How to Make Yourself an Administrator in Windows 8, 8.1,10
Managing an account on Windows 10, 8 or on Windows 8.1, whether we are talking about an administrator account or just a regular user, can be easily handled. All you have to do for changing the rights for one particular account is to access the default Windows settings, this being exactly what we will be checking during the guidelines from below.
But why do you need to make yourself an administrator on Windows 10, 8? Well if you want to have access to various locations, files or programs you need to be an administrator. Moreover, only an administrator can install, remove, modify or run protected files and software, which means that Windows 10, 8 is preventing unauthorized users from messing with internal files and settings. In that matter, if you want to gain full control over your Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 device first you must make yourself an administrator.
How do I make myself administrator Windows 10, 8?
1. Change your account type from Settings
- First of all, you need to log into Windows with an Admin account.
- Now, open your Start Screen and from there within the Search box, type “user”.
- From the results select “settings” and pick “User Accounts”.
- From the User Accounts main window select the “Change your Account type” option.
- Then just check the “Administrator” box and you are done.
2. Use Command Prompt
Another method you can use is the following one:
- From your Home Screen launch the Run box – press Wind + R keyboard keys.
- Type “cmd” and press enter.
- On the CMD window type “net user administrator /active:yes”.
- That’s it. Of course you can revert the operation by typing “net user administrator /active:no”.
3. Use Control Panel
You can also change your account by using the Control Panel. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Start > type ‘control panel’ > double click on the first result to launch the Control Panel.
- Go to User Accounts > select Change account type.
- Select the user account to change > Go to Change the account type.
- Select Administrator > confirm your choice to complete the task.
So, there you have it, that’s how you can make yourself an administrator on Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. If you have questions or if you just want to share your experience with us and with our readers, don’t hesitate and use the comments field from below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- VPN blocked by administrator? Here’s how to fix it
- Full Fix: Disabled Administrator Account on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Please login with administrator privileges and try again
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Microsoft recently hosted an AMA session on Reddit and encouraged users to ask questions about the upcoming version of Microsoft Edge. The tech giant announced […]
Microsoft already announced its upcoming Chromium Edge browser for Windows 10 and macOS users. However, Linux users are also waiting in the queue. Redditors recently […]
Travian Legends is an online real-time strategy game that had been released in 2004 by software developer Travian Games. The game is played online, directly […]