- Sometimes, after restarting your PC you may encounter backgroundcontainer.dll not found error. This error usually occurs if your security programs have deleted malware-infected files.
- After you are sure you deleted all the malware infection from your computer, the first step to fix this issue would be to use AutoRun to Remove the Scheduled Task.
- If you meet with a missing DLL situation, don't download the file from an unknown source. The Fix DLL errors in Windows 10 section will guide you on how to solve this problem without infecting your system.
- For any other Windows errors, try checking our Windows 10 errors hub and you will definitely find a solution.
Sometimes, after restarting your PC you may encounter backgroundcontainer.dll not found error.
This error usually occurs if your security programs have deleted malware-infected files that Windows Task Scheduler is trying to execute.
The error seems to have affected many Windows users as we have seen a couple of users reporting similar errors in the Microsoft Community Forums.
On startup I keep getting message that the following module is not found
C:\Users| my name\appdata\local\conduit\background\container\backgroundcontainer.dll
I have already gone in and searched for anything to do with conduit and deleted to the best of my knowledge but it still keeps coming up on restart
If you are also troubled by backgroundcontainer.dll not found error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to resolve it in your Windows computer.
How can I fix Backgroundcontainer.dll not found error?
1. Use AutoRun to Remove the Scheduled Task
- Before you use AutoRun to remove the scheduled task, it is important that you have removed any malware or virus that has infected your computer completely.
- You can download and install the trial version of Malwarebytes or check our best antivirus recommendation to find the best system security software.
- Once you have scanned the system for any threat and removed it, follow these steps to run AutoRun.
- Download AutoRun to your computer.
- Create a new folder on your boot drive like this:
- Extract the AutoRun Zip file to the newly created folder.
- Open the extracted folder and double-click on Autorun.exe file to launch it.
- AutoRun will scan the system for all the scheduled tasks.
- When it is done, it will say Ready at the bottom and list all the entries under Everything tab.
- Press Ctrl + F to open the Find window.
- In the Find window, type backgroundcontainer.dll and click on Find Next.
- When found, right-click on backgroundcontainer.dll entry and select Delete.
- Exit Autoruns and reboot your computer when done.
- After the reboot check if the backgroundcontainer.dll not found error is resolved.
2. Delete Scheduled Tasks Manually
- If AutoRuns failed to find the scheduled tasks or if the issue persists even after deleting the entry, you can delete the entry manually using the Task scheduler.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security > Administrative Tools.
- Double-click on Task Scheduler to open it.
- Click on Task Scheduler Library.
- In Task Scheduler, look for an entry related to BackgroundContainer.
- If found, right-click on it and select Delete.
- Close the Task Scheduler window and close any other program that is open.
- Reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
3. Run Junkware Removal Tool
- Irrespective of whether the above steps resolved the backgroundcontainer.dll not found error, make sure you download and run the Junkware Removal and Adwcleaner tools.
- Malwarebytes offers the most popular Adwcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool that are free and effective.
- Download and run these tools to clean your system for any infection that remains undetected by the antivirus.
FAQ: Read more about BackgroundContainer.dll
- What is BackgroundContainer DLL?
- How to fix Backgroundcontainer.dll not found error in Windows?
- What is run DLL?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.