One of the key features of Windows 10 is the ability to stream video games from Xbox One to your PC using the Xbox app. We did a quick guide on how to connect Xbox One to Windows 10 but unfortunately, it seems some users were unable to stream games because the Xbox app keeps closing. While this can be a big problem, fortunately there’s a solution available.
Xbox App Keeps Closing, How To Fix It?
Many users reported that Xbox app keeps closing on their PC, and this can be a big problem. Speaking of Xbox app and its issues, here are some common problems that users encountered:
- Xbox app crashes when streaming, joining party, uploading video – These are some common problems with Xbox app, and if you encounter it, try resetting the Xbox app to default.
- Xbox app freezes Windows 10 – If your Xbox app freezes, it’s possible that the issue is related to Catalyst Control Center. To fix it, you might have to disable certain features.
- Xbox app keeps closes randomly – This can happen if the Xbox app isn’t installed properly. However, you can fix the issue simply by reinstalling it.
- Xbox app not launching Windows 10 – This can be an annoying problem, and we covered it in-depth in our Xbox app won’t open article, so be sure to check it out.
- Xbox app keeps shutting down – Sometimes your Xbox app can shut down due to your power settings, but after you prevent your display from shutting down, the issue should be resolved.
- Xbox app not working, won’t open – This is another common problem, and we covered it in-depth in our Xbox app won’t work/download article, so feel free to check it out.
Solution 1 – Delete your Xbox Live messages
According to users, sometimes the Xbox app can crash due to certain messages in your inbox. We’re not sure why this happens, but the only solution so far is to delete Xbox Live messages. If you can’t delete them using the Xbox app, you can always use the Xbox One SmartGlass app. After deleting Xbox Live messages, make sure to log out of the Xbox app on Windows 10. After signing back in, problems with the Xbox app should be fixed.
A few users reported that the issue might persist even after deleting the Xbox Live messages and in order to fix the problem, you’ll have to start the Xbox app, wait for a while and try sending a message to one of your friends via their profile. After you’ve done that, the issue should be completely resolved.
Solution 2 – Disable the dual mode in Catalyst Control Centre
If the Xbox app keeps closing on your Windows 10 PC, the problem might be related to Crossfire. If you’re using an AMD graphic card, you can fix this problem by disabling the dual mode in Catalyst Control Center. To do that follow these steps:
- Open Catalyst Control Center and go to Performance.
- Now choose AMD CrossFireX tab and disable Enable AMD CrossFireX for applications that have no associated application profile option.
- Save changes.
After disabling this option, the problem should be completely resolved and the Xbox app should start working once again. Many users reported that this solution worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
You can also try turning off Morphological Filtering in Catalyst Control Centre. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Catalyst Control Center.
- Navigate to Gaming settings and choose 3D Application Settings.
- Turn off Morphological Filtering.
- Press Apply and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 3 – Turn off EVGA PrecisionX
EVGA PrecisionX is an overclocking tool for your graphic card and although it can give you increased performance, it can also cause issues with certain applications such as the Xbox app. If the Xbox app keeps closing on your computer, you might want to try disabling EVGA PrecisionX in order to fix this problem.
Solution 4 – Switch to Favorites list when Xbox app starts
According to users, it seems the Xbox app closes every time it’s opened due to some strange bug related to the friends list. Users report that the friend list doesn’t load for them, and after a few seconds the Xbox app closes itself. This happens every time and in order to fix it, you just need to quickly switch to the favorites list. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start the Xbox app. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + S and typing Xbox. Choose Xbox from the list of results.
- As soon as the Xbox app starts up, switch from Friends to Favorites list.
- The Xbox app should work properly now, as long as you don’t switch back to the Friends list.
If this solution works for you, bear in mind that you’ll have to repeat it every time you start Xbox app on your Windows 10 device.
Solution 5 – Prevent your monitor from sleeping
This is an unusual solution, but if Xbox app is closing on your PC, the problem might be your power settings. Apparently, if your display is set to go to sleep or turn itself off, that can sometimes cause issues with the Xbox app and cause it to crash.
By changing your power settings and preventing your monitor from sleeping you might be able to fix this issue. To make changes to your power plan, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and type power settings. Now select Power & sleep settings from the list.
- Settings app will now open. Go to the Additional power settings in Related settings category.
- You’ll now see the list of power plans on your PC. Locate the power plan that you’re currently using and click Change plan settings next to it.
- Set Turn off display to Never and click Save changes.
After doing that, your display won’t turn itself anymore and that should hopefully fix the problem with the Xbox app.
Solution 6 – Reinstall the Xbox app
If Xbox app is closing constantly on Windows 10, there might be some issues with the app itself. However, you might be able to fix this issue simply by reinstalling the Xbox app. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter powershell. Choose Windows PowerShell from the list of results, right-click it and choose Run as administrator.
- When PowerShell starts, enter Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage and press Enter to run it.
Once the Xbox app is removed, open the Windows Store and download Xbox app once again. After the Xbox app is installed, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter
Xbox app is a Windows Store app, and if you’re having issues with it, you might be able to fix them simply by running the built-in troubleshooter. As you probably know, Windows has all sorts of troubleshooters that are designed to fix common problems automatically, and sometimes these troubleshooters can fix this issue.
To use Windows Store apps troubleshooter, do the following:
- Open the Settings app. You can open it easily by using the Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When Settings app opens, go to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left. Pick Windows Store Apps from the list. Click the Run the troubleshooter button to start the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooting process.
After the troubleshooting is finished, check if the problem with Xbox app is still there.
Solution 8 – Make sure that Xbox app and your system are up to date
If you’re having issues with Xbox app on your PC, you might be able to fix them simply by updating Xbox app to the latest version. To check for updates in Microsoft Store, just do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and type store. Select Microsoft Store from the list of results.
- In Windows Store click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and choose Downloads and updates.
- Now click Get updates button.
After doing that,the Xthe box app should be updated and the problem will be resolved. In addition to updating your Xbox app, it’s also important to keep your system up to date. For the most part, Windows 10 keeps itself up to date, but you can check for updates anytime by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, go to the Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates. If any updates are available, they’ll be downloaded automatically in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. After both your system and Xbox app are up to date, the problem with Xbox app should be completely resolved.
Solution 9 – Reset the Xbox app
If Xbox app keeps closing, one way to fix it is to reset it to default. By doing so, you’ll remove all your settings and cache and hopefully the problem will be resolved. To reset the Xbox app, you just need to do the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Apps section.
- Select Xbox from the list and click Advanced options.
- Scroll down to the Reset section and click Reset.
- Click the Reset button once again to confirm.
After doing that, your Xbox app will be reset to default and the problem should be resolved.
The Xbox app is great on Windows 10 but if your Xbox app is closing on you, feel free to try some of our solutions. We have also covered what to do if your Xbox app won’t open on Windows 10, so you might want to have a look at that article as well if this is also a problem you’re experiencing.
- READ ALSO: Fix: CD Games Won’t Play On Windows 10