Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired [Fix]
Hard drives are susceptible to occasional failures some leading to a total hard disk crash and subsequently, costly data losses. Fortunately, modern day hard drives have built-in self-checks and intelligent failure prevention mechanisms that issue warnings each time they detect that your drive is at risk.
Regarding the hard drive issues, many users reported Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired warning message. And just like the fatal error external hard drive problem, it’s important to act before the disk suffers serious damage forcing you to replace your hard drive completely.
The question is: what actions should you take to rescue your data and disk as soon as you receive the Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired problem notification? Well, that’s what we’re discussing in the rest of the article.
How can I fix Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired error?
1. Check disk
Chkdsk (Check Disk in full) is a command-line utility used in DOS and Windows-based operating systems to inspect file systems metadata and the overall status of your system’s hard drives. It lists and automatically corrects existing disk errors. Try running the chkdsk operation.
- Click start and type Command Prompt in your Windows 10 search box.
- Locate the Command Prompt (Desktop app) option from the results (see above) and click it. Also, select Yes when prompted by UAC.
- In the next window, enter chkdsk d: /f /r /x (notice the spaces) then select Y to accept the procedure (replace D with the letter representing your drive).
The f parameter instructs the utility to fix found errors while r advises it to discover and recover all the bad sectors. Lastly, x tells your hard drive to dismount to allow the exercise to start.
You may also start error checking from GUI (graphical user interface) as follows.
- Open File Explorer (CTRL+E).
- Click this PC to expand it (see screenshot below).
- Right-click on the target hard drive (C,D, etc.).
- Choose Properties then select the Tools
- Click Check.
- Now press Scan drive and allow it to complete.
2. Use PowerShell
Windows 10 PowerShell is another task-based command-line shell/scripting language designed to help system administration matters including discharging hard drive maintenance routines. You can as well use it to scrutinize your drive and repair probable errors.
- Click on the Start button, then type PowerShell.
- Right-click on the Windows PowerShell option and click Run as administrator. Also, select yes when prompted by UAC.
- Once the command line loads, type Repair-Volume C –Scan(replace C with your own drive letter) then press Enter. You will be required to run the next command if any errors are noted.
- Now type Repair-Volume C –OfflineScanAndFix then press Enter to commence an offline scan and remove errors on the drive.
- Restart the PC and check if the problem has been fixed.
3. Security and Maintenance Check
Windows 10 Security and Maintenance section keeps you up to date of issues that affect your computer’s general health. It can thus help you identify problems with the hard drive hardware and software as long as your PC is booting.
- In Windows 10 search box (right next to Start the start button) type control panel.
- Click the Control Panel from the results.
- Choose system and security.
- Go to Security and Maintenance.
- Click to expand the Maintenance tab then locate the Drive Status option.
All issues pertaining to your hard drive will be listed here.
- ALSO READ: Fix: Control Panel not Opening in Windows 10
4. Using your installation disk
This is how to repair your disk if Windows won’t boot due to the Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired message.
- Insert your Windows 10 installation disc/USB flash drive then restart the PC.
- Press any key (when prompted) then follow the subsequent instructions.
- The Install Windows page will appear. Select Repair your computer(lower left corner of your screen). This opens the various system recovery options.
- Select Troubleshoot under Choose an option.
- Click Advanced Options in the new Troubleshoot screen.
- Click Command Prompt.
- Now type chkdsk c: /f /r then press Enter.
Wait while it runs, and reboot your PC once the scan is finished.
That’s it. Your Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired error should be gone.
RELATED ARTICLES THAT YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- SOLVED: Repairing drive might take more than 1 hour to complete
- How to fix bad sectors in Windows 10, 8, 8,1
- Fix: “An error occurred while partitioning the disk” in Boot Camp
Jacquard fabrics are extremely beautiful and elegant designs that can transform the vibe of the room instantly. Because of this fact, through the ages, people […]
The Xbox Twitch app allows you to stream contents live from your console to your Twitch viewers. Sometimes, after making some changes like changing the […]