- Several users reported that their Avira Antivirus can't update, which could cause a lot of problems when it comes to online privacy.
- In this article, we will show you how to fix this issue, so keep reading.
- For everything you'd like to know about online protection tools, go to our Antivirus Hub.
- If you are interested to learn more about Virtual Private Networking, make sure to check out our VPN section.
Avira is probably the most commonly used free third-party antivirus at this moment.
While other solutions play on a variety of different cards, the go-to trait of Avira is the feature-reach suite with even VPN included. Avira issues are, also, quite rare which puts it in front of some other tools.
However, this seamless use is shortly disrupted by minor problems. One commonly-reported issue concerns updates or rather Avira’s inability to download updates.
We will provide some solutions for the problem in this article so, if you’re on the affected side, make sure to check them out below.
Before we jump to the solutions, we’d like to make a warm recommendation that might come in as useful when you encounter problems with your current browser.
Namely, we advise you to switch to Bitdefender, not just for the sake of a change, but also due to the on-top features that Bitdefender has compared with Avira.
The amazing performance, security-enhancing features, usability, and non-stop tech support makes Bitdefender one of the best antivirus software to use.
Other great selling points are the fact that every year, the software gets top ranks in all specialized tests.
This antivirus has been constantly appreciated for the clean and accessible interface, detection rates for the latest malware, and the low number of false positives compared to other antivirus programs.
BitdefenderKeep your device safe against malware threats and benefit from a minimum interference with your system. Try it now!
What can I do if Avira Antivirus can’t update?
1. Disable Windows Defender
- Open Windows Defender.
- Open Virus & threat protection.
- Select Virus & threat protection settings.
- Disable Real-time protection.
Note: If you’ve had any other solution installed prior to Avira, we suggest clearing every remaining associated files and registry entries. The best way to do so is by using third-party tools.
2. Disable Web protection temporarily
- Open Avira Antivirus.
- Select Settings.
- Open Internet protection.
- Disable Web Protection.
- Try downloading updates.
Since Avira covers all possible protective segments, like any other suite, it makes sure to protect the web-browsing as well. Now, we can’t be sure why this is the case, but some users resolved the issue by simply disabling the Web Protection temporarily. After that, they were able to update the Avira client for Windows 10 without additional problems.
3: Reinstall Avira
- Download Avira RegistryCleaner.
- Press and hold Shift and click on Restart to restart your PC.
- Select Troubleshoot and then Advanced options.
- Click on Startup settings and then Restart.
- Choose Safe mode on the next screen.
- Navigate to Control Panel and select Uninstall a program and remove Avira.
- Run the Avira RegistryCleaner tool to clear all registry inputs.
- Navigate to C:Program Files and delete the Avira folder.
- Restart your PC and download the latest Avira iteration.
4: Update Avira manually
- Download Avira Fusebundle generator.
- Unpack it and save somewhere you can easily access it.
- Run the Fusebundle.exe file.
- Open Avira and click Update and select Manual update.
- Load the VDF zipped file stored in the Avira Fusbundle Generator and select Install folder.
- Wait until the updates are installed and restart your PC.
With that said, we can conclude this article. If the update problem persists, we suggest sharing the log files on the official support forum. Or you can contact the support directly.
In case you have additional suggestions or alternate solutions, we encourage you to share them with us in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.