Age of Empires II HD is set to receive new maps, four additional campaigns, new units, and technologies on December 19 with the upcoming Rise of the Rajas expansion. Developer Forgotten Empires will also give players the ability to create their own empire on both land and water.
The new expansion’s four new campaigns will let players guide the game’s heroes through a variety of conquests set in Southeast Asia with the help of battle elephants.
Rise of the Rajas new campaigns
The new civilizations coming to Age of Empires II HD include:
- Burmese – Ascend to power, quash a treacherous rebellion, and restore the Burmese monarchy to its former glory.
- Khmer – Construct the largest religious monument in the world and amass an immortal army of devastating siege weapons.
- Malay – Rebuild the largest thalassocracy to ever exist. Leave your mark on the region while hopping from island to island and rule the Southeast Asian archipelago.
- Vietnamese – Lead your people to independence and wage guerrilla warfare with an extremely powerful arsenal of ranged units.
Compared to previous releases, the new expansion packs upgrades game performance following months of testing. Rise of the Rajas also brings with it a new feature to allow players to restore their previous battle following an unexpected interruption.
These campaigns ship with heroes such as Gajah Mada, Suryavarman, Bayinnaung, and Le Loi. In addition to the Battle Elephant units, the game also gets Imperial Skirmisher units and new maps including rainforests and beaches. These terrains are available on all five new random maps, according to Microsoft.
Developers made the following improvements to the game:
- Improved AI
- Five New Random Maps
- New Special Maps
- Five New Real World Maps
- 13 New Terrains
- New Scenario Editor Objects
- Spectator Mode
Will you be playing Rise of the Rajas once it becomes available? Share your thoughts below.