- Programs are an integral part of the Windows 10 experience, as they can be used for both productivity and entertainment purposes.
- Unfortunately, a variety of issues can lead to problems when trying to launch programs and applications, and that is when you need to follow certain troubleshooting steps.
- We've covered this issue, and many more in our dedicated hub for fixing System Errors, so make sure you save it in your browser because you'll need to visit it again.
- We have even more useful articles in our specialized Windows 10 Fix page, so check that out as well.
How do I solve 0xc00007b error when an app doesn’t start in Windows 10?
- Install latest .NET framework version
- Reinstall the latest version of the problematic app
- Run the app/file as admin
- Restart your Windows PC
- Install Windows Updates
- Install the latest Visual C++
- Use command prompt
- Reinstall Windows
- Check disk for errors
The error 0xc00007b usually appears in your Windows operating system with the message “the application was unable to start correctly”.
This issue mainly happens when you try to run applications that are not compatible with the version of Windows that you are using.
Following the lines below will show you what you can do in order to fix the error message 0xc00007b “The application was unable to start correctly” and how to avoid this error message in the future.
Using your Windows operating system you should keep in mind that there are some applications and games that you can install on a 32-bit platform operating system and some applications and games that only work on a 64-bit operating system and that is why you get this error message.
If the application is not compatible with your operating system then you will most likely get the 0xc00007b error.
1. Install latest .NET framework version
- The first step that you will need to take is to reinstall the .NET framework with the latest version available by accessing the link below.
- Left click here to install the latest .NET framework
2. Reinstall the latest version of the problematic app
- If reinstalling the .NET framework did not work then you will need to uninstall the application or game that you are having this issue with.
- Reinstall the latest version of the application back to your system.
- Reboot your Windows operating system.
- Try running the application again and see if you still get the 0xc00007b error.
3. Run the app/file as admin
- Go to the root folder of the application you are trying to run.
- Right-click or hold the tap button on the application executable file.
- Left click or tap on the Properties feature in the menu that appears.
- Left click or tap on the “Compatibility” tab situated in the upper side of the window.
- Now under the “Privilege Level” topic, you will need to left click to check the box next to “Run this program as administrator”.
- Left click or tap on the “Apply” button in the lower side of this window.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button in the lower side of this window.
- Now try running the application and see if you still get this error message.
Learn everything there is to know about the administrator account and how you can enable/disable it in this useful guide.
4. Restart your Windows PC
After you reinstall the application or game you will need to restart the Windows operating system as soon as it prompts you for a reboot.
Note: Most of the applications or games will require a reboot of the system after installation.
5. Install Windows Updates
Install all available updates in your Windows 10 operating system by accessing the “Windows Updates” feature.
6. Install the latest Visual C++
- Left click or tap on the link below in order to download and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++
- Left click or tap here to install Microsoft Visual C++
- Reboot the Windows operating system after the installation process is completed and try your application now.
7. Use command prompt
- Press the “Windows” key and right click on the “cmd” icon you are presented there.
- Select the “Run as administrator” feature.
- You now have a command prompt with administrative privileges in front of you.
- Write in the command prompt window the following: “c: /f /r” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
Note: If you have more than one partitions you need to check you should write the command above but change the partition and press the “Enter” button (example “e: /f /r” which will check the “E” partition).
8. Reinstall Windows
- Copy your files to an external hard drive to have a backup.
- Do a clean install of your Windows operating system.
- And be sure that all the applications you install are compatible with the version of Windows you use.
Note: They should be compatible either with 32-bit version of Windows or with the 64-bit version of Windows.
If you want to know how to backup your files on Windows 10, take a look at this dedicated guide to find out more. If you’re interested in a software option that will easily backup your data, check out this list with the best ones available.
9. Check disk for errors
For some of you, the error might be solved by simply running a disk check. Here is how to do it:
- Open Computer/This PC
- Right-click on Disk C
- From the list, select Properties
- Select the Tools tab and click on Check
- Wait until the scan is complete. It will automatically fix system errors that it founds
- Restart your PC and try to relaunch the software/application that was not working
FAQ: Learn more about application launch errors
- Why don’t programs always launch correctly?
Most often, the problem behind failed program launches are either corrupted installations, incompatible architecture, the lack of sufficient rights, or hard disk errors.
- What’s the simplest way to fix a failed program launch?
As far as time is concerned, the fastest method to solve such an issue is to restart your PC.
The worst-case scenario is you have to reset your PC. If you want to know how to perform this task, check out this detailed guide.
- How do I prevent error 0xc00007b from happening again?
Always have the latest version of Windows 10, .NET framework, and Visual C++. This can be done by updating your Windows 10 frequently.
These are the steps you need to take in order to solve your 0xc00007b error and get back to your normal everyday work.
Please write us below in the comments section of the page any other questions you might have regarding this article and we will help you as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.