- If you have wondered how to uninstall Norton on Windows 10, you may start by eliminating it from Programs and Features.
- To do this, you can use the antivirus dedicated removal tool created by the company itself.
- Running third-party uninstaller software is another way to get rid of any app you want.
- Microsoft's troubleshooter will help you remove Norton from Windows 10 when you can't do it simply from Control Panel.
Users who intend to add a new antivirus utility to Windows 10 should always uninstall the currently installed antivirus package first.
Norton Antivirus is one utility that quite a few users find comes pre-installed with Windows 10. Thus, users often need to remove it before they add an alternative utility.
Sometimes, you just can’t remove an app from Control Panel for good. This is how you can uninstall Norton Antivirus on Windows 10.
How can I uninstall Norton Antivirus?
1. Remove Norton Antivirus with a third-party uninstaller
If you uninstall Norton Antivirus from Programs and Features, the program will be removed but this won’t erase all software residual files and registry entries.
Those leftovers can generate installation issues for replacement antivirus utilities. There is a third-party uninstaller software that also erases leftover files and registry entries.
The tool acts as both a replacement and a supplement to the built-in functionality in Windows. First, it runs the built-in uninstaller for the desired program, and then it scans for leftover data.
This is extremely useful for situations when a program won’t uninstall or when you have doubts that a program has not been uninstalled completely.
Don’t let the traces of uninstalled Norton Antivirus interfere with other apps. Uninstall it with IObit.
2. Uninstall Norton Antivirus via Programs and Features
- Right-click the Start button to open the Win + X menu. Then click Run to open that accessory.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in Run and click OK.
- Select the Norton Antivirus software and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- A Norton uninstaller window will then open that might ask if you want to retain some of the Norton antivirus features. Click No thanks to decline.
- Click the Next button on the uninstaller window to remove Norton Antivirus.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Norton Antivirus.
Uninstalling Norton Antivirus via the Control Panel might leave some leftover files behind. As such, check for remaining Norton folders with File Explorer.
These are some of the leftover folders users might find: Norton Antivirus, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, and Norton SystemWorks.
You have to manually delete any of the above folders in File Explorer by selecting them and pressing the Delete button.
3. Use the Norton’s dedicated tool
- Get the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- Next, right-click NrnR.exe and select Run as administrator to open Norton Antivirus.
- Click the Agree button.
- Then click Advanced Options to select the Remove Only option.
- Press the Remove button to confirm.
- The utility will then prompt users to restart. Click the Restart Now button to do so.
This is a tool specially created by Norton to help you out when you want to remove the software. It uninstalls the Norton currently installed and restarts your computer.
4. Uninstall Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode
- First, hold the Shift key and select the Restart option on Windows 10’s Start menu.
- Then users can select a Troubleshoot option after Windows reboots.
- Next, select Advanced options to open further options.
- Select Startup Settings, and then press the Restart button.
- After the restart, press the 4 key to select Enable Safe Mode.
- Then users can remove Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode via Programs and Features.
- Restart Windows 10 after removing Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode.
Usually, the Safe Mode option exists to help you start your PC bypassing problems that prevent you from booting normally. It is also helpful in this case.
If Windows 10 Safe Mode option is not working on your PC, make sure to check our detailed guide for quick solutions on this matter.
5. Run the Uninstall troubleshooter
- Click Download on the troubleshooter’s page to download it.
- Right-click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta and select Run as administrator to open the troubleshooter’s window shown below.
- Press the Next button.
- Select the Uninstalling option.
- Then select Norton Antivirus on the software list.
- Click Next to go through the troubleshooter’s suggested resolutions.
The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter helps you automatically repair issues when you’re blocked from installing or removing programs. It also fixes corrupted registry keys.
You can also uninstall it with System Restore by selecting a restore point that predates the date the software was installed. But, you’ll also uninstall everything that was installed after that point.
Thus, instead of a System Restore, it is best to use the uninstaller we recommended above or any of these best tools to remove stubborn software.
These are the simplest methods to uninstall Norton Antivirus. In the comments section below you can tell us which one you found the easiest.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can try to uninstall it from Programs and Features. If it doesn’t work, use our guide on how to remove Norton Antivirus from Windows 10.
You can do this from Control Panel > Programs and Features, but apps might not completely remove from your PC. Thus, check our article on how to remove software leftovers.
Yes, it can. You can take a look at our guide on how to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10.