Many users use optical media or USB flash drives to share files, but some users complained about the Application not found error on Windows 10. It seems that this error appears whenever a user inserts CD, DVD or any other removable storage. This can be an annoying problem, so today we’re going to show you how to fix it.
How to fix “Application not found” in Windows 10?
Table of contents:
- Use the Populate option
- Change Autoplay settings
- Edit your registry
- Change the default zip program
- Turn off Windows Media Player feature
- Install VLC player
- Use the Open command to access your files
- Delete autorun.inf file
- Change the drive letter
- Set your current browser as the default browser
- Reinstall your browser
- Use Reset Settings to Default for AutoCAD
- Try your USB flash drive on a different computer
- Use CCleaner
- Replace your DVD drive
- Update USB drivers
Fix – “Application not found” Windows 10
Solution 1 – Use the Populate option
Users reported that Application not found error appears every time a user inserts a DVD in the DVD drive. User is unable to access the DVD and view its contents, which can be a big problem. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to check your DVD drive properties and use the Populate option. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open This PC.
- Locate your DVD drive, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to Hardware tab and select your DVD drive. Now click the Properties button.
- Go to the Volumes tab and click the Populate button.
- After doing that, restart your PC and check if that fixes the problem.
Solution 2 – Change Autoplay settings
Many users use Autoplay option to automatically open any removable storage or a DVD. This feature is useful because it allows you to quickly play multimedia, scan the drive for viruses or just open it to view files. If you want, you can even set these actions to occur automatically every time you insert a DVD or a USB flash drive. Autoplay feature is quite useful, but according to users, it can sometimes cause Application not found error to appear. To fix the problem users are suggesting to completely disable Autoplay feature. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Open This PC.
- Locate the problematic drive and right-click it. Choose Open Autoplay option.
- Select Take No Action from the menu.
After turning off Autoplay for this drive, the problem will be fixed. We have to mention that this isn’t the best solution, especially if you tend to use Autoplay feature, but it’s a working workaround, so be sure to try it out.
Few users reported that changing the Autoplay settings to Ask me every time also fixes this problem. According to users, they changed the Autoplay settings so that removable media is opened with a specific application automatically. This caused the error to appear, but you should be able to solve the problem by changing Autoplay settings. To do that, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to Devices section and then navigate to AutoPlay tab.
- In Choose AutoPlay defaults section set Removable drive and Memory card to Ask me every time.
You can also change AutoPlay settings by using Control Panel. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel. You can do that quickly by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Control Panel from the menu.
- When Control Panel opens, select AutoPlay.
- When AutoPlay window opens, set Ask me every time for both Removable drive and Memory card.
- Optional: If you have this problem with CDs and DVDs, you can also change their autoplay settings from this window.
- After you’re done, click the Save button to save changes.
Both methods are similar, but if you need to change Autoplay settings for a DVD drive or you want to set special settings for different types of files, we suggest that you configure Autoplay settings from Control Panel.
Solution 3 – Edit your registry
If you’re getting Application not found error when you insert a DVD, you might be able to fix it by making few changes in your registry. Modifying the registry can be potentially dangerous, so before you start editing it, we suggest that you export your registry and use it as a backup in case anything goes wrong.
To edit your registry, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Click OK or press Enter.
- When Registry Editor opens, in the left pane navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2 key.
- Optional: Right-click MountPoints2 key and choose Export from the menu. Save the file on a safe location on your PC. This file is the backup of this registry key and you can use it to restore your registry to previous state.
- Right-click the MountPoints2 key and choose Delete from the menu.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your PC.
- After your PC restarts, check if the DVD drive is working properly.
Solution 4 – Change the default zip program
According to users, the Application not found error can appear while trying to open zip files. Users reported that this error occurs because zip files aren’t configured to work with the default zip software. This can happen if you install a new zip archiver software and Windows 10 doesn’t change the file associations automatically. To fix this problem, you need to change the default application for .zip files. This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When the Settings app opens, go to System > Default apps.
- Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.
- A list of file types and default apps will appear. Locate .zip and choose the desired default application for it.
- Close the Settings app and check if the issue is fixed.
If you don’t want to use the Settings app, you can also use Default Programs from Control Panel. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Control Panel from the list.
- When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.
- Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program option.
- When the list of file extensions opens, locate .zip extension and double click it.
- Select the desired default application for .zip files.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Dropbox Zip file is too large
We have to mention that this problem can affect other types of files and not just .zip. If you’re having this issue while opening any other file type, be sure to change the default application for that file type.
Solution 5 – Turn off Windows Media Player feature
Application not found error can sometimes appear due to problems with Windows Media Player. However, users reported that you can fix this problem simply by disabling Windows Media Player and turning it back on again. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter windows features. Select Turn Windows features on or off from the menu.
- Once the Windows Features window opens, expand the Media Features folder. Locate the Windows Media Player and uncheck it.
- A confirmation menu will appear. Click Yes.
- Now click OK to save changes.
- Restart your computer.
- When your PC restarts, repeat the same steps and turn Windows Media Player back on again.
Solution 6 – Install VLC player
According to users, Applications not found error appears when they insert a DVD movie. Users reported that the playback doesn’t start, and instead they are getting the error message. This problem appears because there’s no default application for DVD discs available. To fix the issue, users are suggesting to install VLC Player. After doing that, you should be able to play any DVD movie without any problems. If you’re not a fan of the VLC Player, you can install any other multimedia player that supports DVD playback.
Solution 7 – Use Open command to access your files
This is just a quick workaround, but it should help you if you need to quickly access your optical drive or removable storage. Application not found error appears if you have problems with your autorun settings. In addition, this error will appear if you try to access the removable storage by double clicking it.
- READ ALSO: Fix: VLC media player lagging on Windows 10
This can be a big problem, especially if you’re in a hurry and you need to access your files. There’s a quick workaround available, and even though this method won’t fix the problem, it will allow you to view and access your files. To access your files, do the following:
- Open This PC.
- When This PC window opens, locate the drive that you can’t access and right-click it.
- Choose Open from the menu.
After doing that, you should be able to access your files without any problems. Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, but you should be able to avoid the error message by using this solution.
Solution 8 – Delete autorun.inf file
If you’re getting Application not found error on your PC when you insert removable storage, you can fix it by deleting the autorun.inf file. To do that, follow these steps:
- Insert the removable storage.
- Open the removable storage by following the steps from the previous solution. If the Open option doesn’t work, choose to Explore option instead.
- Once you access your removable storage, click the View menu and turn on Hidden items option.
- Locate the autorun.inf file and delete it.
- Disconnect the removable storage and connect it again.
Few users reported that autorun.inf isn’t available on their removable storage, and if that’s the case, you’ll need to use Command Prompt to fix this problem. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following lines. Keep in mind that you need to replace X with the letter that represents your drive:
- attrib -s -r -h X:\autorun.inf
- del X:\autorun.inf
- After running those commands, close Command Prompt and check if your removable storage works.
Solution 9 – Change the drive letter
Few users reported that you can fix Application not found error simply by changing the drive letter. This is a rather simple procedure and you can perform it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Disk Management from the menu.
- Locate your DVD drive or removable storage and right click it. Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click the Change button.
- Select the desired letter for the drive and click OK.
After changing the drive letter, your drive should start working again without any problems.
Solution 10 – Set your current browser as the default browser
Users reported that this issue also appears while trying to open links in desktop applications, but you can fix this problem by setting your current browser as the default browser. This process is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Go to System section and then navigate to Default apps tab.
- Scroll down to the Web browser section and make sure that your current browser is set as default.
- Optional: You also need to check if your browser is set to work with certain protocols. To do that click the Choose default apps by protocol.
Locate FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS protocols and make sure that they are set to work with your default browser.
- Optional: If you want, you can also check if your default browser is set to work with necessary file extensions. To see how to assign applications to work with specific file types, be sure to check Solution 4.
You can also change the default browser right from Control Panel. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and select Default Programs.
- Select Set your default programs option.
- A list of all installed applications will appear. Select your current web browser and choose Set this program as default option.
- Optional: Click on Choose defaults for this program and check if necessary file types and protocols are assigned to it.
If not, you can assign them by following similar steps like in Solution 4.
Solution 11 – Reinstall your browser
According to users, Application not found error appears when they try to run a certain video game that uses your browser as a launcher. Instead of starting the game, you’ll get the aforementioned error message. This can be a big problem, but users reported that they fixed the error simply by reinstalling the browser. After performing the browser reinstall, the issue was completely resolved.
Solution 12 – Use Reset Settings to Default for AutoCAD
Users reported that this issue occurs when trying to open AutoCAD files. According to them, AutoCAD doesn’t start and instead they are getting Application not found error message. To fix this problem you need to re-register AutoCAD with the appropriate actions. This process is fully automatic, and you just need to run Reset Settings to Default AutoCAD application. This application should be located somewhere in your AutoCAD directory, so be sure to search for it. After running the application, AutoCAD will start working again. If the problem still persists, you might have to reinstall AutoCAD in order to fix it.
Solution 13 – Try your USB flash drive on a different computer
As you know, Application not found error occurs when connecting removable storage to your PC. According to few users, you can fix this problem simply by connecting your removable storage to a different computer. If you have an extra PC or laptop, try connecting your USB flash drive to it. If the error doesn’t appear on a different computer, unplug the flash drive and try using it on your PC. Few users claim that this workaround fixed the error for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 14 – Use CCleaner
According to users, this error occurs when trying to open files on a DVD drive. Users claim that they are unable to access the DVD drive. Some users reported that they fixed the problem simply by running CCleaner on their PC. After scanning their PC and registry, CCleaner fixed all the issues along with the Application not found error.
Solution 15 – Replace your DVD drive
If you still have this problem while inserting a DVD disc, you might want to consider replacing your DVD drive. Few users claim that replacing the DVD drive fixed the problem for them, so you might want to do that if all other solutions don’t work.
Solution 16 – Update USB drivers
If none of the solutions presented above managed to resolve the issue, we’ll try with updating the USB drivers. Here’s how to update the USB driver in Windows 10:
- Go to Search, type devicemngr, and open the Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, and find your device.
- Right-click your router and go to Update driver.
- Follow further on-screen instructions and finish installing drivers.
- Restart your computer.
Update drivers automatically
If you don’t want the hassle of searching for drivers on your own, you can use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Of course, as you’re not able to connect to the internet at the moment, this tool won’t be useful. However, once you get online, it will help you to keep all your drivers up to date, so you won’t be in this situation anymore.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver’s name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Application not found error will prevent you from accessing removable storage and optical drives, but we hope that you solved this issue by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Unable to Shutdown Due to a DDE Server Window: Explorer.exe Application Error
- Fix: OHUb.exe Application Error in Windows 10
- Explorer.exe crash loop fixed in latest Windows 10 build
- How to fix Steam “Incomplete installation” errors
- Fix: “Another instance is running” error on Windows 10