- The AutoIt error can cause some trouble, but there are several ways to fix this issue.
- Some third-party anti-malware software might help you fix this issue on your PC.
- Many users have fixed this and similar errors by removing a couple of values in the registry.
Some users have reported an AutoIt error on Microsoft’s support forum. When that issue arises, users see an AutoIt Error message pop up every time Windows starts up.
The specified file path within that error message can vary, but despite the file path, there are a couple of solutions that you can use to fix this problem.
What is AutoIt3 EXE?
AutoIt v3 is a scripting language developed for automating and mimicking keystrokes, mouse movement, and window/control manipulation.
Is AutoIt needed?
This is not a necessary operation for Windows and may be stopped if it is known to cause difficulties.
File corruption is a common cause of problems with Windows, including this one. This can happen anytime for unknown reasons, but the issues are minor and can be easily fixed by running scans with DISM and SFC.
If your computer has one or more autorun keys left behind by an application that is no longer available, you are likely to run into one of the most typical instances in which you would get this sort of error.
Another factor you should consider is the possibility that your Windows files have been compromised by a virus or other form of malicious software.
There are other causes, but these are the most common ones. Here are also the most common errors reported by our users regarding AutoIt:
- AutoIt Error Line 0 file C:/Users – Conceivably, the cause is a conflict between a program or service and one or more of Windows’s processes to boot up.
- AutoIt Error Line 0 – You may test whether or not this is the case by forcing Windows to boot with only the essential drivers and applications for the starting process.
- Allocating memory AutoIt error – Using File Explorer, delete all entries that include AutoIt.
- AutoIt Error opening the file – This can occur due to the residual autoruns.
- AutoIt Error ServiceGet – Delete any string values associated with AutoIt from the Registry Editor.
- Logonui.exe AutoIt error – Try using Startup Repair.
- AutoIt error line 865 – Delete any AutoIt scripts running when Windows starts.
- AutoIt error in Windows 7/10/11 – This issue is not specific to one OS iteration, but rather to all of them, or the latest ones. However, the solutions below are applicable to each iteration.
Without any further ado, let’s jump into the list of solutions to AutoIt errors in both Windows 10 and 11. Follow along!
How do I fix AutoIt error line 0 in Windows 10?
- What is AutoIt3 EXE?
- Is AutoIt needed?
- How do I fix AutoIt error line 0 in Windows 10?
- 1. Run a malware scan
- 2. Edit the registry
- Open the Run tool
- Enter this command in the Open box: regedit > Click Ok to open Registry Editor.
- Click File on the Registry Editor window and select Export option.
- Enter a file name for the registry backup and save it.
- Open this registry key path using a special coomand.
- Search for REG_SZ strings in the Run registry key.
- Then open this key in the Registry Editor:
- Repeat the 6th step
- Close Registry Editor
- 3. Uninstall AutoIt
- 4. Remove AutoIt scripts from startup
- 5. Reset your Windows 10
- Is AutoIt V3 script a virus?
- Is AutoIt malicious?
1. Run a malware scan
For those wondering how do I get rid of AutoIt virus, the error is often caused by malware known as Veronica, so you should start with a malware scan.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
We suggest you use Eset Internet Security because it has a very high detection rate and multiple security features to ensure you are protected on all fronts.
Eset is an award-winning antivirus with a powerful anti-malware engine. It protects your PC in real-time, at all times, without impacting its functionality.
Other notable features of Eset Internet Security include:
- Banking and payment protection
- Parental controls
- Webcam protection
- Anti-phishing technology
- Multilayered protection
- Malware and ransomware protection
Eset lets you run a one-time full scan of your PC that will detect and remove any threats. It is online and completely free. It will help remove any threats and allow you to try the software.
Eset Internet SecurityRemove malware and secure your whole digital experience with award-winning antivirus technology.
2. Edit the registry
The detailed solution below describes how to edit your Registry in order to resolve the AutoIt error on Windows PCs.
1. Open the Run tool
First, open the Run tool by right-clicking the Start button and selecting that option from the menu.
2. Enter this command in the Open box: regedit > Click Ok to open Registry Editor.
Enter the following command in the Open box: regedit. Then click OK to open the Registry Editor.
3. Click File on the Registry Editor window and select Export option.
Click File on the Registry Editor window. Select the Export option.
4. Enter a file name for the registry backup and save it.
Enter a file name for the registry backup. Choose a location for the registry backup file. Press the Save button.
5. Open this registry key path using a special coomand.
Open registry key path with:
6. Search for REG_SZ strings in the Run registry key.
Look for these REG_SZ strings in the Run registry key: AdobeFlash, Windows Update, Adobe Update, and Google Chrome. Right-click all those REG_SZ strings and select Delete to erase them.
7. Then open this key in the Registry Editor:
8. Repeat the 6th step
Repeat the 6th step for the LOCAL_MACHINE Run key you’ve just opened.
9. Close Registry Editor
Close the Registry Editor, and restart your PC to see if the issue persists.
After making these changes, the AutoIt error in Windows 11 should be gone.
Note: The REG_SZ strings specified above will include autoit3.exe, windowsupdate.lnk, googleupdate.a3x, or googleupdate.lnk within their data paths. Entering those data path keywords within Registry Editor’s Find tool should also locate the REG_SZ strings you need to erase.
3. Uninstall AutoIt
- Open the Run window. Type this Programs and Features command into Run: appwiz.cpl
- Next, select the AutoIt program listed.
- Click the Uninstall option for AutoIt.
- Restart your desktop or laptop after uninstalling AutoIt.
You can uninstall AutoIt and more thoroughly erase its leftover files and registry entries with third-party uninstaller software.
4. Remove AutoIt scripts from startup
- Download Autoruns by pressing the Download Autoruns and Autorunsc option from Microsoft’s page.
- Extract it, locate its executable file and run it as administrator.
- Now input autoit3 in the Filter box.
- Locate AutoIt, right-click it, and choose Delete.
You can remove AutoIt scripts from the Windows startup with Autoruns. That’s one of the most detailed startup monitor tools for Windows. Using this tool, you should be able to fix the AutoIt error line 0 error opening the file message.
5. Reset your Windows 10
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows + I and navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Recovery from the left pane. In the right pane, click on Get started button in the Reset this PC section.
- Choose the option to keep your files and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once the process is finished, you’ll have a fresh installation of Windows ready.
Remember that factory reset removes installed applications, so you’ll have to install them again.
Is AutoIt V3 script a virus?
If you have used AutoIt for any significant amount of time, you are probably aware that it is an excellent and highly effective scripting language.
As is the case with all vital languages, one of the potential drawbacks is the generation of viruses by individuals with nefarious intentions.
Your installation of AutoIt does not include any viruses, and if a script you have written is flagged as a virus even though you do not intend to cause harm, it is an example of a false positive.
Is AutoIt malicious?
No, unless you haven’t downloaded the software from the official source, AutoIt is completely safe.
For more automation software, check out our article with the five best automated macro software.
Did you find a solution to this problem on your own? Feel free to share it with us in the comments section below.