- The three main browsers are Internet Explorer (bundled with Windows), Google Chrome and Firefox.
- There are scenarios when all three are affected by the same issue. Such as multiple tabs being opened automatically. Usually you need to remove some malware.
- For other specific issues, check the browser error section to find out how to deal with them.
- Learn everything about your favourite software in the Browsers Hub.
Those users have said that new tabs keep on opening in their browsers automatically or when they click links.
Learn how to fix this with the steps below.
Why does my browser open tabs on its own?
1. Switch to a new browser
Aren’t you tired of the same old browsers?
Here’s our recommendation. Use a browser that has been around for a long time, so that you benefit from all the experience over the years. The same one should have been redesigned and reborn, completely modern.
Don’t have one in mind? We do. It’s called the Opera browser. It’s based on the Chromium engine, with multiple personalization options and a lot of features that are quite useful while browsing.
For instance, you might have a lot of tabs opened. You can perform a search through all your open tabs.
Another scenario is that you encounter geo-restricted content while browsing. With Opera, which comes with a built-in VPN, you can quickly enabled it and get past the restriction easily.
How about increasing your productivity? Thing such as My Flow and Workspaces have been designed specifically to help with many opened tabs and repetitive actions.
Find our more, if you like, by hitting the Read more button down below.
Protection from adware with a built-in ad-blocker. Opera is the better browser that you should download now.
2. Purge Adware with Malwarebytes
- Browsers opening multiple tabs automatically is often due to malware or adware. Therefore, scanning for adware with Malwarebytes can often fix browsers opening tabs automatically.
- Run the application.
- Click the Scan button to check for adware, browser hijackers, and PUPs.
Using Malwarebytes provides you with two main benefits.
- It can easily detect any installed malware and remove it. This applies even to rogue browser extensions that might have gotten themselves installed in Chrome or Firefox.
- While running, because of the website protection module, these type of malware will not be able to install on your system again.
So you will not have to worry about these type of problems ever again.
Quickly scan and clean your computer. This way, the browsers won't open multiple tabs by themselves
3. Reset Browsers
- Resetting browsers can also fix them opening multiple tabs automatically as that will turn off (or remove) their extensions, clear browsing data (which might include virus scripts), and restore them to their default settings. To reset Google Chrome, enter ‘chrome://settings’ in the browser’s URL bar and press Return.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Then scroll down and click Restore settings to their original default configuration.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the Refresh Firefox button on the Refresh Firefox page.
Internet Explorer 11
- Internet Explorer users can reset that browser by clicking the Tools button on its window.
- Click Internet options to open the window shown directly below.
- Press the Reset button on the Advanced tab.
- Click Reset again to confirm.
4. Reinstall Browsers
- Some users might need to reinstall their browsers to fix the tabs keep opening error, which will fix corrupted installations. To do that, launch Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Then users can open the uninstaller by entering ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run and clicking OK.
- Select the browser to remove.
- Click the Uninstall option.
- Select the Yes option to provide further confirmation.
- Then restart Windows after uninstalling the browser.
- Download the latest version of the browser from its website. Then reinstall the browser.
5. Reset Content Type Actions
- This is a potential fix more specifically for Firefox users. Try adjusting content type settings by clicking Firefox’s Open menu button and selecting Options.
- Then click the General tab.
- Scroll to the Applications section shown directly below.
- Select content types listed there to choose alternative actions for them in the Actions column. Select the Always ask action for content types.