- Opera GX is a web browser for gamers, but many reported that they can't can't download it.
- To fix this issue, you need to check your Internet connection and ensure that it's working properly.
- Alternatively, you can fix the issue by using the offline installer instead.
When you try to download Opera GX from the official website, by default, you will be given an online installer.
On Windows systems, this will be in the form of an exe file that you will need to run in order to actually install the browser. In some instances, the Opera GX installer won’t work, but we covered that in a separate guide.
You will need to be connected to the Internet for the installation to proceed. If you are offline, the installer won’t be able to fetch the required files from the Opera servers.
Why does my Opera GX not download?
Even though users might be able to download the installer itself without any issues, the actual browser installation might fail for a variety of reasons.
At times, users may feel that the installation is stuck at some point. The progress bar may not indicate any movement for a long time. One of the reasons behind it is a bad Internet connection.
Since the installer requires additional files to be fetched from the Internet, it is necessary that it has stable access to Opera’s servers. If the network breaks down before the installation is over, the progress might stall.
Another common cause is the lack of disk space. If there is not enough disk space available for the installation to go ahead, it won’t be able to complete the process.
If Opera GX is taking too long to download on your PC, be sure to keep on reading to find out how to fix that.
What can I do if I can’t download Opera GX?
1. Check your Internet connection
- Make sure your Internet connection is stable. On Windows 11 systems, open the Start menu.
- Choose Settings.
- By default, the new window will open the System settings. Scroll down the list in the right pane and choose Troubleshoot.
- Choose Other troubleshooters.
- Choose the Run button for Internet Connections.
Windows will now check your Internet connection and accordingly display the results of the test.
After fixing any issues, check whether you still can’t download Opera GX.
2. Use the Offline Installer
- Go to the Opera download page.
- Expand the Opera GX section.
- Depending on whether you have Windows or macOS, choose the corresponding offline package.
This way you will be able to download Opera GX successfully. The installation will proceed smoothly even if you get disconnected.
If you’re Windows user, we suggest using Opera GX 64-bit download for best results.
3. Check the amount of free disk space
- When the installer begins, choose Options.
- Note the path mentioned for Install path.
- Using File Explorer, go to the path noted and check the amount of free space available.
- If there is not enough on the selected drive, free up some space. Alternatively, choose Change in the installer window to select a different path which has plenty of free space.
Can I run Opera GX on Chromebook?
Yes, it is possible to run gaming browsers on Chromebooks. Users can download Opera GX for Chromebooks from the Google Play store. It works similarly to the Android version of the browser.
We also wrote a great guide on how to install Opera on Chromebook, so you should check it out for detailed instructions.
Opera GX installers are available in both online and offline versions. You can even install Opera GX in a stand-alone manner so that you can install it on a portable drive in case no local drive has enough free space.
However, if the Opera GX download is stuck at 100 percent, you should also check for other issues, such as disk space.
This isn’t the only issue with Opera, and many reported that Opera GX won’t update, but we covered that in a separate guide.