- Apex Legends is an awesome battle royale team deathmatch online game. It's free to play and has gathered quite the fanbase with players enjoying it from all over the world.
- However, like many other online games, it can be subject to issues such as high ping, timeouts, or the dreaded packet loss that seems to have no immediate fix.
- Check out our best VPNs for Apex Legends to improve ping and gameplay.
- Visit our Gaming Hub to discover more awesome guides, tips, and tricks.
Apex Legends is an awesome battle royale team deathmatch online game. Aside from its innate awesomeness, the fact that you can play it for free makes it even more appealing.
The principle is quite simple. You form a three-player team and get parachuted from a ship. You reach the ground then start looking for weapons, ammo, and armor. If you’re lucky enough and manage to stock up, the battle begins.
You and your squad should be the last team standing at the end of the match. Most games don’t last for long since the playable (non-damaging) area restricts every once in a while, making encounters more inevitable.
Apex Legends is popular enough to have servers all around the world. Countries such as the UK, US, Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium have their own servers. Therefore, you can connect to a wide range of servers in case the assigned one doesn’t fit too well.
On the other hand, despite this rich selection of servers, you might experience certain issues with Apex Legends from time to time, especially considering that you can enjoy this game exclusively online. One of the most common issues is packet loss.
What is packet loss in Apex Legends?
When you play Apex Legends, leaking packets means that data bits you send to the server, or the server sends to you, never reach their destination. Packet loss can be annoying, especially considering that there’s no magic fix.
Although it seems that packet loss is a big deal, the truth is that the issues it triggers are far more awful, especially in online games such as Apex Legends. For instance, you might experience rubberbanding, extreme lagging, or even connection timeouts.
How to reduce packet loss Apex Legends
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access to your PC
- Install it
- Launch PIA and connect to a server
- Run Apex Legends and check if the program still persists
Private Internet Access is an excellent VPN service from Kape Technologies. It can help you improve ping, reduce latency, and even eliminate packet loss in some cases.
Private Internet Access
Losing packets on Apex Legends? PIA can help you out.
PIA also has 24/7 live chat support, so you can contact them in case you encounter difficulties. However, it’s worth mentioning that using a VPN won’t magically fix packet loss in the following cases:
- You’re losing packets on your home network hops
- The Apex Legends server loses packets
Therefore, using a VPN can help you fix packet loss only if there’s something wrong with your ISP. If you want to know how to determine which part of the player-server connection leaks packets, check out our awesome packet loss guide.
2. Perform manual troubleshooting of your connection
- Use our guide to perform a full packet loss test
- Determine which hop has the largest ping value
- Troubleshoot your connection according to the packet-leaking hop
Depending on the hops you notice the issues on, you’ll need to consider a different approach. As we’ve explained in our guide, leaking packets can occur in 4 different places:
- You and your home network
- Your ISP and its network
- The network distributor (the ones above your ISP)
- The Apex Legends server you play on
Therefore, depending on the location of the leak, you should be able to fix packet loss by:
- Checking if your PC, cables, and router function correctly
- Contacting your ISP if there seems to be an issue with their network
- Asking your ISP to contact the network distribution company
- Contacting the Apex Legends support crew if you notice any server-side packet loss
You can fix packet loss in Apex Legends
To wrap it up, even though there’s no magic fix for packet loss in Apex Legends, you can still solve this issue fairly easily. More often than not, this problem solves by itself, but if quite a while has passed and you see no improvements, you might consider fixing it yourself.
Remember that even though a VPN can fix high ping and improve gameplay, sometimes it might not be able to fix packet loss. In order for a VPN to fix packet loss, the leak should be on your ISP’s side, and not on any of the ends of the connection (i.e. you or the Apex Legends server).
FAQ: Learn more about Apex Legends packet loss
- How do I fix packet loss in Apex Legends?
You can either use a VPN such as Private Internet Access or troubleshoot the issue by yourself and try one of the fixes in our article.
- Can VPN fix packet loss?
Yes, you can fix packet loss with a VPN. However, it only works if your ISP leaks packets, and not you or the Apex Legends server.
- What is the best VPN for Apex Legends?
If you want to improve your ping and gameplay, check out our best VPNs for Apex Legends.