Why is my browser opening multiple tabs by itself? [SOLVED]
Some users have posted on Mozilla, Google, and Microsoft forums about their Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer browsers opening multiple tabs by themselves.
Those users have said that new tabs keep on opening in their browsers automatically or when they click links.
Learn how to fix this with the steps below.
Why does my browser open tabs on its own?
1. Purge Adware with AdwCleaner
- Browsers opening multiple tabs automatically is often due to malware or adware. Therefore, scanning for adware with Malwarebytes AdwCleaner can often fix browsers opening tabs automatically.
- Users can download Malwarebytes to Windows by clicking the Free Download button on that utility’s page, here.
- Run the application.
- Click the Scan button to check for adware, browser hijackers, and PUPs.
2. Reset Browsers
- Resetting browsers can also fix them opening multiple tabs automatically as that will turn off (or remove) their extensions, clear browsing data (which might include virus scripts), and restore them to their default settings. To reset Google Chrome, enter ‘chrome://settings’ in the browser’s URL bar and press Return.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Then scroll down and click Restore settings to their original default configuration.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the Refresh Firefox button on the Refresh Firefox page.
Internet Explorer 11
- Internet Explorer users can reset that browser by clicking the Tools button on its window.
- Click Internet options to open the window shown directly below.
- Press the Reset button on the Advanced tab.
- Click Reset again to confirm.
3. Reinstall Browsers
- Some users might need to reinstall their browsers to fix the tabs keep opening error, which will fix corrupted installations. To do that, launch Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Then users can open the uninstaller by entering ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run and clicking OK.
- Select the browser to remove.
- Click the Uninstall option.
- Select the Yes option to provide further confirmation.
- Then restart Windows after uninstalling the browser.
- Download the latest version of the browser from its website. Then reinstall the browser.
4. Reset Content Type Actions
- This is a potential fix more specifically for Firefox users. Try adjusting content type settings by clicking Firefox’s Open menu button and selecting Options.
- Then click the General tab.
- Scroll to the Applications section shown directly below.
- Select content types listed there to choose alternative actions for them in the Actions column. Select the Always ask action for content types.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to remove browser hijackers in Windows 10
- Fix: Opera opens two tabs
- 5 best browsers for users that open lots of tabs [FRESH LIST]
A wide range of users have reported that their computer starts-up with Devices Diagnostic Level set to Basic. More than this, it seems like the […]
Microsoft Forms is a popular service that is used by millions of people around the world to create polls and surveys, as well as quizzes. […]
Many users reported There was a problem with the printhead error while trying to print certain documents. This error will prevent you from printing, but […]