- A PS4 is a great source of entertainment, despite the evergoing PC-console war that's been going on for quite a while now.
- Unfortunately, some of the content available on the PS4 Store can only be accessed and purchased by US residents.
- You can get access to exclusive deals and awesome game content by changing your PSN country on PlayStation 4.
- To do this, you can either create a new PSN account, change settings on your current one, or use a VPN.
A PlayStation 4 is a great source of entertainment, despite the evergoing PC-console war that’s been going on for quite a while now. But many users are looking for an easy solution to change their PSN country on PS4.
That’s because Sony offers personalized offers, deals, and additional content based on where you live. Naturally, a fierce gamer wants unrestricted access to everything.
You can check for yourself: there are several deals on 12-month PS Plus subscription plans for US PS4 users, but almost none for EU residents.
This sparks controversy, especially considering that non-US users are also affected by an occasional lack of content.
For that reason, people have been trying to find ways of fooling the system and changing their region. Here’s how you can do that.
How can I change my PSN region on PS4?
1. Create a new PSN account
- Head over to the Sony Entertainment website
- Click the Start button
- Type an email address (one that’s not associated with another PSN account)
- Define and confirm your password
- Choose a country/region from the combo menu
- Select a state/province
- Configure your date of birth
- Click Next
- Configure your notification settings
- Click Agree and Create Account
- Configure 2-Step verification or skip it for now
- Type your mobile phone number (you can also skip this step)
- Verify your email address
2. Configure your PSN account
- Go to the PSN website
- Log into your account
- Agree with the Update notice
- Choose a City from the combo menu
- Confirm your state/province
- Type a postal code (look it up online)
- Choose your Online ID
- Type your first and last names in the corresponding fields
- Click Done
Now you’re all set and done, you have a US-based PSN account, and can now see US content in the PS Store. However, note that all disc games are region-locked. Therefore, you won’t be able to play EU games (for instance) with a US-based account.
Fortunately for us, the PS4 itself isn’t region-locked. So you can load discs from any region as long as you have a suitable account to match them.
Now for the bad news. Even though you can see the US store content, you can’t actually buy it with your non-US funds. For this, you’ll need either one of these:
- American credit/debit card
- PayPal account that matches the address on your PSN account
- PSN gift cards from third-party sources (these are the easiest to come by)
Last, but not least, if you’re using your PS4 to stream from Netflix, you might encounter some issues.
While the library may display US content, you won’t be able to stream it, as Netflix will also perform an IP address check to detect your location.
3. Use a VPN
You can use a VPN to change your geo-location and access the PlayStation 4 Store from another country. You might even get access to some exclusive game deals in this manner.
However, use this method at your own risk since you might unknowingly violate the PSN terms of service.
Here’s how you can set up a VPN on your router using Windows and connect your PlayStation 4 to the VPN.
- Purchase a premium VPN (we recommend Private Internet Access)
- Access the PIA Client Area
- Click the Downloads section
- Click Go to OpenVPN Generator
- Select the newest OpenVPN version, the Windows platform, and the region you want to use on PS4
- Select the UDP recommended port and click Generate
- Move the downloaded OVPN file to a safe place
- Sign in to your router admin panel using a web browser (the address is usually http://192.168.0.1)
- Check if your router supports VPN client mode
- Locate the VPN client area on your router’s firmware
- Upload the downloaded OVPN file from PIA
- On the PS4 home menu, go to Settings
- Select Network > Set Up Internet Connection
- Choose Use Wi-Fi > Easy
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi network
The steps above help you install Private Internet Access on your router. All devices that connect to your router will automatically connect to the VPN server, including your gaming console.
However, if you want to change the VPN server location or protocol, you have to download a new OVPN file from PIA and update the existing OpenVPN file on your router.
An easier way but less efficient way is to share your VPN connection from Windows 10 to your PS4 in wireless or wired mode. Find out how in our VPN setup guide for PlayStation 4.
We recommend Private Internet Access because it’s the best VPN for gaming, featuring an impressive range of more than 23,500 VPN and proxy servers in 99 locations across 77 countries.
You can use PIA to not only change your PSN region but also reduce your ping in multiplayer games.
Note that some routers allow you to turn them into VPN servers, but won’t provide support for external VPN services. Thus, it’s best to make sure your router can handle third-party VPNs before you try this method.
Last, but not least, connecting your PS4 to the Internet through a PC lets you use a standard PC VPN client. On the downside, it might be a bit harder to configure.
To wrap it up, changing the PSN country on PS4 might not be complicated at all. It seems that Sony lets anyone in and without making any IP- or location-based queries to identify your region.
Sure enough, you won’t be able to purchase any US PS Store content without an American credit or debit card, or without a US PayPal account.
However, third-party sources such as eBay have made it easy to purchase US digital PS Store credit, which also works great with purchasing US content without actually being in the US.