Fix: Win+X menu not working in Windows 10
Over the years Microsoft added many improvements to Windows, and one new addition to Windows 8 was the Power User Menu, also known as Win+X menu. This feature made its way to Windows 10, but unfortunately some users are complaining that Win+X menu isn’t working on their PC.
Win+X menu not working in Windows 10, how to fix it?
Table of contents:
- Remove QuickSFV
- Uninstall or update AirDroid
- Add a new item to Win+X menu
- Copy WinX folder from a Default user
- Install a language pack
- Use CCleaner
- Use ShellExView
- Check your registry
Fix – Win+X menu not working
Solution 1 – Remove QuickSFV
Users reported that the most common cause for this error is QuickSFV application. This application adds context menu items and that can cause issues with Win+X menu. To fix this problem, simply uninstall QuickSFV and issues with it should be resolved. If you don’t use QuickSFV, be sure to uninstall any application that adds context menu items.
Solution 2 – Uninstall or update AirDroid
According to users, tools such as AirDroid can also interfere with Win+X menu and cause issues with it. To fix this problem you can simply uninstall AirDroid application or update it to the latest version. Users reported that after updating AirDroid app the issue with Win+X menu was completely resolved.
Solution 3 – Add a new item to Win+X menu
Great thing about Win+X menu is that you can customize it by adding new shortcuts to it. According to users, there seems to be a permission problem that prevents Win+X menu from appearing, but you can easily fix it by adding a new item to Win+X menu. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter %localappdata%. Press Enter or click OK.
- Go to MicrosoftWindowsWinX folder.
- You should see three Group folders. Go to any of them and add a new shortcut to it.
After adding a new shortcut, the Win+X menu should start working without any problems.
Solution 4 – Copy WinX folder from a Default user
Sometimes you can fix this issue simply by copying the WinX folder from a Default user folder. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Go to C:UsersDefaultAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindows folder.
- Locate WinX folder and copy it to your profile. To do that, press Windows Key + R, enter %localappdata% and go to the MicrosoftWindows folder. Paste the WinX folder there.
After copying the WinX folder, the issue should be completely resolved.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Autorun.dll errors in Windows 10
Solution 5 – Install a language pack
Few users reported that they fixed this issue simply by installing a language pack. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to Time & language > Region & language.
- Click on Add a language option.
- Select the desired language from the list.
- After the new language is installed, click it and click on Set as default button.
After the display language is changed, Win+X menu should start working again. If Win+X menu works, you can remove the newly added language packs and switch back to your default language.
Solution 6 – Use CCleaner
According to users, this issue is caused by shell extensions but you can use CCleaner to disable them. To disable shell extensions in CCleaner go to Tools > Startup > Context Menu. Users reported that the problem was NVIDIA shell extension called OpenGLShExt Class, and after disabling it the issue was completely resolved.
Users reported that applications such as RWipe & Clean, JRiver Media Center, NCH Express Zip or WinMerge can cause this issue as well. In fact, almost any shell extension can cause this issue to appear, so you might have to disable several shell extensions before you find the one that is causing this issue.
Solution 7 – Use ShellExView
According to users, you can fix this problem by finding and disabling the problematic shell extension. To do that, you can use ShellExView tool. Simply start this tool and disable all non-Microsoft entries. Restart Windows Explorer and go back to the ShellExView. Now try enabling shell extensions in groups or one by one until you find the one that is causing this issue.
Keep in mind that you’ll have to restart Windows Explorer every time you disable or enable a shell extension.
Solution 8 – Check your registry
Sometimes issues with your registry can cause Win+X menu to stop working. Apparently, changing the shortcut settings in registry can cause this issue, therefore if you made any changes in registry related to shortcuts, you might want to revert those changes. To fix this problem, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpiffile key in the left pane and make sure that IsShortcut entry is available in the right pane. Apparently, you can change the look of shortcut icon by renaming this entry to ShortcutIs, but that will cause Win+X menu to stop working. Therefore if you remember renaming IsShortcut, be sure to rename it back to the original name.
- After that, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile key and repeat the same steps.
We also recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to scan and fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Win+X menu is one useful feature that allows you to quickly access Windows 10 settings, and if you have any issues with it you should be able to fix them by using some of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix corrupted OneDrive files and shortcuts after Anniversary Update
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update causes Start Menu problems
- Fix Start Menu issues using the Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter
- Fix: ‘Critical Error Start Menu not working’ on Windows 10
- How to Enable or Disable Submenus Inside Start Menu in Windows 10
A serial port can be useful, but some users reported Unable to open serial port message on their PC. This can be a big problem, […]
Most of us print documents frequently, but sometimes Operation on the printer is required message can appear and prevent you from printing. This can be […]