Fix: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error on Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors such as ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY can cause you a lot of problems on Windows 10 since they will frequently restart your PC in order to prevent damage. These errors can cause system instability and data loss, therefore today we’re going to show you how to fix this error.
How to fix ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSoD
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update your drivers and Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by outdated or incompatible drivers, therefore it’s important that you update them as often as you can. Windows 10 relies heavily on drivers in order to recognize and use certain hardware, and if your drivers are corrupted, or simply not compatible with Windows 10, that will cause a ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY or any other BSoD error to appear. In order to fix this error it’s highly recommended that you update your drivers. Updating drivers in Windows 10 is fairly simple, and you can do that right from the Device Manager by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager.
- Once Device Manager opens, locate the device you want to update, right click it and select Update Driver Software from the menu.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows 10 to install the appropriate driver for your device.
- Repeat the steps for all devices that you want to update.
Using Device Manager to update your drivers is pretty straightforward, but some users claim that Device Manager doesn’t always download the latest drivers for your device. To download the latest drivers, it’s always better to visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download the necessary drivers manually. Bear in mind that you’ll have to update as many drivers as you can in order to fix this issue.
Updating all drivers manually can be long and tedious process, but you can update outdated drivers easily by using this Driver Update software that automatically searches and installs the necessary drivers.
Solution 2 – Remove problematic applications
Errors such as ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY can be caused by certain applications, therefore it’s necessary that you find and remove them. Users reported that Gigabyte On/Off software is the common cause for this error, so if you have this software installed, be sure that you remove it.
Another common cause for BSoD errors can be your antivirus software. Users reported that tools such as NoVirusThanks can cause these types of errors, and according to them, the issue was fixed after removing this tool. We have to mention that almost any antivirus program can cause this error, and if you want to fix this problem, you’ll have to remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. To completely remove an antivirus program, we strongly suggest that you use dedicated removal tool. Many antivirus companies have dedicated removal tools available for its software, so be sure to download one for your antivirus program. If uninstalling the antivirus fixes the issue, you might want to download the latest version of the same antivirus program that you were using before, or you can switch to any another antivirus software.
Solution 3 – Reset BIOS to default
Few users reported that they managed to fix this error by resetting BIOS to default, and you can do that easily. To see how to access and reset BIOS, be sure to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions. Before you reset BIOS, we advise you to check your SATA Controller and see what mode you are currently using. Controller mode will be set to IDE, AHCI, or RAID, so be sure to set the SATA controller mode to the same value after you reset BIOS.
- READ ALSO: How to fix Windows 10 sysprep errors
Solution 4 – Use System Restore or Windows 10 reset
If ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error is caused by a software problem, you should be able to fix it by performing System Restore. To perform System Restore you need to do the following:
- Hold Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button. Alternatively, you can restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair.
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
- Select your username and enter your password if you have one.
- Select Choose a different restore point and click Next.
- Choose the restore point you wish to return to and click Next. Wait for the process to finish.
If System Restore didn’t fix the issue, you’ll have to perform Windows 10 reset. To complete Windows 10 reset you might need Windows 10 installation media, and you can easily create one by using Media Creation Tool and empty USB flash drive. We have to warn you that reset process is similar to clean install, so make sure that you back up important files from your C partition before you start this procedure. To perform Windows 10 reset, follow these steps:
- Start Automatic Repair process and choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. Be prepared to insert Windows 10 installation media if you’re asked to.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the reset process.
If the BSoD error appears even after Windows 10 reset, the error is most likely caused by a faulty hardware.
Solution 5 – Check your hardware
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error can be caused by your hardware, so we urge you to check if your RAM is working properly. Easiest way to do that is to test your RAM modules one by one, but you can also use tools such as MemTest86+ to perform a detailed scan of your RAM. If your RAM is not the problem, you should check all other major hardware components.
We also recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Blue Screen of Death errors such as ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY can be sometimes hard to fix, but we hope that you managed to fix this error by using one of our solutions.
- Fix: Critical Service Failed BSoD Error in Windows 10
- Fix: NO_MORE_SYSTEM_PTES error on Windows 10
- Fix: Windows Cryptographic Service Provider Error In Windows 10
- Fix: CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM error on Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 Installation Errors 0xC1900101, 0x20017
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]