- Look no further if you’re interested in finding the best personal bookkeeping software tools.
- Users in search of fast-tracking their daily spending routines should try out QuickBooks.
- Feel free to learn how to make use of these tools from our Accounting software section.
- This Personal Finance Hub also includes a variety of tips to achieve all your goals.
Gone are the days when you have to rummage through your drawer on a tax return date.
For anyone with a limited budget, bookkeeping/accounting software is a necessity in order to stay on top of everything in this modern age.
If the subscription cost has been what’s keeping you from using an accounting software system, there is a wide variety of tools out there to help you monitor your expenses.
Bookkeeping software works to automate tasks and let you save hours of accounting time, so let’s see five great picks.
QuickBooks is a popular bookkeeping software tool that supports small businesses as well as individuals who want nothing but the best.
Some users like that they can create custom, professional invoices, sales receipts, and estimates that reflect their business and your brand.
Others just want to stay on top of who owes them, how much, and when their payment is due or enjoy one-click payments.
The tool helps you all to secure data sharing with an accountant and it supports integration with Microsoft Outlook.
Key features include:
- Organize Expenses – Connect bank and credit card accounts for automatic downloads and categorization; plug into apps you already use for seamless integration
- One-click reporting – With a single click, you can quickly see your profit & loss, balance sheet, and dozens of other reports
- Share with your accountant – Your accountant can instantly access your records from anywhere, anytime (for free!). It’s a simpler way to collaborate with your accountant
- Take care of money anywhere – From the coffee shop to the airport lounge, follow up on a late invoice, run payroll, or update customer data from your mobile or tablet
- Enhanced Payroll – Pay W-2 employees and file payroll taxes with QuickBooks; just enter hours and pay by check or direct deposit
- Full-Service Payroll – Let QuickBooks run and file payroll taxes for you. You’ll get guaranteed error-free paychecks and payroll taxes
- Paperless receipt tracking – Stay organized on the go; snap a photo of your receipt and link it to a transaction for easy tax prep
- Dashboard overview – Income, expenses, outstanding invoices, and other key business financials are on view as soon as you sign in
- Automate your spending – Manage your bills and set up reoccurring payments for automatic bill pay that’s hassle-free
When you want to avoid time-consuming financial tasks, try out QuickBooks. It automatically calculates taxes with ease.
NolaPro caters to the needs of small enterprises with its easy-to-use interface. This online bookkeeping software features the following:
- Contacts – Quickly manage customers, employees, vendors, and more
- Ledger – Double Entry Accounting with Industry Standard Accounts
- Order Management – Maintain orders from your customers and purchases from your vendors
- Billing – In-depth receivables, quotes, POS, and recurring invoices
- Payables – Organize bills, write checks, issue purchase orders
- Inventory – Manage inventory costs, stock levels, and price levels with ease
- Payroll – Full Payroll Check process support with W-2/941 Forms
- Data Backups – Keep your data safe with easy to make backups
- Secure Site – NolaPro incorporates multiple security methods to ensure your safety
- Automatic Updates – A free service to all of our cloud subscribers
- Customizable – Your modules. Your industry. Your choice
If you want more features, you can upgrade to the premium version for $10 or $40 per month.
If you are looking for a personal and small-business bookkeeping software, then GnuCash is for you.
The tool lets you monitor bank accounts, stocks, income, and expenses. GnuCash is easy and intuitive to use as a checkbook register.
GnuCash also manages other functions of a bookkeeping tool including invoicing and credit notes, accounts payable and receivable, and employee expenses.
Its key features include:
- Double-Entry Accounting
- Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
- Small-Business Accounting
- Reports, Graphs
- QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
- Scheduled Transactions
- Financial Calculations
- Statement Reconciliation
- Income/Expense Account Types>
- Small Business Accounting Features
- Multiple Currencies
- Stock/Mutual Fund Portfolios
- Online Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes
- Experimental database support
- QIF and OFX Import
- HBCI Support
- Transaction Finder
- Check Printing
- Mortgage & Loan Repayment Assistant
Money Manager Ex is another impressive open-source tool for bookkeeping. While it is a free tool, the software includes features that compete with premium services.
The application is portable, which means you can save and use it from a USB stick without installing it.
Its key features are:
- Intuitive, simple, fast, clean
- Checking, credit card, savings, stock investment, assets accounts
- Reminders for recurring bills and deposits
- Budgeting and cash flow forecasting
- Simple one-click reporting with graphs and piecharts
- Import data from any CSV format, QIF
- Does not require an install: can run from a USB key
- Non-Proprietary SQLite Database with AES Encryption
Peachtree accounting software includes four versions to address the needs of various businesses, nonprofit organizations, manufacturing, construction, and individuals.
The tool works with the ACT! contact management software. Other add-on services are also available to extend features, including payroll and merchant accounts.
Other popular features of Sage Peachtree Accounting include:
- Outlook Connector. Automatically sync Microsoft Outlook contacts and Sage 50c contacts to save you time. Access customer balance information, credit limits, contact details, and order history – even if away from the office
- Cloud Back-Up. Get the security and peace of mind with automated data back-ups stored offsite, in the cloud. You can also undo data entry errors by restoring data from the cloud as of a particular date. Never again be stuck without a recent backup
- Microsoft Office Business Premium. Minimize your vendor’s list and easily manage your technology platforms – and your budget – with one monthly payment that covers your core business solutions, your accounting package, and your office suite, Access core Microsoft apps
- Sales optimization. Easily keep track of all your customers. Create quotes and proposals, then convert them to sales orders and invoices with a click
- Expense management. Record all your purchases and expenses, never miss a payment, and stay in control of your cash
- Mobile Invoicing. You can take payments on the go with mobile and online invoicing. Instantly improves cash flow
- Dashboards. At-a-glance dashboards instantly tell you where your business stands – available cash, receivables, expenses, inventory on hand, and so much more
- Reporting. One-click reports on sales, taxes, upcoming expenditures, profits – everything you and your accountant need to analyze business performance
- Payroll. Payroll services built right into your software make it easier to pay employees, track benefits, and report taxes
Which tool is the best for you? Let us know in the comments area below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.