How to uninstall Norton Antivirus on Windows 10: A start-to-finish guide
Users who intend to add a new antivirus utility to Windows 10 should always uninstall currently installed antivirus package first. Norton Antivirus is one utility that quite a few users find comes pre-installed with Windows 10.
Thus, that’s an antivirus package users often need to remove before they add an alternative utility to Windows 10. This is how users can uninstall Norton Antivirus on Windows 10.
This is how users can uninstall Norton Antivirus
How can I uninstall Norton Antivirus? There are several methods that you can use: you can go to Programs and Features in Control Panel, use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, utilize a third-party uninstaller or you can remove the antivirus in Safe Mode.
1. Uninstall Norton Antivirus via Programs and Features
The Programs and Features Control Panel applet is Windows 10’s built-in uninstaller. Users can remove most software via Programs and Features. As such, that applet provides the most obvious way to uninstall Norton Antivirus. Users can uninstall Norton Antivirus with Windows 10’s Control Panel applet as follows.
- Right-click the Start button to open the Win + X menu. Then click Run to open that accessory.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run and click OK to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Select the Norton Antivirus software and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- A Norton uninstaller window will then open that might ask if you want to retain some of the Norton antivirus features. Click No thanks to decline.
- Click the Next button on the uninstaller window to remove Norton Antivirus.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Norton Antivirus.
- Uninstalling Norton Antivirus via the Control Panel might leave some leftover files behind. As such, check for remaining Norton folders with File Explorer. These are some of the leftover folders users might find:
- Norton Antivirus
- Norton Personal Firewall
- Norton Internet Security
- Norton SystemWorks
- Delete any of the above folders in File Explorer. Users can delete those folders by selecting them and pressing the Delete button.
2. Check Out the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool
Some users have stated that they can’t find Norton Antivirus in Programs and Features. Thus, an alternative uninstall method might sometimes be required to remove the antivirus utility.
Users can completely remove Norton software with the Norton Remove and Reinstall software as follows.
- First, open click Download Now on the Norton Remove and Reinstall Softpedia page.
- Next, right-click NrnR.exe and select Run as administrator to open Norton Antivirus.
- Click the Agree button.
- Then click Advanced Options to select the Remove Only option.
- Press the Remove button to confirm.
- The utility will then prompt users to restart. Click the Restart Now button to do so.
3. Remove Norton Antivirus With a Third-Party Uninstaller
Programs and Features isn’t the best uninstaller to remove Norton Antivirus with as it doesn’t erase all software residual files and registry entries. Those leftovers can generate installation issues for replacement antivirus utilities. As such, there are numerous third-party uninstaller software that also erase leftover files and registry entries. A lot of users utilize Revo Uninstaller, but Advanced Uninstaller PRO 12 also thoroughly removes software.
- To remove Norton Antivirus with Advanced Uninstaller PRO 1 2, click Try for free on the software’s webpage.
- Install Advanced Uninstaller PRO 12 with the software’s setup wizard.
- Launch Advanced Uninstaller PRO, and click General Tools > Uninstall Programs on the software’s windows.
- Select Norton Antivirus on the Uninstall Programs window, and click the Uninstall button.
- An Advanced Uninstaller PRO 12 dialog box window opens requesting confirmation to remove the selected application. Select the Use the leftover scanner option to remove the software and erase leftovers.
- Then click the Yes button to confirm.
- Thereafter, an Application uninstall window opens that displays software leftovers. Select to erase all the leftovers, and press the Next button.
- Press the Done button.
- Close Advanced Uninstaller PRO, and restart Windows.
— RELATED: How to uninstall Windows 10 Update Assistant
4. Uninstall Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode
Some Norton Antivirus users have stated they can’t uninstall that software with either Programs and Features or the Norton Removal and Reinstall utility. If users can’t uninstall Norton Antivirus the usual way, try removing the antivirus utility in Windows 10’s Safe Mode. This is how users can remove software in Safe Mode.
- First, hold the Shift key and select the Restart option on Windows 10’s Start menu.
- Then users can select a Troubleshoot option after Windows reboots.
- Next, select Advanced options to open further options.
- Select Startup Settings, and then press the Restart button.
- After the restart, press the 4 key to select Enable Safe Mode.
- Then users can remove Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode via Programs and Features.
- Restart Windows 10 after removing Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode.
5. Still Can’t Uninstall Norton Antivirus? Run the Uninstall troubleshooter
Users who can’t remove Norton Antivirus with any of the methods should check out the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. That troubleshooter fixes issues that stop programs uninstalling. This is how users can fix Norton Antivirus with that troubleshooter.
- Click Download on the troubleshooter’s page to download it.
- Right-click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta and select Run as administrator to open the troubleshooter’s window shown below.
- Press the Next button.
- Select the Uninstalling option.
- Then select Norton Antivirus on the software list.
- Click Next to go through the troubleshooter’s suggested resolutions.
So users can uninstall Norton Antivirus with Programs and Features, third-party software, and the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool. Alternatively, users can remove Norton Antivirus via the Command Prompt with the wmic product where “description=’program name’ ” uninstall command. Users can also uninstall the antivirus utility with System Restore by selecting a restore point that predates the date the software was installed.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to remove software leftovers
- How to Uninstall Programs and Apps in Windows 10
- 10 best uninstaller software for PC users
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]
Microsoft just released KB4493132 to Windows 7 computers thus adding end of support notifications.The notifications remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. The […]
The Redmond giant has recently announced the Variable Rate Shading feature for DirectX 12. This new feature helps developers to increase graphics quality, enhance performance and […]