- Windows Update errors can sometimes happen before, during, or after you perform an OS update.
- The article below will show you what you can do to fix Windows Update error 0x8007043c.
- For more articles covering similar topics, visit our Windows Update Errors Hub.
- If you need further assistance, you can also visit our Windows 10 Errors page.
Error 0x8007043c arises for some users when they try to install Windows updates. In one Microsoft forum post, a user said:
In trying to install the Windows 10 update, it takes forever; and then at the 99% level, I get a failed message with Error Code 0x8007043c.
There aren’t that many confirmed fixes for this issue. However, these are some of the potential fixes for error 0x8007043c that are worth a shot.
How do I fix the Windows update error 0x8007043c?
1. Open the Windows Update troubleshooter
The Windows Update troubleshooter could resolve the issue if the OS is trying to install an update that isn’t compatible with the platform version.
- To launch that troubleshooter, open Windows 10’s search box by clicking Type here to search.
- Input troubleshoot in the Type here to search box.
- Click Troubleshoot settings to open Settings as in the image directly below.
- Select Windows Update there, and click the Run the troubleshooter option for it.
- Click Apply this Fix if the troubleshooter provides a resolution.
2.Run an antivirus scan
- An antivirus scan might help fix error 0x8007043c for some users. To initiate an antivirus scan, click the Settings button on the Start menu.
- Select Update & Security, and then click Windows Security on the left of Settings.
- Press the Open Windows Security button.
- Select Virus and threat protection on the left of the window.
- Press the Quick scan button.
- Alternatively, click Scan options and the Full scan option.
- Users with third-party antivirus software will need to initiate scans with those utilities.
3. Scan system files
Corrupted system files can be another factor behind error 0x8007043c, which the System File Checker can repair.
- To initiate an SFC scan, enter the keyword cmd in Windows 10’s search utility.
- Right-click Command Prompt in the search utility and select Run as administrator.
- Before initiating the SFC scan, enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in the Command Prompt.
- Then press the Enter keyboard key.
- Next, input sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt’s window.
- Wait for the SFC scan to weave its magic. Restart Windows when its done.
4. Turn off third-party antivirus utilities
Third-party antivirus software might be blocking your Windows updates. To remedy that, right-click an antivirus icon in your system tray to open its context menu.
Then you can usually select some kind of disable option to turn off the antivirus utility with. If the antivirus utility happens to have a firewall component, like the one shown directly below, disable that as well.
Try updating Windows with the antivirus utility disabled. Some users might need to completely uninstall their antivirus software to stop them blocking Windows updates.
The resolutions above are among the most likely fixes for Windows Update error x8007043c. However, they might not fix the issue for all users. Some users might need to refresh Windows with a repair install or the Reset this PC utility to fix error x8007043c.
If you know of any other method to fix this issue that we may have missed out on, let us know by leaving us a message in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Windows Update errors can also be triggered by poorly installed drivers or incorrect OS settings.
The fastest way to handle IWndows Update errors is by using the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Depends on how it manifests, but Windows Update errors can even lead to fatal system failures.