- Norton Antivirus is a reliable software, but it might be the case that you need to uninstall it for various reasons.
- To do this, you can either use Norton's dedicated tool or a third-party program, and we're showing you exactly how.
- More similar articles can be found in our Removal Guides collection.
- And, if you're having trouble with your antivirus, don't hesitate to look at the Antivirus Errors page on our website for a solution.
Users who intend to add a new antivirus utility to Windows 10 should always uninstall the currently installed antivirus package first. Norton Antivirus is one utility that quite a few users find comes pre-installed with Windows 10.
Thus, that’s an antivirus package users often need to remove before they add an alternative utility to Windows 10. This is how users can uninstall Norton Antivirus on Windows 10.
How do I uninstall Norton Antivirus?
1. Remove Norton Antivirus with a third-party uninstaller
Programs and Features isn’t the best uninstaller to remove Norton Antivirus with as it doesn’t erase all software residual files and registry entries. Those leftovers can generate installation issues for replacement antivirus utilities.
Revo Uninstaller acts as both a replacement and a supplement to the built-in functionality in Windows. First, it runs the built-in uninstaller for the desired program, and then it scans for leftover data.
This is extremely useful for situations when a program won’t uninstall or when you have doubts that a program has not been uninstalled completely.
With Revo, you also make sure that the multiple files, folders, and/or Registry entries of the respective program are not left on your system, in which case they can cause various issues.
After installation, Revo is extremely intuitive to use: you can see all installed applications on your PC in one single pane. For there, you can easily search for the desired program using the search bar at the top and choose to remove it.
With the free version of the tool, you can scan for program leftovers and remove them, uninstall Windows apps or browser extensions. Furthermore, with the paid version you can also use the Forced Uninstall or Quick/Multiple Uninstall options.
Revo UninstallerDon't let the traces of uninstalled programs interfere with other apps. Uninstall them with Revo Uninstaller.
2. Uninstall Norton Antivirus via Programs and Features
- Right-click the Start button to open the Win + X menu. Then click Run to open that accessory.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in Run and click OK.
- Select the Norton Antivirus software and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- A Norton uninstaller window will then open that might ask if you want to retain some of the Norton antivirus features. Click No thanks to decline.
- Click the Next button on the uninstaller window to remove Norton Antivirus.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Norton Antivirus.
- Uninstalling Norton Antivirus via the Control Panel might leave some leftover files behind. As such, check for remaining Norton folders with File Explorer. These are some of the leftover folders users might find:
- Norton Antivirus
- Norton Personal Firewall
- Norton Internet Security
- Norton SystemWorks
- Delete any of the above folders in File Explorer by selecting them and pressing the Delete button.
- Get the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool on the official website.
- Next, right-click NrnR.exe and select Run as administrator to open Norton Antivirus.
- Click the Agree button.
- Then click Advanced Options to select the Remove Only option.
- Press the Remove button to confirm.
- The utility will then prompt users to restart. Click the Restart Now button to do so.
4. Uninstall Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode
- First, hold the Shift key and select the Restart option on Windows 10’s Start menu.
- Then users can select a Troubleshoot option after Windows reboots.
- Next, select Advanced options to open further options.
- Select Startup Settings, and then press the Restart button.
- After the restart, press the 4 key to select Enable Safe Mode.
- Then users can remove Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode via Programs and Features.
- Restart Windows 10 after removing Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode.
5. Run the Uninstall troubleshooter
- Click Download on the troubleshooter’s page to download it.
- Right-click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta and select Run as administrator to open the troubleshooter’s window shown below.
- Press the Next button.
- Select the Uninstalling option.
- Then select Norton Antivirus on the software list.
- Click Next to go through the troubleshooter’s suggested resolutions.
These are the simplest methods to uninstall Norton Antivirus. Other useful alternatives are via the Command Prompt with the wmic product where name = program name uninstall command (replacing program name with the full name of the Norton folder).
Users can also uninstall the antivirus utility with System Restore by selecting a restore point that predates the date the software was installed.
So there are a lot of options to choose from. In the comments section below you can tell us which one you found the easiest.
FAQ: Learn more about uninstalling a program in Windows 10
- How do you uninstall programs on Windows 10 that cannot be uninstalled?
You should be able to use the Windows built-in function to uninstall programs. But if it does not work, one of the solutions in this short article will surely be helpful.
- How do I manually uninstall a program?
Manual removal of certain programs can be tiresome, but doable nevertheless. See this extensive list of required steps that will guide your through the process.
- How do I uninstall an app on my PC?
Uninstalling an app in Windows 10 is very easy. From using a Windows command to third-party software, you can do it in no time.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and was updated and revamped in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.