SOLVED: Avira Antivirus won’t update on Windows PCs
Avira is probably the most commonly used free third-party antivirus at this moment. While other solutions play on a variety of different cards, the go-to trait of Avira is the feature-reach suite with even VPN included. Avira issues are, also, quite rare which puts it in front of some other tools. However, this seamless use is shortly disrupted by minor problems. One commonly-reported issue concerns updates or rather Avira’s inability to download updates.
We made sure to provide some solutions for the problem, so if you’re on the affected side, make sure to check them out below.
Can’t update Avira Antivirus ? Here’s the fix
1: Disable Windows Defender
Firstly, in order for a third-party antivirus to work in a seamless manner, you need to ditch the built-in protection. Windows Defender is automatically disabled after an installation. However, this seemingly doesn’t need to be the case. We suggest inspecting Windows Defender and disable it if needed. Windows Defender should co-operate with Windows Defender, but there were a lot of issues reported when both protective solutions were enabled at the same time.
Also, if you’ve had any other solution installed prior to Avira, we suggest clearing every remaining associated files and registry entries. The best way to do so is by using third-party tools, but you can inform additionally and do it by hand with the same results.
Here’s how to disable Windows Defender and stick with Avira solely (at least in real-time protection segment):
- Open Windows Defender.
- Open Virus & threat protection.
- Select Virus & threat protection settings.
- Disable Real-time protection.
2: Disable Web Protection temporarily
Since Avira covers all possible protective segments, as any other suite, it makes sure to protect the web-browsing as well. Now, we can’t be sure why this is the case, but some users resolved the issue by simply disabling the Web Protection temporarily. After that, they were able to update the Avira client for Windows 10 without additional problems.
With that in mind, we suggest to give it a try. Follow the instructions to disable Web Protection in Avira:
- Open Avira Antivirus.
- Select Settings.
- Open Internet protection.
- Disable Web Protection.
- Try downloading updates.
3: Reinstall Avira
Reinstalling Avira might help, too. Now, in order to fix the wrongs of the current installation, you’ll need to reinstall Avira cleanly. This includes removing all remaining associated files and registry inputs. The first part can be done by hand, but for the registry inputs deletion, we suggest downloading the Avira RegistryCleaner tool.
Follow these steps to perform a clean reinstallation of Avira Antivirus on Windows 10:
- Download Avira RegistryCleaner, here.
- Press and hold Shift and click on Restart to restart your PC in the Advanced menu.
- Select Troubleshoot and then Advanced options.
- Click on Startup settings and then Restart.
- Choose Safe mode or Safe mode on the next screen.
- Navigate to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove Avira.
- Run the Avira RegistryCleaner tool to clear all registry inputs.
- Navigate to C:Program Files (or Program Files 86x) and delete the Avira folder.
- Restart your PC and download the latest Avira iteration, here.
- Install it and look for improvements with updating.
4: Update Avira manually
Finally, if this is a bug we are looking at or a minor blockage on the dedicated servers, downloading the virus definition update manually might help. Updating definitions manually should get you going and the automatic updates should be applicable afterward. You can download the single definition update by hand. Alternatively, you can use the tool which sideloads definition updates and stores them internally for all Avira applications.
Follow these steps to download Avira updates manually:
- Download Avira Fusebundle generator, here.
- Unpack it and save somewhere you can easily access it.
- Run the Fusebundle.exe file.
- Open Avira and click Update > Manual update.
- Load the VDF zipped file stored in the Avira Fusbundle Generator > Install folder.
- Wait until the updates are installed and restart your PC.
With that said, we can conclude this article. If the update problem persists, we suggest sharing the log files on the official support forum. Or you can contact the support directly. In case you have additional suggestions or alternate solutions, we encourage you to share them with us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Avira Privacy Pal prevents and fixes privacy issues on Windows PCs
- What’s the best Windows 10 antivirus software for home users?
- Antivirus triggers black screen issues on Windows 10 April Update
- Windows Security is the new antivirus center in Windows 10 Redstone 5
A serial port can be useful, but some users reported Unable to open serial port message on their PC. This can be a big problem, […]
Most of us print documents frequently, but sometimes Operation on the printer is required message can appear and prevent you from printing. This can be […]