A Problem Caused the Program to Stop Working Correctly [FIXED]
On Windows 10 you can sometimes get A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error in any of your programs, so today we’ll try to cover this issue and show you how to fix this error on Windows 10.
We have to point out that this error can happen in any application, and we have already mentioned some cases where A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error occurs, and today we have more fixes for this issue.
What programs are affected by this error?
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error message can crash your favorite applications and games. This is an annoying problem, and speaking of problems, users reported the following issues as well:
- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly GTA V, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, GTA San Andras, League of Legends, Far Cry, Battlefield 4 – This error message can appear while trying to run certain games. According to users, this issue appears in GTA V, Far Cry, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs and many other games.
- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly Internet Explorer, Outlook, OneDrive, Visual Studio, Excel, iTunes, Word, Adobe Reader, Remote desktop, Photoshop, Powerpoint, Autocad, Steam, Skype, Firefox, Google Chrome – Although this error usually affects games, it can also appear in various applications. According to users, this error can appear in Internet Explorer, Outlook, iTunes, Photoshop, Firefox, Chrome and many other applications.
- A problem caused the program to stop working please close the program – Sometimes you might encounter this error message that will force the application to crash. This can be a big problem since you’ll lose unsaved data, but you should be able to fix that using one of our solutions.
What to do if a problem caused the program to stop working correctly
Here’s the list of solutions that you can use
- Uninstall KB3132372 update
- Update your graphics card drivers
- Change Comodo firewall settings
- Remove Norton Antivirus software
- Make sure Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is running
- Create a new Neat database
- Rename the Skype folder
- Turn off EVGA Precision
- Update DirectX
- Disable Origin in-game for Battlefield 4
Solution 1 – Uninstall KB3132372 update
Users have reported this problem with Switched on Schoolhouse 2015, and according to users, the application crashes with a message that says: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
In order to fix this issue, you need to remove KB3132372 update by following these steps:
- Open Control Panel. To do that, just press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Select Control Panel from the list of results.
- When Control Panel opens, click on Programs and Features.
- Now click on View installed updates.
- Find the Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372). Some users report that this update is called Security Update for Windows, but to be sure, just look for update KB3132372.
- After you’ve found the update, uninstall it.
- Restart your computer.
After this update has been uninstalled, Switched on Schoolhouse 2015 should be working normally. We also have to point out that this solution might fix any other application that suffers from A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error, so make sure that you try it, even if you don’t use Switched on Schoolhouse 2015.
It’s worth mentioning that Windows might try to install the problematic update automatically, so be sure to block Windows 10 from installing specific updates.
Solution 2 – Update your graphics card drivers
Sometimes this error can be caused by an incompatible driver, so in order to avoid such issues, it’s advised that you update your graphics card drivers.
AMD owners have been complaining about this issue, and updating AMD drivers to the latest version fixed the issue for them.
If you own Nvidia graphic card, it’s also advised that you update your drivers to the latest version. We recommend you TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 3 – Change Comodo firewall settings / Uninstall Comodo firewall
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing error ‘A Problem Caused the Program to Stop Working Correctly’
- Step 3 : Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues.
Some users have reported Google Chrome crashes followed by A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error message, and in order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you change Comodo firewall settings. You can change the settings by following these steps:
- Open Comodo firewall.
- When Comodo firewall opens, click on Tasks in the top right corner.
- Navigate to Advanced tasks, and click on Open Advanced Settings.
- When Advanced Settings window opens, click on Security Settings.
- Next, go to Defense+ > HIPS > HIPS Settings.
- Find Detect shellcode injections and click on Exclusions.
- Click the little arrow at the bottom of the Manage Exclusions window and choose Add > Files.
- Now you need to locate chrome.exe. By default chrome.exe should be located in the following folder:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
- Find chrome.exe and double click it.
- Chrome should now be added to the exclusions list. Click OK.
- Click OK in Advanced Settings window to save the changes.
After doing that, Google Chrome should be working without any problems. If for some reason the problem persists, you might want to uninstall Comodo firewall. Even if you don’t use Chrome, this solution can be applied to any network application, so make sure that you try it.
Solution 4 – Remove Norton Antivirus software
According to the reports, it seems that Norton Antivirus can sometimes cause this issue, so it’s advised that you disable it, but if disabling Norton Antivirus doesn’t help, you might have to uninstall it.
You can remove Norton Antivirus just like any other software, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to run Norton Uninstall Tool as well. If you don’t use Norton Antivirus, try to disable or uninstall your current antivirus or firewall.
Solution 5 – Make sure Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is running
If you use Neat, you might be getting A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error, and in order to fix it, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and type services.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service and double click it.
- Locate Startup Type section and check if it’s set to Automatic. If it’s not, use the dropdown menu and set the Startup Type to Automatic.
- Next, click the Recovery tab. Find the First Failure section and choose Restart the Service from the menu.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
After doing that, find the Neat shortcut, right click it, and choose Run as administrator.
Solution 6 – Create a new Neat database
- First, go to the Documents folder, or to the folder where your Cabinet is saved. By default, it should be Documents.
- Find your Cabinet and move it to your Desktop.
- Now, start Neat Support Center.
- In Neat Support Center click the Advanced tab.
- Choose Create Database button.
- Start Neat again, and it should create a new database.
After making these changes, A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error message won’t appear anymore.
Solution 7 – Rename the Skype folder
A number of users have reported this problem with Skype, and in order to fix it, you need to do the following:
- Close Skype completely. You can even use Task Manager to make sure that Skype isn’t running.
- Press Windows Key + R and type %appdata%. Press Enter or click OK.
- File Explorer should open the App Data directory.
- Locate Skype folder and rename it to Skype_old.
- Press Windows Key + R once again. This time type %temp%\skype and press Enter or click OK.
- Locate the DbTemp folder and delete it.
- Restart Skype.
If you need your chat history, you can still access it from the Skype_old folder.
Solution 8 – Turn off EVGA Precision
We know that many gamers use EVGA Precision tool in order to get maximum performance from their graphic card, but sometimes EVGA Precision can cause A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error while running certain games.
To fix this, you just need to turn of EVGA Precision and your favorite games should run without any problems.
Solution 9 – Update DirectX
If any game is crashing for you, you might want to update DirectX to the latest version. Most games have DirectX setup tool in their installation directory, so make sure that you run DirectX setup from the game’s directory.
Solution 10 – Disable Origin in-game for Battlefield 4
It seems that some Battlefield 4 players have this error in Battlefield 4, and the solution is to disable Origin in-game.
To disable Origin in-game for Battlefield 4 follow these instructions:
- In Origin, right click Battlefield 4 and choose Properties.
- Now check Disable Origin in-game for this game.
This solution might also work for other Origin games, so make sure that you try it. We have also covered how to fix Battlefield 4 issues on Windows 10, so if you have any other issues with Battlefield 4, make sure that you check that article.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly error can prevent you from running your favorite applications, but you should be able to fix this error by using one of our solutions.
- How to fix GWXUX.exe has stopped working on Windows 10 PC
- “Application.exe has stopped working” error in Windows 10 [Fix]
- Fix: “Microsoft Word has stopped working” error
- Fix: “Diagnostics troubleshooting wizard has stopped working” on Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 App Store Has Stopped Working
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Have you ever tried using MS Works on Windows 10? It might be harder than you think. Even though Works has been discontinued by Microsoft, […]
Users reported on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 disabled Windows Defender real-time protection. This is often the case when you installed another antivirus solution on […]