A headphone amp is a relatively low-powered amplifier that raises the low-voltage audio signal from a source device so that the speakers in your headphones can provide better sound.
Bass boost is a feature that some of these amplifiers have that, as the name implies, improve the bass performance of a sound signal.
There are plenty of such devices out there tough, and choosing one can be difficult. That is why we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the best.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Top headphone amps with bass boost that I can buy
- Can handle PCM files up to 24-bit/96 kHz while improving audio quality
- Has an optimized low-pass filter and selectable bass boost circuit
- Connects to your laptop via its micro USB connection
- Sleek, brushed aluminum shell and chassis allow for durable, portable use.
- Best suited for experts
The FiiO E10K is designed to improve your laptop’s audio output quality via its PCM5102 DAC chip , improving the sound quality of whatever you are listening to beyond what the headphones could ever deliver.
It comes with a selectable bass boost and low-pass filter, both of which are circuitry optimized for a low noise floor when engaged, allowing you to customize the sound of your audio to the finest details.
- Power and audio quality for headphones ranging from 16 to 100 Ohms
- Renowned sound quality through expertly selected components and design
- Beautiful all-aluminum body and chassis
- 160 mAh internal battery powers for up to 14 hours of use
- Can’t be used while charging
If you have headphones ranging from 16 to 100 Ohms then the FiiO A1 is the right amplifier for you since it is potent enough to drive all but the most power-hungry headphones.
It also comes with a great bass boost circuit that completely bypasses when off to ensure low noise floor and purity of sound quality.
The A1 provides one flat, and three bass enhanced EQ profiles which you can switch by pressing the power button. The light will indicate which EQ mode you’re on.
- Supports high-performance headphones for a studio-grade listening experience
- 120 dB USB Digital Audio Converter (DAC)
- High-quality powered headphone splitter
- Native 7.1 surround sound
- Crystal Voice features
- Some issues with the software
If sound clarity and quality are more of your thing, then the Creative Sound BlasterX G5 is the headphone amplifier that you need in your life.
They let you enjoy your music on the go with the jaw-dropping audio fidelity and 7.1 virtual surround sound that will simply engulf you into a cloud of music.
We need to remind you that all is based on a built-in 120 dB USB Digital Audio Converter (DAC).
- Dual headphone output jack with smartphone support for making calls with CTIA headsets
- Smooth rotating analog volume knob
- Over 8 hours of battery life and two bass boost levels
- Up to 250 mW power output
- Support for 16 to 150 Ohm headphones
- Not suited for expensive professional headphones
The Indigo Portable Powered Headphone Amplifier is the tool that you need if you want to improve the music listening experience in your life.
Not only does it improve the sound quality of otherwise weak headphones, but the two levels of bass boost also let you feel the beat like never before.
- Ultra-portable headphone amplifier
- Two 1/8-inch headphone jacks
- Compatible with high-quality, high-impedance (from 16-100 ohms) headphones
- Long-lasting (approx. 8 hours) rechargeable Lithium polymer battery
- Bright LED indicator for power on, battery charge, and low battery warnings
- Universal connection to virtually all audio equipment with a 1/8-inch output connector
- Adds bass but doesn’t really amplify anything else
Not everyone needs a headphone amplifier, but if you like to feel the music vibrate deep inside your core, then the M-Audio Bass Traveler is just what you need.
Featuring two conveniently located 1/8-inch headphone outputs and one 1/8-inch stereo input jack, Bass Traveler seamlessly connects to virtually all personal listening devices.
Buying a headphone amplifier for an audiophile is the same as buying expensive gear for gaming.
You do end up spending some extra money, but you will do it to improve an aspect of your life in a way that others would not really care about.
Thus, if you want to feel a song’s bass with your entire being, not just your ears, a good headphone amp will take you a long way.
FAQ: Read more about headphone amplifiers
- What are the best headphone amps?
A good way of doing that is to buy a headphone amplifier. Here’s an excellent list with the best headphone amplifiers.
- Do headphone amps improve sound quality?
Of course, they do, but they can’t perform miracles. In other words, you need good headphones to benefit from a real sound enhancement from an amp.
- Does an amp increase volume?
Yes, it does, that’s the main function of an amplifier but it can also transform and enhance the input sound. If you need a good amplifier, here’s our list with the best.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in November 2019 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.