimes you might get Windows Explorer needs to be restarted out of the blue. This error can be annoying, so today we’ll show you how to fix it properly once and for all.
What to do if Windows 10 explorer keeps restarting?
- Start your PC in Safe Mode
- Run the System File Checker (SFC)
- Check the system hard drive
- Run memory tests
1. Start your PC in Safe Mode
Windows Explorer needs to be restarted error can appear for various reasons, and one way to deal with it is to enter the Safe Mode. In case you don’t know, Safe Mode is a special segment of Windows that runs with default settings, so it’s perfect for troubleshooting issues. Bear in mind that entering Safe Mode won’t fix the problem, but it will allow you to investigate the issue.
If the issue doesn’t appear in Safe Mode, it’s rather likely that your installation or user profile is corrupted.
2. Run the System File Checker (SFC)
If you’re getting Windows Explorer needs to be restarted error on your PC, you might be able to fix it by performing an SFC scan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt with administrator privilege. To do this, press the Win key + X shortcut key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- After opening the Command Prompt, you need to run the SFC command. To do this, type sfc / scannow in the Command Prompt window and press the ENTER key to execute this command.
- The SFC command will scan all system files and fixes the damaged files.
Once the SFC command is complete, reboot the system and check the error message.
3. Check the system hard drive
If the Windows Explorer needs to be restarted error is still there, you might want to try scanning your hard drive. You can do that by following these steps:
- Again, open the Command Prompt with administrator permission.
- Now, in the Command Prompt, type the command chkdsk /f X: and press ENTER. Replace X with the drive you want to scan.
This command will check your hard disk for any kind of error, so it will take a long time to complete.
4. Run memory tests
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R keys.
- In the Run box, type MdSched.exe and press Enter.
- Go to Select the Restart now and check for problems option.
This process will try to correct errors related to your system’s memory
That’s all about Windows Explorer needs to be restarted error and its solutions. We hope that all the solutions described above will help fix the problem for good.
- Windows 10 PC stuck on restart? Here are 4 ways to fix it
- Windows cannot find explorer.exe [8 fixes that really work]
- How to fix File Explorer problems in Windows 10
Remote Desktop Connection is basically a protocol that helps you to connect to another computer that is available at a remote location. It seems like […]
Microsoft Outlook 2016 does not support manual setup for an Exchange account directly from the add accounts interface. The add account now has only two […]
To prevent fraud and protect children from the online threat Xbox allows the parents to create Child account with restrictions. However, the parents can share […]