- The backgroundcontainer.dll not found error usually occurs if your security programs have deleted malware-infected files.
- If you encountered a problem starting backgroundcontainer.dll, the first step to fix this issue using dedicated repair software.
- Another great idea is to use a Microsoft tool to remove a scheduled task.
- The backgroundcontainer.dll error in Windows 10 is caused by malware so use a malware removal tool.
Sometimes, after restarting your PC you may encounter a backgroundcontainer.dll not found error.
This error usually occurs if your security programs have deleted malware-infected files that Windows Task Scheduler is trying to execute.
The error seems to have affected many Windows users as we have seen a couple of users reporting similar errors in the Microsoft Community Forums.
On startup I keep getting message that the following module is not found
C:Users| my nameappdatalocalconduitbackgroundcontainerbackgroundcontainer.dll
I have already gone in and searched for anything to do with conduit and deleted to the best of my knowledge but it still keeps coming up on restart
If you are also troubled by backgroundcontainer.dll not found error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to resolve it in your Windows 10 computer.
How can I fix the backgroundcontainer.dll not found error?
1. Use specialized software to fix the DLL
Replacing a DLL that is not working is pretty risky because these files are very important for the system.
If you attempt replacing the file manually, don’t download it from a random website because it can contain all sorts of malware.
The quickest and easiest way of fixing the DLLs is to use specialized software that can do that for you automatically.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Use AutoRun to remove the scheduled task
- Download AutoRun.
- Create a new folder on your boot drive like this:
- Extract the AutoRun Zip file to the newly created folder.
- Open the extracted folder and double-click on Autorun.exe file to launch it.
- AutoRun will scan the system for all the scheduled tasks.
- When it is done, it will say Ready at the bottom and list all the entries under the Everything tab.
- Press Ctrl + F to open the Find window.
- In the Find window, type backgroundcontainer.dll and click on Find Next.
- When found, right-click on backgroundcontainer.dll entry and select Delete.
- Exit Autoruns and reboot your computer when done.
- After the reboot check if the backgroundcontainer.dll not found error is resolved.
3. Delete scheduled tasks manually
- If AutoRuns failed to find the scheduled tasks or if the issue persists even after deleting the entry, you can delete the entry manually using the Task scheduler.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security and select Administrative Tools.
- Double-click on Task Scheduler to open it.
- Click on Task Scheduler Library.
- In Task Scheduler, look for an entry related to BackgroundContainer.
- If found, right-click on it and select Delete.
- Close the Task Scheduler window and close any other program that is open.
- Reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
4. Run a malware removal tool
- Irrespective of whether the above steps resolved the backgroundcontainer.dll not found error, make sure you download and run the Junkware Removal and Adwcleaner tools.
- Malwarebytes offers the most popular Adwcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool that are free and effective.
- Download and run these tools to clean your system for any infection that remains undetected by the antivirus.
Malwarebytes is the best and lightest tool to remove any malware from your PC fast and effortless so try it.
Malwarebytes can get rid of any malware that may infected your PC in one swift action and no effort from your part.
5. Reset the browser settings in Chrome
- Click on the three dots icon in the top right corner of Chrome and open Settings.
- Scroll down and click Advanced.
- Under the Reset and clean up section, click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Reset settings and wait for the process to commence.
The Backgroundcontainer.dll not found error may be scary but we hope that you managed to fix it with our detailed solutions. Don’t forget to leave a comment in the dedicated section below with your thoughts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Backgroundcontainer.dll is the file associated with the browser hijacker and it causes Windows startup errors. Here’s a guide on how to get rid of browser hijackers.
The backgroundcontainer.dll error is a sign of malware. Here’s our guide on how to fix the backgroundcontainer.dll error.
No, it is not. The original rundll32.exe file is a safe Microsoft Windows system process. However, it can be used by wrongdoers. If you have doubts, run a full system scan.