Fix: Canon PIXMA MP160 issues on Windows 10
Windows 10 is without a doubt a great operating system, but it has certain flaws. One of the biggest flaws of Windows 10 is its hardware compatibility, and certain older device might have problems working with Windows 10. Users reported issues with Canon PIXMA MP160, so let’s how to fix them.
Canon PIXMA MP160 issues on Windows 10, how to fix them?
Canon PIXMA MP160 is a great printer, but various issues with it can occur. Speaking of issues, here are some of the most common problems that users reported:
- Canon MP160 error 5 – If you encounter this problem with your printer, you might be able to fix it by updating your drivers. Alternatively, you can try installing the latest drivers and check if that helps.
- Canon PIXMA MP160 error 2, 5, 16, 5100 – There are various issues that can appear with your printer, and if you encounter any of these problems, you should be able to fix them using our solutions.
Solution 1 – Download Easy-WebPrint EX Ver. 1.6.0
If Canon PIXMA MP160 isn’t working on your Windows 10 PC you can try downloading Easy-WebPrint EX Ver. 1.6.0. After downloading Easy-WebPrint EX for Windows 10, you should be able to launch MP Navigator 3.0 and your device should start working. Bear in mind that you can use MP Navigator for Windows 8 without any problems on Windows 10.
Solution 2 – Start the scan from Control Panel
Users reported scanning issues with Canon PIXMA MP160, and if you have the same problem you can fix it with a simple workaround. In order to scan with Canon PIXMA MP160 you just need to start scanning process from the Control Panel. To do that follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Select Control Panel from the list of results.
- When the Control Panel opens, navigate to Devices and Printers.
- Go to the Printers section and locate Canon PIXMA MP160.
- Right-click your printer and choose Scan.
Unfortunately, you’ll have to repeat these steps every time you want to scan a document. To make this process a bit easier you can create a shortcut on your Desktop. To do that simply go to Devices and Printers, locate your printer, right-click it and choose Create shortcut option.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Print to PDF not working on Windows 10
Solution 3 – Reinstall the drivers
According to the users you can fix problems with Canon PIXMA MP160 simply by reinstalling its drivers. To do that, follow these steps:
- Unplug and turn off your printer.
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your printer driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall.
- If available, check Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.
Alternatively, you can open the Settings app and go to System > Apps & features and remove the drivers. After you’ve removed the drivers, go to Canon’s website and download Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers for your printer. Install them and then connect your printer. After doing that download Not another PDF scanner software and you should be able to scan without any problems.
If you don’t want to manually search for the latest drivers, you can always use third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater to automatically download the missing drivers. Once you update your drivers, the issue should be completely resolved.
Solution 4 – Install the drivers in Compatibility Mode
If you have problems with Canon PIXMA MP160 you can fix them by installing your drivers in Compatibility Mode. To do that follow these steps:
- Download the latest drivers for your device.
- Find the driver setup file, right click it and choose Properties.
- Go to Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for and then select Windows 7 or any other version of Windows. If that version of Windows doesn’t work, you might have to try with another.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Run the setup file and install the drivers.
Solution 5 – Temporarily remove ink jets
Some users reported an E4 error with their Canon PIXMA MP160 printer, and in order to fix it, you’ll need to remove your inkjets. This process might be slightly complex, but you should be able to perform it by following these steps:
- First, turn off your printer.
- Wait for a few seconds and then turn the printer back on again.
- Press and hold the Reset button for 5 seconds and then let it go. The Reset button is labeled Stop/Reset and it has a red triangle inside the circle.
- Now open your printer cover and wait for the ink jets to shift to the left side.
- Once the ink jets move, take both of them out. Wait for a few seconds and insert the ink jets again. Close the printer cover.
- Wait while your printer starts.
- Now press the Black button. The button is labeled Black and it has a vertical line in a diamond as its icon.
After doing that, the E4 error should be fixed.
Solution 6 – Run the printer application as administrator
According to users, Canon PIXMA MP160 might not be disabled in Twain application. However, you can fix this problem simply by running the Twain application as an administrator. To do that, just follow these steps:
If this solves the problem, you’ll have to repeat these steps every time you want to scan a document. To make this process more streamlined, you can set the application to always run with administrative privileges. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Right-click the application and choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program as an administrator. Now click Apply and OK.
After doing that, the application will always start with administrative privileges and your issue should be permanently resolved.
Solution 7 – Install the latest updates
If you’re having problems with Canon PIXMA MP160 on your PC, it’s possible that the problems are caused by your system. Sometimes Windows 10 can have issues with certain devices, and if the printer doesn’t work with Canon PIXMA MP160, you might be able to fix the problem by installing the latest updates.
For the most part, Windows 10 installs the missing updates automatically, but you can always check for updates manually. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Update & Security section.
- Now click Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are installed, check if the problem with your printer is still there.
Solution 8 – Disconnect the printer and shut down your PC
Sometimes there might be a glitch on your system that prevents Canon PIXMA MP160 from working properly. However, you can fix the issue with this printer simply by disconnecting the printer from the PC and shutting down the PC.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the printer from your PC.
- Now shut down your PC, and disconnect its power cable from the power outlet.
- Wait for a few moments and turn your PC back on again.
- Once your PC boots, connect the printer once again.
This is a simple workaround, but several users reported that it worked for them, so you might want to try it out. Keep in mind that this is just a temporary solution, so if you encounter this problem again, you might have to repeat it.
Solution 9 – Clean your ink cartilages
Sometimes you might encounter various problems with Canon PIXMA MP160 simply due to your cartridges. Problems with cartridges are fairly common, but you can fix them by doing the following:
- Remove the ink cartridges from your printer.
- Turn the printer off by pressing the Power button on it.
- Now use a kitchen tissue or any other non-fibrous tissue to clean the contacts on the front of the cartridge.
- After doing that, press the power button to turn your printer back on again.
- Insert the cartridges.
After doing that, the problem with your printer should be resolved.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we also recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Windows 10 has some issues with Canon PIXMA MP160, but we hope that you managed to fix them after using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Unable to Install Printer in Windows 10
- Fix: Windows Computer Does not Find a Wireless Printer Signal
- Fix: Printer Doesn’t Scan in Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- Fix: Can’t Print PDF Files from Adobe Reader
- How to Fix Printing Problems in Windows 10
Errors like the avipbb.sys can be very frustrating for a beginner to fix. Even some professionals might encounter issues while fixing this error. Having this […]
Microsoft rolled out new features to Microsoft Teams — an enterprise chat-based collaboration solution. Enterprise users will find there is a new Microsoft Whiteboard integration […]
Microsoft releases another batch of cumulative updates for various versions of Windows 10 on the third Tuesday of the month. Although the update brings plenty of […]