- If Google Chrome freezes your computer, it is surely due to it running out of RAM.
- Try switching to another browser that is less demanding on your system.
- You can also use our solution to reset and scan your browser for malware.
- If Chrome is causing your computer to freeze, follow our method to update the browser.
Google Chrome is a user favorite for a reason, holding the majority share of the browser market for a long time.
With the Android platform being the most used OS in the world, it’s rather obvious why Google’s original browser gets the most attention.
Now, even though Chrome get’s better with every new update, both visually and performance-wise, it’s still the number one resource-hog of all standard third-party applications a general public relies on.
One major problem is that Chrome freezes the PC, which mostly occurs due to abnormal RAM depletion.
We have a few solutions for this problem, so check them out down below. Hopefully, they’ll help you resolve the freezing issues caused by Chrome.
The solutions listed below will also help you if you are experiencing the following issues:
- Chrome freezing Windows 10
- Chrome locking up windows 10
- Google Chrome freezing computer
- Chrome freezes Windows 10
- Google Chrome freezing windows 10
What do I do if Chrome freezes my PC?
- Use an alternative until Google sorts the problem
- Reset browser and scan for malware
- Clear browsing data
- Update Chrome
- Reinstall Chrome
1. Use an alternative until Google sorts the problem
One great way to easily fix the problem is by trying some alternative browsers. And now more than ever you have a substantial number of Chrome alternatives.
One good example of an alternative browser is Opera, as it has the same Chromium engine as Google Chrome, but at only a fraction of the resource requirements.
It also has a vast library of extensions, so enriching the web browser to better suit your needs will not be a problem.
Additionally, you get the added benefit of a few extra layers of security that come in the form of a VPN and a built-in ad-blocker.
Surf the Internet and keep tens of tabs opened without worrying about PC freezes by using Opera!
2. Reset browser and scan for malware
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the 3-dot menu and open Settings.
- In the Search bar, type Reset and click on the Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Reset settings.
And this is how to scan for malicious presence with both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, respectively:
- Open Windows Defender from the taskbar notification area.
- Choose Virus & threat protection.
- Choose Scan options.
- Select Windows Defender Offline Scan.
- Click Scan now.
- Your PC will restart and the scanning process will commence.
- After it starts again, download Malwarebytes.
- Run the tool and click Scan
- Wait until the tool scans your system and restart your PC.
3. Clear browsing data
- Open Chrome.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open the Clear browsing data menu.
- Choose the Advanced tab.
- Under the Time range, select All time.
- Check the Cookies and other data site box.
- Click Clear data.
4. Update Chrome
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the 3-dot menu in the top right corner and open Help > About Google Chrome.
- The version check-up should start and the browser will update if there’s an official update available.
5. Reinstall Chrome
Like with any other third-party application, reinstallation is always at the bottom of the troubleshooting list.
But, besides removing the application itself, we suggest clearing all locally-stored data. Just to be sure that some kind of corruption isn’t causing the browser and OS
You can either search for the associated files on your own or use a third-party uninstaller and it will do that for you. If you decide on the latter option, make sure to check our list of best uninstallers here.
To install Chrome again, be sure to check our in-depth Chrome installation guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chrome is famous for its excessive RAM usage. Take a look at this awesome article about RAM to learn everything about it.
To stop from freezing on Windows 10, be sure to check this detailed article dedicated to fixing the problem.
Chrome cleanup tool is a special application designed to help Chrome. Read this quick article about the software to find out how it works.