Unable to sign in to Xbox account in Windows 10 [BEST SOLUTIONS]
Windows 10 comes with many improvements, and one of those improvements is related to Xbox. As you know Windows 10 comes with Xbox app, but it seems that some users can’t sign in to their Xbox account on Windows 10.
When trying to sign in users are greeted with “We are unable to sign you in at the moment. Try again later” (0x409) message, so their Xbox app is basically useless.
If you’re a gamer, this can be a big problem, but there are few solutions that you might want to try.
What can I do if I’m unable to sign in to Xbox account on Windows 10?
Many users use Xbox app on their Windows 10 PC, however, some users reported that they are unable to sign in to their Xbox account. Speaking of Xbox account and issues, users reported the following problems as well:
- Xbox app Windows 10 can’t sign in – This is a relatively common problem with Xbox app on Windows 10, but you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
- Can’t sign into Xbox app Windows 10 0x409 – Another common problem that can prevent you from signing in to Xbox app is error 0x409. However, you should be able to fix this issue by reinstalling your Xbox application.
- Xbox app Windows 10 won’t open – Many users reported that they are unable to use their Xbox app at all. We covered a similar issue in our Xbox app won’t open article, so be sure to check it out for more solutions.
- Xbox Windows 10 not working – Several users reported that Xbox application isn’t working at all on their PC. To fix this issue, be sure to check if necessary Xbox services are running.
- Xbox Windows 10 login error – This is another common problem with Xbox app. To fix the issue, you might have to create a new user account and check if the Xbox app works on it.
- Xbox account Windows 10 error 0xbba, 0x3fb – Sometimes you might encounter 0xbba or 0x3fb error while trying to run Xbox app. These errors can be annoying, but you should be able to fix them using one of our solutions.
Solution 1 – Make sure that Xbox services aren’t disabled
The first thing we’re going to do is to make sure all necessary Xbox services are enabled. To do that, follow these instructions:
- In the Search bar type services. Select the Services from the list of results.
- Scroll to the bottom and find the following services: Xbox Live Auth Manager, Xbox Live Game Save, Xbox Live Networking Service.
- You’ll have to repeat this process for each of the services listed above. Right click the service and select Properties.
- Find Startup type section and make sure it’s set to Automatic. If the service isn’t started, click Start to start the services. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
After you’ve done all of that, your Xbox app should be working.
Solution 2 – Clear the local Xbox identity data
- Open File Explorer.
- In the address bar paste the following:
- If there are Accounts and Cache folders available make sure that you delete them.
After removing the cache, try to start Xbox app again.
Solution 3 – Reinstall Xbox app
And if nothing else helps, you can try to reinstall the Xbox app and see if your login problems are gone. Here’s what you need to do to reinstall the Xbox app:
- Open PowerShell as administrator. You can do this by searching for powershell in the Search bar and right clicking the PowerShell in the list of results. Then just select Run as administrator from the menu and that’s it.
- Paste this into PowerShell and press Enter to run it:
Solution 4 – Use Command Prompt
If you’re unable to sign in to Xbox Account on Windows 10, the issue might be caused by service host separation. However, you can easily fix the issue simply by running a single command in Command Prompt. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- Once the Command Prompt starts, run the REG ADD HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesXblAuthManager /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f command.
After running this command, restart your PC and check if the problem still persists.
Solution 5 – Check if Xbox services are starting with your PC
Few users reported that they were unable to sign in to Xbox account because Xbox services weren’t starting with their PC. To fix this issue, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Press Enter or click OK.
- Go to Services tab and make sure that all Xbox services are checked. After checking all Xbox services, save changes.
Now you just need to restart your PC and check if the issue still persists.
If you want to know how to add or remove startup apps on Windows 10, check out this simple guide.
Solution 6 – Restart your PC
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, and if you’re unable to sign in to Xbox account, you might be able to temporarily fix this problem by restarting your PC.
According to users, this is just a temporary solution, but if you need to quickly fix the problem, you might want to try it out.
Many users reported that PC restart fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it.
Solution 7 – Install the missing updates
Windows 10 is a solid operating system, but sometimes certain bugs and issues can appear. If you’re unable to sign in to Xbox account on your PC, you might be able to solve that by installing the latest updates.
By default, Windows 10 automatically installs the updates in the background, but sometimes you might miss an important update. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, go to Update & Security.
- Click on Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are installed, check if the issue still persists.
Several users reported that updating their Windows fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try that. In addition to updating Windows, be sure to update Xbox app as well.
If you can’t open the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
Solution 8 – Disable LG Screen Split App
Users that have ultrawide monitors might not be able to sign in to Xbox account due to third-party applications. According to users, applications such as LG Screen Split App can cause this problem to appear on your PC.
To fix the issue, you just have to disable this application and the problem should be resolved. Keep in mind that other applications that are related to your display can also cause this problem to appear.
Another application that is related to this problem is Wacom, and in order to fix the problem, you’ll have to remove it.
There are several ways to uninstall an application, but if you want to completely remove it, we advise you to use an uninstaller application.
If you need more options, check out this list with the best uninstallers for Windows 10.
Solution 9 – Disconnect the second monitor
According to users, sometimes dual monitors can cause this issue to appear. If you are unable to sign in to Xbox account on your PC, you need to disconnect your second monitor before you start the Xbox app.
After doing that, start the application again and then connect your second monitor.
This is just a workaround, but it works according to users, so if you’re using a dual monitor setup, be sure to try this solution.
Solution 10 – Start the application from administrator account
If you are unable to sign in to Xbox account on your Windows PC, you might be able to fix the problem by starting the application from an administrator account.
According to users, the application needs an administrator account in order to initialize properly.
To do that, you just need to log in to the administrator account on your PC and start Xbox app from there. After doing that, just go back to your user account and try to start Xbox app again.
If you don’t have another account on your PC, you can create it by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Accounts section.
- Go to Family & other people section and then click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Click I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired user name and click Next.
After creating a new account, switch to it and check if the issue appears on the new account. According to users, this simple solution worked for them, so you might want to try it out.
Learn everything there is to know about the administrator account and how you can enable/disable it right here.
That’s about it, we hope at least one of these solutions helped you with your Xbox login issue in Windows 10.
If you have any questions or comments, just let us know in the comments below and we’ll be sure to take a look.
- How to view your friends’ activity using the Xbox app on Windows 10
- Fix: Xbox app keeps closing on Windows 10
- Fix: Streaming Lags in Xbox App for Windows 10
- How to use a PC as a TV for the Xbox
- Xbox One controller is not working on PC? We may have the solution
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Tumbler is a popular social media website that allows its users to create blogs and share their content with others. More than 465 million people […]