How to update Cube WP10 to the Anniversary/Creators Update
Cube WP10 is a huge 7″ Windows 10 phone selling for $150. Actually, the device can be considered either a monster smartphone or a small tablet because it features a 6.98-inch 720P IPS HD screen.
Other specs include an inferior Snapdragon 220 quad core processor backed by 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage expandable to 128GB, a primary camera of 5MP on the back, a secondary camera of 2MP on the front, and a 2850 mAh battery.
A group of resourceful developers have come up with a solution to unblock the update process and install the Anniversary Update on Cube WP10. Most likely, the same workaround can be used to install the Creators Update, as well. However, use it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
The solution consists of hacking the Registry values manually so that this unsupported phone appears as Lumia 950XL to Microsoft’s servers, becoming eligible for updates. Once again, this workaround should be used by tech-savvy users only at their own risk.
How to update Cube WP10
1. Find and download the latest version of Interop Tools and the appropriate ARM dependencies zip file from XDA forums. Carefully read the installation instructions and warnings. Do not install any other apps mentioned there, except the Interop Tools app and Dependencies.
2. Unzip the files and put them in your phone.
3. Go to Settings > Update & Security – For developers and check “Developer Mode” > answer Yes to the warning.
4. Install the 4 dependencies files one by one by tapping on them and answering Yes.
5. Install the Interop Tools app (same procedure). Don’t reverse the sequence, otherwise the app won’t show in the phone’s apps list.
6. Go to the phone’s apps list. Interop Tools should now be available.
7. On the first screen, check “Native registry provider (aka This device)”.
8. Open the Registry browser > go to HKLM > System > Platform > DeviceTargetInfo.
9. Write down these values:
- phone manufacturer = CUBE phoneHardwareVariant = VAR-GSM
- phonemanufacturerModelName = T698 phoneModelName= T698
10.Change them as follows:
- PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
- PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1085
- PhoneManufacturerModelName = RM-1116_11258.
- PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM.
- Tap save for every value you change.
11. Reboot your phone.
12. Go to Settings > Phone Update > check for updates. The latest updates should now be available.
13. Connect your phone to a charger > wait for the Anniversary Update install process to complete.
14. Go to Settings > Update & Security – For developers > check “Windows Store only”.
Keep it mind that the updates won’t be available as soon as you restart your Cube WP10 device. You’ll have to wait for Microsoft’s servers to recognize your phone. Sometimes, this may take more than 24 hours. Also, keep your phone connected to Internet during the whole period.
- Do not tweak the registry again until the latest updates are available.
- The procedure listed above applies to Cube WP10 devices that haven’t been unlocked or hacked with other unlocking tools. These programs may modify the phone’s bootloader or some value in the registry that Interop Tools uses. In this case, reset your phone and then try to install Interop Tools.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Mobile build 15063.2 install fails, user reports
- New emulator image for Windows 10 Mobile Creators Build almost complete
- Fix: Can’t Send SMS From Windows 10 Mobile
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]