- Malicious sites can use your browser location for scam-related activities.
- Browser location permission gives websites and web apps access to location API.
- Make sure to turn on location services for only trusted websites to ensure safe browsing sessions.
Browser geolocation permission is a common thing with most browsers. User locations can be used for several purposes, and that is why most people don’t give access to it in apps. However, browser location permission is a request that the browser sends to users to allow access to your current geolocation.
Moreover, browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera One, Mozilla Firefox, and others take advantage of users’ locations to find relevant information. The browser searches through the businesses and places in your location to help you find activities and navigate easily.
Nonetheless, enabling geolocation access in your browser settings can detrimentally affect the users’ security. It gives access to malicious websites to know your geolocation which they can use for theft activities.
Hence, users will learn what the browser location permission does and how to turn it on and off.
Why do websites want to know my location?
Websites use your location to determine the contents that are appropriate and beneficial for you based on your geolocation.
For instance, browser location permission helps YouTube find videos and content suitable for your environment and location. Likewise, shopping websites may use your geolocation API to find goods available for your area.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
However, a user’s location helps websites determine adverts that are appropriate and accessible for your location. It enables the website to scrutinize ads and display the adverts most relevant to your area.
Also, it improves site functionality. In other words, business websites, government websites, and location apps like maps can use your location to improve their services.
However, web apps like maps can use your location to provide you with local maps, identify nearby restaurants or hotels, and show directions.
Should location services be on or off?
Malicious websites can take advantage of users’ location for the wrong reasons that can’t be overemphasized. So, enabling location services for your browser can be beneficial and detrimental to users’ online security.
It allows them to access your whereabouts, and they can use it to plot dangerous things like online theft and sometimes physical theft.
Hence, we recommend that users turn off their location services to be safe. However, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be allowed to enable location access for websites.
Google can provide relevant information by accessing your location, but it can also be accessed by malicious sites and scripts if you’re not careful. You can easily hide your location by using a free VPN browser like Opera One.
Opera One comes with a built-in free and unlimited VPN that allows hiding or changing your location as you please. Moreover, it has other features like an ad and tracker blocker and a native AI.
Opera OneHide your location with ease using the preinstalled unlimited VPN.
1. Google Chrome
- Launch the Chrome browser on your computer.
- On the right-hand corner of the screen, click on the three dots to prompt the Menu tab.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Click on Privacy and security, then select Site Settings.
- On the new tab, select location.
- Choose the option you want as your default setting.
- Restart your browser for the changes to sync.
After this process, browser geolocation permission would be disabled on your Google Chrome. Hence, it will not tie your activities to your location anymore.
2. Opera One
- Launch the Opera One browser on your computer.
- Click on the Menu button.
- Select Settings from the drop-down and click on Privacy and Security.
- Click Site setting and choose location.
- Here, you can change your browser location settings whenever you like.
However, we recommend you close and relaunch your browser for the changes to sync correctly.
3. Mozilla Firefox
- Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser on your computer.
- On the right-hand corner of the screen, click on the Menu button, and choose Options.
- Select Privacy and security on the left side of the screen.
- Go to Permissions, then click on Settings right in front of the location.
While in the location permission settings tab, you can change your browser geolocation access in your browser settings.
4. Microsoft Edge
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on your device and select Menu.
- Click on the Settings button.
- Select cookies and site permission from the drop-down.
- Click on Location.
Users can on and off location access and manage it for specific websites in the browser location permission settings.
How do I stop my browser from knowing my location?
Disable location access for your browser on Windows
- Press the Windows + I key simultaneously to prompt Settings.
- Go to the bottom of the screen and click on Privacy.
- Click on the location, scroll down and toggle off the switch for the Allow apps to access your location option. (It will disable location access for all apps)
However, to disable geolocation access for a specific app, do these:
- In location, toggle on the Allow apps to access your location option.
- Scroll down to Choose which apps can access your precise location and turn off the switch for your browser.
Nonetheless, turning on your browser location services can result in security breaches. Hence, users must know how to protect their browsers from online thefts. We recommend you read our article about the methods to protect yourself from browser information leaks.
Furthermore, VPNs are suitable for online protection. They protect you from being detected online while going about your online activities by connecting you to the internet through encrypted servers. So, it may be beneficial to know the best VPNs for laptops with enhanced security and speed.
Kindly leave your feedback and suggestions in the comments section below. We’d like to hear from you.