- More than a few gamers have claimed that their Xbox controllers have stopped working and are no longer recognized.
- It's possible that Windows 11 isn't recognizing USB drives because of outdated or malfunctioning drivers, or because of power management settings.
- One option for resolving the issue is to install the most recent version of the controller drivers.
Experiencing problems and glitches is nothing new as it has become a regular occurrence for some users, following the installation of Windows 11.
A serious problem with the connection between the Xbox controller and the PC has been reported by a large number of customers.
The error notice appears to say that the USB device is not detected, in which case we will need to install the most recent driver update available.
If your Xbox controller isn’t working properly for any other reason, the methods listed below may still be able to resolve your problem. Make sure to carefully try them out, step by step.
What Xbox controllers work with PC?
It’s possible to use an Xbox One controller to play games on your computer if you prefer a gamepad over a mouse and keyboard when gaming on your computer.
Furthermore, because the Xbox One controller is natively supported by Windows 11 (as well as Windows 10), the setup process is extremely simple.
The technique by which you connect your Xbox One controller to your PC, on the other hand, may differ slightly based on the type of gamepad you have and the method by which you choose to connect.
If you don’t mind a wired connection, utilizing a USB cable to connect any sort of Xbox One controller to a PC is by far the simplest method of getting started. Microsoft’s Xbox One S and Elite gamepads can be used using this manner as well.
All Xbox One controllers are equipped with a Micro USB port. Because of this, you can connect them directly to a PC by utilizing a Micro USB to USB Type-A adapter (sold separately). And, since Windows can automatically recognize connected Xbox One controllers, there’s nothing more to it.
What can I do if the controller isn’t recognized in Windows 11?
1. Unplug and replug the controller
You can restart your Xbox console, do a full power cycle, or physically detach it from your computer to totally reboot it and resolve many common difficulties.
Try unplugging and replugging the controller into the PC several times. This straightforward strategy should always be the first method you try, as it consistently produces positive results.
2. Update the USB driver
- Right-click on the Start icon then choose Device Manager.
- Now expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers folder, right-click on every USB option and tap on Update driver.
- Wait for the processes to end, then restart your computer to apply the changes made. Now you can retry using the Xbox controller.
In case you need to update your USB driver automatically and save more time, with DriverFix the process will be done in minutes and you will enjoy the latest version of any driver.
3. Reinstall the Xbox controller driver
- Right-click on the Start icon then choose Device Manager.
- Now expand the Xbox One controller section, right-click it and tap on Uninstall device.
- Once the operation is completed, restart your PC. While the computer is rebooting, Windows will automatically reinstall the driver.
4. Disable your antivirus
- Click the expand arrow from your taskbar and right-click on your antivirus icon then choose Avast shields control followed by Disable for 10 minutes.
- If you have other antivirus programs installed, you can disable the app temporarily by following the same steps as above, or similar steps.
5. Update Windows
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app, then click on Windows Update in the left panel.
- In the event that there are any new updates that need to be downloaded, the Install now option should be used; otherwise, the Check for updates button should be used to determine whether any new updates have been issued.
By updating your operating system, it may be able to fix the problem, which could be caused by an earlier version of Windows. The bug will very certainly be fixed in a later version of the software.
6. Change the USB cable
If you’re seeing a notice saying USB device not recognized while trying to use an Xbox controller, it’s possible that the problem is with your cable.
According to users, there are various different types of USB cables, with some cables being built solely for charging and others being designed to allow both charging and data transfer.
To determine if your Xbox controller isn’t working properly or if it isn’t being recognized, try swapping out the USB cord to see if that solves the problem.
How can I fix the Xbox controller driver error in Windows 11?
Though we have discussed the most relevant and effective fixes in the previous section, it’s most likely the Xbox controller driver error in Windows 11 behind the issue.
And for such issues, the two best troubleshooting techniques are to either update the driver in case you are using an older version, or to manually install the driver. These two methods are bound to eliminate any problems.
If these two don’t work, you can always try disconnecting and then reconnecting the controller. Oftentimes, Windows 11 is unable to install the Xbox controller driver automatically which leads to the error. But simply reconnecting it would most likely fix it.
So, now whether you are facing the Xbox controller driver error in Windows 11, or it’s not recognized, you know how to get rid of them both and enjoy the games on your Xbox.
What does the Xbox Game Pass do?
All Windows 11 users have simple access to Xbox Game Pass, which is by far Microsoft’s most significant new gaming platform to date. Several other subscription services have attempted to establish themselves as the Netflix of video games, but this app is the genuine article.
It starts at $10 a month and gives you access to a constantly changing collection of excellent PC titles. Game Pass is available on consoles as well, for a monthly subscription fee of $15.
Along with every major Microsoft game, from Gears 5 to Halo Infinite, the library also includes an abundance of fascinating third-party titles, such as Dragon Ball FighterZ and The Forgotten City. Games are only available for a limited time on the service, so take advantage of them while you can.
If you purchase Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you will also receive Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass for PC, EA Play, and access to Xbox Cloud Gaming (previously known as Project xCloud) for the same price as the base Xbox Game Pass.
To learn more about this gorgeous Windows 11 feature, take a peek at our post on the best features, games, and deals available on Xbox Game Pass.
For further information and potential solutions that are also applicable to Windows 11, check out our article on how to fix Xbox One controller not recognized error in Windows 10.
Alternatively, you may take a look at our guide on how to fix Windows 11 not detecting USB devices to discover a different set of solutions that you can use to resolve the Xbox issue.
Let us know in the comments below which solution worked best for you as well as which game you play the most from the Xbox Game Pass bundle. Thanks for reading!