Over the course of 12 years, World of Warcraft has gathered a devoted community. Then that community constantly takes an active involvement in the game advancements. It upgrades the game, and designs it to its own taste. Once you check out all those add-ons, your look at the game will change, and Vanilla will become just a distant newbie past.
However, with the Blizzards API update, some of the users had an enormous issue. It resets addons default settings. If you’ve ever tweaked your addons, you know well how much time it can take. But, don’t worry, you can retrieve all your settings in a few simple steps.
How to retrieve your lost addon settings in WoW
Copy original account content to a newly created one
It looks like the original account folder changed from # <single digit at the end of your account name> to #0. There is a simple workaround:
- Log off and close the game.
- Enter the WoW installation folder.
- Find and back up WTF folder.
- In the WTF folder, look for changes in your account name.
- Copy content of account with know number into the newly created one.
- Restart the game.
Update your addons
After every World of Warcraft API change, addon developers update their packs, as well. So, be sure to have the latest updates for all your in-game addons. On the other hand, you should get rid of outdated addons.
In addition, you can also rename all your SavedVariable*.lua.bak files to *.lua and see if that restores things. This might be a long shot, but it’s worth a try. Of course, don’t forget to back up the WTF folder before trying to change files extensions.
These are probably the best solutions for your addon-related issues in World of Warcraft. We are aware of painful redos and how much time and energy the whole process can cost you.
Are you having some other possible solutions or ideas related to the subject? Please be free to share it with us in the comments section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 5 American trucking simulator games for Windows 10 users
- Resident Evil 7 Biohazard PC specs: make sure your computer meets them
- Ashbourne game issues: Too many bugs break a promising game
- Dota 2 FPS issues: Here’s how to fix them
- How to fix high latency and frequent disconnects in World of Warcraft