FIX: Windows 10 won’t let me add a new user account
If you share your Windows 10 computer with another person, the best solution is to create separate users accounts for each user. In this manner, other users won’t be able to access and view your files. To add a new user account, all you need to do is go to Settings > Accounts > Family and other People and select the option ‘Add someone else to this PC’.
Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to create a new user account. Sometimes, the new account won’t show up or you can’t access it. In this post, we’ll tell you exactly why Windows 10 won’t create a new user account and how you can fix this problem.
Windows 10 won’t let me create a new user account
- Update your computer
- Run SFC scan
- Create the new user account from User Accounts
- Log into your Microsoft account
- Clean your Registry
1. Update your computer
Installing the latest Windows 10 updates may help you fix a bevy of general issues affecting the OS. If one of the Windows 10 features or apps is unavailable, make sure that you’re running the latest OS version available. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and hit the ‘Check for Update’ button.
2. Run SFC scan
System corruption issues may also block certain Windows 10 features and functionalities. You can quickly repair or replace corrupted files by using the System File Checker tool. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click on Command Prompt > run it as administrator
- Type the command sfc /scannow > hit Enter
- Wait until the scanning process is complete and all the problematic files are placed
- Restart your computer > try to add a new user account.
3. Create the new user account from User Accounts
Many users confirmed that creating a new user account from the User Accounts menu helped them fix the problem.
- Go to Search > type ‘run’ > double click on the first result to launch Run
- Type control userpasswords2 > hit Enter to launch User Accounts
- Go to the Users tab > click Add
- A new window will appear asking you ‘How will this person sign-in” > select ‘Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)’
- On the next window, select Local Account > select a user name for the new account > click Next > Finish
- Select the newly created user > go to Properties> Group Membership
- Select Administrator from drop-down menu > hit Apply > OK.
4. Log into your Microsoft account
If you can’t create a new user account on your Windows 10 computers, log out of your Microsoft account and then log back in (make sure you’re logged in in the first place).
SOLUTION FOR ME: I had this problem and solved it by logging into my Microsoft account. I went back in and suddenly I could add a user.
5. Clean your Registry
This problem can also be triggered by Registry issues. The quickest way to fix them is to install a Registry cleaner. Scan your system, reboot the computer and then check if the issue persists.
There you go, these five quick tips should help you fix the problem. Let us know which solution worked for you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Stuck With Defaultuser0 User Account When Trying to Upgrade to Windows 10
- Fix: Windows Apps Crash Because Of Corrupted User Account
- Full Fix: Disabled Administrator Account on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]