.NET Framework 3.5 is an important feature for running many Windows applications, but some users reported that this feature isn’t turned on in Windows 10, or that they have some problems installing it.
The .NET Framework is a crucial part of many applications running on Windows platforms. This feature provides the necessary functionality for these apps to run normally.
Logically, before installing these apps we need to enable .NET Framework on our computer.
Dot NET Framework 3.5 is an important component of Windows, and if the Dot NET Framework is missing you might experience certain issues. Speaking of .NET Framework, users reported the following problems:
- Microsoft Dot NET Framework 3.5 offline installer – In order to install Dot NET Framework 3.5, you need to have an active Internet connection, but you can also install this framework using the offline installer.
- NET Framework 3.5 error 0x800f0906, 0x800f0922, 0x800f081f – Sometimes you might not be able to install .NET Framework due to various errors. We already covered common .NET Framework 3.5 errors in one of our older articles, so be sure to check it out.
- Dot NET Framework 3.5 The following feature couldn’t be installed, The source files could not be found – Sometimes you won’t be able to install .NET Framework due to these messages. However, you might be able to solve that problem by using one of our solutions.
- .NET Framework 3.5 unable to install – In some cases, you might not be able to install NET Framework at all. This is is most likely caused by your settings or corrupted files, but you can easily fix that.
What can I do if .NET Framework 3.5 is missing on Windows 10?
1. Install .NET Framework 3.5 as a Windows feature
- Press Windows key and R at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl in the Run command box and press Enter or click OK.
- In the Programs and Features window, click on the link Turn Windows features on or off.
- Check if the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) option is available in it. If yes, then enable it and then click on OK.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, complete the installation and restart the computer, if the process requests that from you.
After doing that, the .NET Framework should start working again without any problems.
You can also get .NET Framework 3.5 from Microsoft.
2. Install .NET Framework 3.5 on-demand
Besides installing .NET Framework 3.5 through the Control Panel, you can also install it on-demand.
If a certain app requires the .NET Framework 3.5, but this feature isn’t enabled in your computer, the installation wizard will display the prompt for installing .NET Framework 3.5 on demand.
To install .NET Framework 3.5, in this prompt choose the option Install this feature, and .NET Framework 3.5 will be automatically installed on your computer.
3. Use DISM command to install .NET Framework 3.5
- Press Windows key and R at the same time. Type cmd in the Run dialog box and press Enter.
- And enter the following line in the Command Prompt: DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:X:sourcessxs
In order to run this command, you’ll need to replace X with the letter that represents the drive with installation media. After running this command, you should be able to install .NET Framework 3.5 on your PC without any problems.
Keep in mind that you might get a message saying that you need administrative privileges to run this command. If that happens, you need to start Command Prompt as administrator and run this command again.
To see how to do that, be sure to check Step 1 in Solution 5.
Some users have reported that they get a certain error message after they try to install .NET Framework 3.5 through the Control Panel or on-demand.
FAQ: Read more about .NET Framework
- How do I get .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 10?
- Can not install .NET Framework 3.5 Windows 10?
.NET Framework 3.5 can be installed just like any executable. You don’t even need Administrator rights in order to do so, as long as you have this dedicated tool.
- Do I have .NET Framework 3.5 installed?
If your .Net Framework is blocked on Windows 10, then it may also prevent your PC from detecting it as installed.