- Making payments through PayPal is pretty simple and 179+ million people are using this service.
- If your antivirus is preventing you from accessing your Paypal account or making payments, keep on reading.
- Visit our PayPal section to read more related articles.
- Bookmark our Personal Finance page to learn more.
While making payments through PayPal may seem like a breeze each time you log in to your account, each day may not always be the same.
There comes a time when you may experience your antivirus blocking PayPaland you cannot access or even log in to do any transactions.
Most PayPal users may not know what to do in the event the antivirus program gets in the way of their normal payment activities via the online platform, but we have some solutions that can help you fix the problem.
Here are 7 ways you can fix antivirus blocking PayPal in Windows 10.
How can I fix antivirus blocking PayPal in Windows 10
1. Uninstall and reinstall the antivirus program
Sometimes it helps to uninstall your antivirus and reinstall the correct version for Windows 10 operating system. Try this and see if it fixes the antivirus blocking PayPal problem, or try the next solution.
If that definitive solution doesn’t work, you might need to consider using something else rather than PayPal. One perfect candidate that can do everything that PayPal can, only much better, faster, and simpler, is Revolut.
Simply register for an account, and you will be able to make payments and transfers from both PC and smartphones.
The app allows you to send money to your phone contacts within seconds, and if you have an NFC-enabled device, you can even make contactless payments.
Establish your budgets, get the best conversion rates in real-time and trade crypto easily with the help of this extremely handy virtual payment system.
Use this online payment service that doesn't get affected by your antivirus, completely free.
2. Use BullGuard Antivirus
This antivirus has been ranked highly in independent tests and incorporates innovative multi-layered defenses that block all forms of malicious threats, ensuring your organization operates at optimal performance.
Its multi-layered protection combines traditional signature-based protection with behavioral-based protection to guard against known and new malware outbreaks, with industry-leading detection rates.
Features include a vulnerability scanner to detect outdated software that is easily exploited by hackers, free and powerful backup to keep your files safe in case of a system crash or computer loss, behavioral-based detection, anti spam filters, a feature that stops unwanted apps from hijacking your browser, and automatic PC tune-up.
BullGuard Antivirus is lightweight, looks great and it’s really speedy. It offers a valuable extra feature with its accurate spam filter. To learn more about all the features BullGuard offers its customers, be sure to check out our in-depth review.
BullGuardGet BullGuard now to protect your data and avoid online payment errors through PayPal.
3. Update your antivirus
There are users who have complained that their antivirus blocks PayPal website from opening, but what they may not have checked is the version of their antivirus they’re currently using.
Outdated versions usually cause antivirus programs to block other programs from working. Update your antivirus to the latest version then check if the problem persists.
4. Add PayPal to trusted websites
- Click Start
- Open Internet Explorer and navigate to PayPal
- Click Tools – Internet Options – Security tab
- Select Trusted sites – Sites
- Type PayPal web address in the open box for Add this website to the zone
- Click Add
- Close the internet option window
Check if this helps, if not, go to the next solution.
5. Boot in Safe Mode then try to perform access PayPal
- Click on Start button and select Settings
- Click Update & Security – Recovery
- Go to Advanced startup and clickRestart now
- Select Troubleshoot from the Choose an Option screen, then click Advanced options
- Go to Startup Settings and click Restart
- Once your computer restarts, a list of options will come up.
- Choose 4 or F4 to start your computer in Safe Mode
Safe mode starts up your computer with limited files and drivers but Windows will still run. To know whether you’re in Safe mode, you’ll see the words Safe Mode at the corners of your screen
If the antivirus blocking PayPal issue isn’t there while in Safe mode, then your default settings and basic drivers are not contributing to the issue.
Does the antivirus blocking PayPal problem persist while in Safe Mode? If it does, try the next solution.
6. Place your system in a Clean Boot mode
- Make sure you are logged on as administrator
- Go to the search box
- Type msconfig
- Select System Configuration
- Find Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click Disable all
- Go to Startup tab
- Click Open Task Manager
- Close Task manager then click Ok
- Reboot your computer
If you manage to boot in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot to eliminate any software conflicts that may be causing the antivirus blocking PayPal problem in Windows 10.
These conflicts can be caused by applications and services that start up and run in the background whenever you start Windows 10 normally.
You will have a clean boot environment after all these steps are carefully followed, after which you can try and check if you can access PayPal.
7. Run Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool (MRT)
- Click Start
- Type MRT in the search box field
- Right click on MRT and select Run as administrator
- Give administrator permissions or click Yes to allow
Does this help fix the antivirus blocking PayPal problem? If not, perform an SFC scan as described in the next solution.
8. Perform a system file checker scan
- Click Start
- Go to the search field box and type CMD
- Go to Command Prompt
- Right click and select Run as Administrator
- Type sfc/scannow
- Press Enter
- Restart your computer
A System File Checker scan checks or scans all protected system files, and then replaces the incorrect versions, with the genuine, correct Microsoft versions.
9. Run Microsoft Safety Scanner
- Download the tool
- Open it
- Select the type of scan you want to run
- Start the scan
- Review scan results on the screen, which lists all malware identified on your computer
When a virus infects your computer, it makes the machine’s performance slow down greatly. Running a virus scan means any infected files may be cleaned by deleting the file completely, meaning you may experience data loss.
Microsoft Safety Scanner is a tool designed to locate and remove malware from Windows PCs. It only scans when manually triggered, then you get to use it 10 days after you download it.
This means you need to download the latest version of the tool before you perform each scan on your computer.
However, the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool doesn’t replace your antimalware program. It helps remove malicious software from your Windows 10 computer.
Has any of the above solutions helped fix the antivirus blocking PayPal problem? Let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about antivirus
- How do I know if my antivirus is blocking?
You can check this by accessing the Windows Defender Firewall and looking at the status as indicated in our guide.
- What is the best antivirus?
Our recommendation goes to Bullguard, due to its features and easy to use interface.
- Do I really need to use an antivirus?
While you shop online and use PayPal, it’s important that your computer isn’t vulnerable to fraudsters.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in December 2017 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.