- Some of the main browsers are Edge (bundled with Windows), Chrome, and Firefox. There are scenarios when all three are affected by the same issue type of annoying malware.
- Your browser opening random windows on your system is a clear sign of a virus infection.
- You need to take immediate action and we're going to show you how to do that in this article.
Some users have posted on Mozilla, Google, and Microsoft forums about their Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers opening multiple tabs by themselves.
Those users have said that new tabs keep on opening in their browsers automatically or when they click links.
Learn how to fix this with the steps below.
Why does my browser keep opening multiple windows?
This is not at all a good sign, and you should consider taking immediate safety measures. Know that browsers opening multiple tabs automatically is often due to malware or adware.
That being said, if this is the case, we strongly recommend that you rapidly check for adware, browser hijackers, and PUPs.
This is a serious matter and should be dealt with accordingly, as malware infestations can lead to severe security breaches and loss of data.
How do I stop multiple windows from opening in the browser?
1. Switch to a new browser
Aren’t you tired of the same old browsers? Here’s our recommendation. Use a browser that has been around for a long time, so that you benefit from all the experience over the years. The same one should have been redesigned and reborn, completely modern.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Don’t have one in mind? We do. It’s called Opera One. It’s based on the Chromium engine, with multiple personalization options and a lot of features that are quite useful while browsing.
For instance, you might have a lot of tabs opened. You can perform a search through all your open tabs.
Another scenario is that you encounter geo-restricted content while browsing. With Opera One, which comes with a built-in VPN, you can quickly enable it and get past the restriction easily.
How about increasing your productivity? Things such as My Flow and Workspaces have been designed specifically to help with many opened tabs and repetitive actions.
Opera OneProtection from adware with a built-in ad-blocker, AI prompts utilities, and fluid navigation.
2. Reset the browser
- Resetting browsers can also fix them by opening multiple tabs automatically, as that will turn off (or remove) their extensions, clear browsing data (which might include virus scripts), and restore them to their default settings. To reset Google Chrome, enter chrome://settings in the browser’s URL bar and press Return.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Then scroll down and click Restore settings to their original default configuration.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the Refresh Firefox button on the Refresh Firefox page.
3. Reinstall the browser
- Some users might need to reinstall their browsers to fix the tabs keep opening error, which will fix corrupted installations. To do that, launch Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Then users can open the uninstaller by entering appwiz.cpl in Run and clicking OK.
- Select the browser to remove.
- Click the Uninstall option.
- Select the Yes option to provide further confirmation.
- Then restart Windows after uninstalling the browser.
- Download the latest version of the browser from its website. Then reinstall the browser.
4. Purge adware with a dedicated tool
- Browsers opening multiple tabs automatically is often due to malware or adware. Therefore, scanning for adware with Malwarebytes can often fix browsers opening tabs automatically, so run the application.
- Click the Scan button to check for adware, browser hijackers, and PUPs.
Using Malwarebytes provides you with two main benefits:
- It can easily detect any installed malware and remove it. This applies even to rogue browser extensions that might have gotten themselves installed in Chrome or Firefox.
- While running, because of the website protection module, this type of malware will not be able to install on your system again.
So you will not have to worry about these types of problems ever again.
5. Reset Content Type Actions
- This is a potential fix more specifically for Firefox users. Try adjusting content type settings by clicking Firefox’s Open menu button and selecting Options.
- Then click the General tab.
- Scroll to the Applications section.
- Select content types listed there to choose alternative actions for them in the Actions column. Select the Always ask action for content types.
How do I know if my computer has malware?
Just like with a disease, there are certain symptoms that indicate a malware infection. First of all, your system will be significantly slower than usual.
Besides the fact that your screen will be full of useless and annoying ads, your system will constantly crash, you will always be low on disk space, and the browser’s settings will change.
Furthermore, your trusty antivirus software will stop working, giving you a false sense of security, and you will also lose access to files on your system.
There are other signs that could indicate the same thing as well, but these are the most obvious ones and you should prioritize dealing with the situation if you observe this.
Millions of people worldwide are dealing with dire situations where their data has been compromised, leading to loss of files, money, even identity theft, and much worse.
So, if you see your Chrome opening multiple tabs, or any other browser performing actions that lead to multiple windows opening uncontrollably, stop what you’re doing and eliminate the threat.
As we said, a browser opening multiple tabs is never a good sign and is by no means a mistake. It’s the number one sign that your system has been compromised.
However, after reading this guide, you will have the proper tools to combat this. Leave a comment below if you have any further questions regarding this delicate matter.