- Below troubleshooting steps will help you address errors that may occur when you try to play a DVD on your Xbox. After this you will be able to use again your favorite console.
- Xbox is more than a gaming console, it’s a multimedia device that supports a wide range of media. A great addition to this list are the streaming services.
- Find more tips and tricks on our Xbox troubleshooting hub. Here we collect all kinds of Xbox related information, guides, and other goodies.
- You can also check the Fix Xbox One issues page that deals exclusively with fixing Xbox issues.
Xbox is more than a gaming console, it’s a multimedia device that supports a wide range of media.
Since Xbox is a multimedia device, users use it to play DVDs, but sometimes errors while playing DVDs can occur, and today we’re going to show you how to fix those errors.
How to fix Xbox errors when playing a DVD?
- Check your parental controls
- Check the DVD region
- Clean your disc
- Try playing your disc on a different console
- Check if the Blu-ray player app is installed
- Change the power mode
- Place your Xbox upright
- Clear Blu-ray disc persistent storage and MAC address
- Hold the disc tray for few seconds
- Change the Blu-ray settings
1. Check your parental controls
In most cases, these errors occur due to your parental controls.
Parental control is a great feature that allows you to choose what kind of content can you access on Xbox, but sometimes it can happen that you accidentally blocked certain DVDs from playing.
To fix this problem we advise you to review your parental controls and check if everything is in order. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Family.
- Select the Gamertag whose settings you want to change.
- Under Privacy & Online Settings, choose Change Settings.
- Make the necessary changes.
If you prefer, you can also change parental controls through your PC by following these steps:
- Sign in to your Xbox account using any web browser.
- Click on My account > Security, family & forums.
- Now click on Xbox 360 Online Safety.
- Select the account whose settings you want to adjust.
- Make necessary changes and click Save.
After changing parental controls on your Xbox, check if the problem with playing DVDs is resolved.
2. Check the DVD region
Some DVDs can only be played in a certain region and before playing them you need to check their region code. All DVDs have a region code on the DVD case, and if you bought your DVD in a different region, you might not be able to play it on your Xbox.
For example, if you bought your Xbox in the US, but you bought your DVD in Europe or any other region, you most likely won’t be able to play it. If that’s the case, you can’t do much except for using a DVD that is compatible with your region.
3. Clean your disc
Sometimes you can fix this problem simply by cleaning your disc. To do that use soft, clean, slightly wet cloth. Hold the disc by the edges and be sure not to touch its surface.
Use the cloth and clean the disc by wiping the disc from the center to the edges in a straight motion. After the disc is cleaned, make sure that it’s dry and try to play it again.
4. Try playing your disc on a different console
If you can’t play DVD on your Xbox, you might want to try the disc on a different Xbox console.
By doing so you’ll be able to determine if the problem is your console or the disc. If your disc plays without any problems on a different console, it means that there might be an issue with your Xbox.
5. Check if the Blu-ray player app is installed
If you have problems playing Blu-ray discs, you have to check if the Blu-ray Player app is installed on your console. If you don’t have Blu-ray app, you can install it by following these steps:
- On your Home screen, select Store.
- Now select Search.
- In the search bar enter Blu-ray and press the Menu button.
- Select Blu-ray Player app once it appears.
- Select Free or Install option to download and install the Blu-ray app.
Alternatively, you can install the Blu-ray app simply by inserting the disc. To do that, follow these steps:
- Insert a Blu-ray or DVD disc to your console.
- Select Blu-ray Player app.
- Select Free or Install option.
- Wait for the app to install and the disc should start playing automatically.
After you install the app, you should be able to watch DVDs simply by inserting the disc into your console and choosing the Blu-ray Player from the Home screen.
6. Change the power mode
If you can’t play a DVD on your console, you might want to try changing your power mode.
Users reported some issues with Instant-On power mode, so you might want to change that by following these steps:
- On the Home screen scroll left to open the guide.
- Select Settings > All Settings.
- Now select Power > Power mode.
- Select an Energy-saving option.
- Now you need to perform a hard power cycle. To do that, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- After your console shuts down, turn it back on again by pressing the power button.
- Insert the disc again and check if the problem is resolved.
7. Place your Xbox upright
Some users reported that they are unable to play games on their Xbox. After inserting the game disc, they would get an option to play DVD thus making their games unable to run.
One suggested solution is to place your Xbox upright. After doing that, insert the game disc again and wait until Xbox recognizes it.
After that, your disc should be recognized and you’ll be able to play your game.
8. Clear Blu-ray disc persistent storage and MAC address
By default Xbox, One will automatically download content related to your Blu-ray discs, such as extra features for movies for example.
Sometimes this content can cause problems while playing DVDs, therefore you need to remove it.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Disc & Blu-Ray.
- In the Blu-Ray section select Persistent Storage.
- Now select Clear persistent storage.
- Optional: Clear the persistent storage couple of times to fix the problem.
After doing that, you need to clear the MAC address by doing the following:
- Press Start on the Home screen.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Now go to Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternative Mac Address.
- Select the Clear option.
- Optional: Shut down your console and disconnect all cables. Leave your console for two minutes or more and than reconnect all the cables and restart your console.
9. Hold the disc tray for a few seconds
Few users reported that they managed to fix this problem simply by holding their disc tray for a few seconds when inserting the disc. This sometimes fixes the problem while playing DVDs, so you might want to try that.
10. Change the Blu-ray settings
According to users, you might be able to fix this problem simply by changing the Blu-ray settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Disc & Blu-ray.
- If you’re living in the US, make sure that the 120Hz option is checked. If you’re located in the UK or using a 220Hz, select the 24Hz option.
- After doing that, check if the problem is resolved.
Playing DVDs on Xbox isn’t always a smooth process, and sometimes certain errors can occur. If you encounter any errors while playing DVDs on your Xbox, be sure to try some of our solutions from this article.
FAQ: Learn more about Xbox Blu-ray setup
- Can I watch Blu Ray on Xbox One in any region?
Xbox One consoles are manufactured for a specific Blu-ray and DVD region, following international standards. The Xbox One console can play Blu-ray discs and DVDs that are sold in the same region as the console.
- Can you watch Blu Ray on Xbox One without Internet?
Xbox One includes a Blu-ray drive to enable you to play Blu-rays on Xbox One. But it needs an internet connection to play Blu-ray movies on Xbox One. If you ever want to use your Xbox One to play Blu-ray without connecting to Xbox Live, you can set your console offline.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and it has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.