Fix: “You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store” error
Windows Store is one of Win 10’s built-in apps. The store is the primary window through which developers distribute Windows apps. However, the app doesn’t always run smoothly; and some users have found bugs with it.
One Windows Store error message states, “You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store.” The store doesn’t open when it returns that error message. The error usually occurs as a consequence of missing or corrupted app files, and this is how you can fix it.
But first, here are some more examples of this issue:
- You’ll need a new app to open this Microsoft Edge – This is a common issue that appears when trying to open Microsoft Edge.
- You’ll need a new app to open this Steam – Although Steam is not a UWP app, it can also cause this problem.
- You’ll need a new app to open this MS Paint – Since Microsoft moved Paint to the UWP platform, this issue is also common with the most famous image editor.
- You’ll need a new app to open this MS Gaming overlay – Similarly to Steam, this issue can also appear when trying to access the Gaming overlay.
- You’ll need a new app to open this Calculator – The same thing goes for the Calculator app.
How to fix “You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store” in Windows 10
Table of contents:
- Run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Reinstall Windows Store
- Reset the app’s Cache
- Check your Region settings
- Install Windows updates
- Create a new User Account
- Re-register the Store app
- Revert Windows Back to a Restore Point
Fix – “You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store”
Solution 1 – Run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
The first thing we’re going to try is also the simplest one. We’ll run the Apps Troubleshooter, to see if it can resolve the issue for us. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select Windows Store Apps from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 2 – Reset Microsoft Store
If the troubleshooter didn’t get the job done, we can as well try to reset the Store. This is fairly simple, and it requires running just one single command. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Search, type wsreset.exe.
- Open WSReset.exe and let the process finish.
Solution 3 – Reset the app’s Cache
If the Microsoft Store app’s cache accumulated over time, it’s a good idea to clear it. Maybe clearing the cache will also resolve this problem. Here’s how to clear the Store cache in Windows 10:
- Enable View Hidden Folders.
- Copy-paste this path in the Windows File Explorer address bar, but replace <username> with your account name:
- Rename the Cache folder from the LocalState folder. It’s your choice how to rename it.
- Create a new, empty folder and name it Cache.
- Restart your computer and you are good to go.
Solution 4 – Check your Region settings
Microsoft Store doesn’t work the same way in every region. Also, if the region on your computer is different to your actual location, there might be some problems. So, we’re going to check if your region settings are set correctly. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Settings app and go to Time & language section.
- Select Region & language tab and change your country or region.
You can also change your region by doing the following:
- Open Control Panel and select Region from the list.
- When the Region window opens go to Location tab and change the Home location. After you’re done click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is fixed.
Solution 5 – Install Windows updates
As the Store is a part of Windows 10, frequent Windows updates may affect it. So, if this is a widespread problem, there’s a good chance Microsoft will eventually release a fixing patch. To make sure you receive all the necessary patches, keep your Windows 10 up to date. Even though Windows installs updates automatically, you can always check by yourself by going to Settings > Windows Update.
Solution 6 – Create a new User Account
Some users also suggest that accessing the Store from an Account different than your default one can be helpful. So, if none of the previous solutions resolved the problem, try creating a new User Account and access the Store from it. Here’s how to create a new User Account in Windows 10:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Accounts.
- Now in the left pane go to Family & other people. In the right pane, click Add someone else to this PC.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired username and click Next to proceed.
Solution 7 – Re-register the Store app
And finally, if none of the previous solutions resolved the problem, you can go with re-registring the Store app package. Here’s how to do that:
- Right-click the Start Menu and open PowerShell (Admin).
- In the command line, copy-paste the following command and press Enter:
- Restart your PC and try to log-in again.
Solution 8 – Revert Windows Back to a Restore Point
If Store was working fine a few weeks or months back, then recently installed third-party software, especially anti-virus utilities, might be crashing the app in some way. Reverting Windows back to system restore point will remove third-party programs installed after the restore point’s date and could feasibly fix Store. This is how you can restore Windows to a previous date with System Restore.
- Press the Win key + R hotkey to open Run.
- Enter ‘rstrui.exe’ in the Run text box, and press OK to open System Restore as below.
- Press the Next button, and select the Show more restore points option.
- Choose a date to restore Windows to. Select a restore point date when the Store app opened without any error message.
- Then you can click Next > Finish to restore Windows.
Those are some of the best potential fixes for the “need a new app to open this ms-windows-store” error. This Windows Report guide also includes some tips for fixing apps that aren’t opening.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK:
- Full Fix: Windows Store cache may be damaged
- Windows Store needs to be online: 5 ways to fix this error
- Fix: Windows Store closes immediately after opening
- Windows Store app download stuck? Here’s how to fix it in 7 steps
- Fix: Windows Store closes immediately after opening
From the tail end of the 20th century, up to about a decade ago, CDs and DVDs constitute the major options for media storage. Today, […]
Kinetic typography can be found almost anywhere on the web. This handy way of presenting text is popular because it successfully catches your attention. Videos […]