Let’s start by saying there are only two browsers that still officially support Java. Just Internet Explorer and Safari. Now, there are workarounds for certain browsers, while Firefox is being the only exception out of all major browsers.
If you get the error your browser is not set up to run Java Applets, you’ll need to enable Java in browsers from the Java Control Panel and do some tweaking.
Depending on your browser of choice, of course, we have instructions on how to make Java Applets work for you. Check the steps below.
How to make Java Applets work in a browser
1. Enable Java content in the browser
- Download and install Java for Windows, here.
- In the Windows Search bar, type Java and open Configure Java from the list of results.
- In the Java Control Panel, check the Enable Java content for browser and Web Start applications box.
- Confirm changes.
2. Google Chrome
- For Google Chrome, you’ll need the IE Tab to simulate the Internet Explorer engine in order to run Java Applets. Get it here.
- After that, install IE Tab Helper application on your PC. You can get it here or just click on the extension icon in the top right corner and it should download automatically. It’s a necessary tool if you want to run Java on Chrome.
- After that, you should be able to simulate the Internet Explorer engine in Chrome and use Java Applets without any issues.
3. Microsoft Edge
- If you get to a webpage with the Java content or Applets you need to run, the simple workaround is to open the said page in Internet Explorer.
- To do so, click on the 3-dot menu and expand More tools.
- There, just click on the Open with Internet Explorer option.
4. Internet Explorer
- Now, the easiest way is to use Internet Explorer from the get-go. Now, if you are unable to run Java on Internet Explorer, open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the cog Tools menu and open Internet Options.
- Under the Security tab, click on the Internet icon.
- Click on the Custom level.
- Make sure that the Scripting for Java applets is enabled.
- Restart Internet Explorer and try again.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 application blocked by Java security [QUICK FIX]