- It the Windows 10 apps won't open, it's probably not updated or it suffers from file corruption.
- If the programs won't open in Windows 10, make sure that the Windows Update services are working.
- One way of fixing the applications if they are not opening in Windows 10 is to start the Apps troubleshooter as shown below.
- You can also solve this problem by using a third-party app as recommended in this guide.
Apps are an important part of Windows 10, and some users have reported that Windows 10 apps won’t open on their computer, so today we’ll show you how to fix this problem.
Windows 10 apps are a crucial part of Windows, but sometimes problems with Windows apps can occur in different circumstances. The program won’t open when i click on it is just one example. Let’s see others:
- Windows 10 apps won’t open Administrator
- According to users, this issue appears while trying to run applications while using an administrator account.
- This is rather unusual since applications should usually start without any problems if you’re running them as an administrator.
- Windows 10 apps won’t open from Taskbar
- In this scenario, your applications won’t start by using their Taskbar shortcut.
- This issue usually occurs if you’re using a dual monitor setup.
- Windows 10 apps won’t open after update
- Certain updates can cause problems with Windows and prevent your apps from running.
- Many users reported that this problem started appearing after installing a specific Windows update.
- Windows 10 apps won’t open after system restore
- System Restore is probably one of the simplest ways to fix various problems on your PC.
- However, there are reports that performing a System Restore can cause this and other problems to appear.
- Windows 10 apps won’t start, run, launch
- According to users, this problem can also prevent applications from starting.
- In some serious cases, your Windows 10 apps won’t load at all.
- Windows 10 apps won’t stay open
- One of the more annoying problems that you can experience is the constant crashing of your apps.
- Many users reported that Windows 10 apps crash on launch.
- This is a big problem that will make all of your apps almost unusable.
- Windows 10 apps won’t show
- Users also reported that they are unable to see their apps.
- It seems that the applications are working, but users report they are unable to use them.
- According to users, it feels like Windows 10 applications keep closing.
- Windows 10 apps won’t maximize
- This particular issue is similar to the previous one, and while applications are running, users can’t access them.
- This type of problem usually occurs when using a dual monitor setup.
- The applications will be in the Taskbar, but users won’t be able to maximize them at all.
- In fact, it seems that Windows 10 apps don’t work at all.
- Windows 10 apps stopped working
- This is probably one of the most serious problems that you can encounter.
- This issue can affect all your apps and prevent you from using them.
- Windows 10 apps won’t install, download, update
- According to users, in some cases your applications won’t work at all.
- This can be a serious problem since users are completely unable to update, install, or download new apps.
Whatever the reasons, if Windows 10 can’t open programs, follow our steps below to fix this problem right away.
What can I do if Windows 10 apps won’t open on my PC?
1. Make sure that Windows Update service is running
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
- When the Run dialog opens, enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- Locate Windows Update on the list of services. Make sure that Startup Type is set to Manual or Automatic.
- If it’s not, double click the Windows Update service to open its properties.
- When the Properties window opens, find the Startup Type section and select Manual or Automatic from the list.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Users have reported that Windows 10 apps won’t open if Windows Update service isn’t running, so let’s check the status of Windows Update service.
2. Change ownership of your C: drive
2.1 Change C: ownership
- Open This PC and locate the drive where Windows 10 is installed. By default, it should be in the C:/ partition.
- Right-click the drive and choose Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and click the Advanced button.
- Find the Owner section and click Change.
- Select User or Group window will appear. Click the Advanced button.
- Click the Find Now button (A list of users and user groups will appear).
- Select the Administrators group and click OK.
- In Select User or Group window click OK.
- In Advanced Security Settings window owners should be changed to Administrators and the Administrators group should be added to the Permission entries list.
- Check Replace owner on sub containers and objects.
- Click Apply and OK. Wait for the process to complete.
Sometimes Windows 10 apps won’t open due to ownership problems, but you can easily fix that. To change the ownership of a folder, or a hard drive partition, perform the steps from above.
2.2 Add Full Control permissions for ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group
- Open your disk partition Properties and go to the Security tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Permissions for the Local Disk window will open. Click the Add button.
- Select User or Group window will appear. Click the Advanced button, and then click Find Now.
- Locate ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES on the list, select it, and click OK.
- Click OK again.
- ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES will now be added to the list. Click it and select Full Control. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- If the issue still persists, open disk partition properties, go to the Security tab, and add Full control to the Users group.
3. Run the troubleshooter
If Windows 10 apps won’t open, you might want to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
In order to run this troubleshooter, you will need to type troubleshooter in Windows search and click on Troubleshoot settings from the results.
Next, click on Additional troubleshooters and scroll down to select the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
It will take a while if you have many apps installed but at the end, try to open the apps that are not opening and see if the issue has been fixed.
However, this procedure is now guaranteed to work and you will also lose some precious time in the process.
It’s a lot better to use a third-party software because the process is entirely automatic and safe. Moreover, the results are a lot more consistent.
The solution recommended below can be used for repairing your DLL files, BSoD errors and even for fixing issues that occur after any Windows updates.
So even if our example shows how to fix a DLL problem, you will be able to use it in the same way to fix any apps that are not starting in Windows 10.
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
4. Change FilterAdministratorToken in Registry Editor
- Press Windows Key + R in order to open the Run dialog.
- When the Run dialog opens, type Regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key in the left pane:
- On the right pane find the 32-bit DWORD called FilterAdministratorToken (If FilterAdministratorToken DWORD doesn’t exist, you can create it by right-clicking in the right pane and choosing New and selecting the DWORD (32-bit) Value.)
- Now change the name of the new value to FilterAdministratorToken.
- Double click FilterAdministratorToken DWORD. In the Value data field enter 1 and click OK to save the changes.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Users have reported that apps won’t open on Windows 10, and some users have even reported problems with Start Menu while using an administrator account.
Note: If the FilterAdministratorToken is available, go to the next step.
5. Make sure that your apps are up to date
5.1 Update the apps in Microsoft Store
- Open Microsoft Store app, you can do that by pressing Windows Key + S and type Store. From the list of results choose Store.
- When the Windows Store app opens, click on your Microsoft Account icon in the top right corner (next to the Search box) and choose Downloads and updates from the menu.
- Click Check for updates button and update all apps.
If the Store app isn’t working, you can try the same steps from a different user account on your computer, or you can use the Command Prompt to force updates.
5.2 Force app updates using Command Prompt
- Search cmd in Windows search and click on Run as administrator to open Command Prompt with full rights.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following line and press Enter:
The command will trigger performing automatic updates for Windows apps so give it a try right now.
6. Make sure that Windows 10 is up to date
- Open Settings App and go to Update & Security.
- Go to the Windows Update section and download the latest updates.
Sometimes, these types of problems can be fixed by performing a Windows Update, so make sure that you have the latest updates installed.
Note: If you encounter issues when trying to launch the settings app, check out this thorough guide on the topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure that the Windows Update services are running. If that’s not causing the problem, follow our step-by-step guide to fix the Windows 10 apps not opening issue.
This problem can be caused by file corruption. You can use the Windows 10 apps troubleshooter or you can use a third-party dedicated troubleshooter.
If Control Panel is not opening it’s probably because of file corruption issues. Luckily, we have an excellent guide that will help you fix Control Panel.