- Desktop working properly is an important factor when using your Windows 10 PC.
- If you are wondering how you can fix the black desktop background on Windows 10, keep on reading.
- For more tips, we welcome you to check out our Screen issues section.
- Bookmark the Windows 10 Fix Hub for more updates and guides.
Some users have discovered and reported a bug in Windows 10, not a crucial one, but still very annoying. After performing a specific number of operations, the Desktop turned black and the wallpaper disappeared.
This black background issue is very annoying, especially for those who care about the look of their Desktops.
Unfortunately, the newer versions of Windows operating system are full of similar, small but annoying bugs, and Windows users are constantly complaining about them, but they’re right.
Luckily, you can solve this problem easily, with just a few clicks, because it is related to Show Desktop icons feature. It can be fixed right from your Desktop and we are presenting the steps in this article.
How can I fix black desktop background on Windows 10?
1. Disable Desktop icons
- Make sure that the Desktop is showing
- Right-click on the empty area.
- In the View section, untick Show Desktop icons, and all your desktop icons will disappear.
- Click on the empty area on your Desktop once again
- Go to Personalize from the menu. If you already using a theme with a single wallpaper, select some themes with multiple wallpapers. For example, Microsoft’s Line and colors theme, and right after that switch back to the default theme.
- Close the Personalization window
- Your Desktop should turn black without showing any wallpaper on the screen.
- To finally fix this issue, you have to turn on your Desktop icons once again, and disable them again.
Driver Booster 7 it’s designed to fix many issues caused by driver update failures. It can fix almost all no sound issues and network failures.
The driver has a great scanning speed and if you want to save even more time then you can activate the driver’s auto-update and get the latest updates with no effort from your part.
Driver Booster 7’s palette of ability to update drivers is amazing and it goes up to 3,000,000 device drivers and game components for top PC performance
All downloaded drivers come from the official manufacturers’ websites and in order to ensure authority and security, they all have passed both Microsoft WHQL test and IObit test.
Get iObit Driver Booster to detect and fix common Windows 10 issues caused by driver update failure.
3. Sign out of Windows
- Go to Start – Settings
- Select Ease of Access
- Click on Other option
- Make sure that Windows background is enabled
- Select your favourite wallpaper and set it as your background image. Do this even if the desktop background is black
- Sign out and then sign back in. The new background show now be visible.
4. Change Themes folder to not hidden
If nothing worked, try changing the Themes folder to not hidden. Some users confirmed that this workaround helped them solve the problem. Give it a go and see if it works for you as well.
You can find the Themes folder at this address:
If you want to know how to install third-party themes on Windows 10, we’ve got you covered.
If these easy solution somehow didn’t worked out for you, or you have some questions or suggestions, please let us know in the comment section below. We would like to hear your comments or suggestions.
FAQ: Learn more about background issues
- Why does my background keep changing in Windows 10?
This is somethings that changes automatically at times, due to any installation of Windows 10 updates or features.
- How do I turn down the brightness on Windows 10?
To reduce the brightness on Windows 10, open the Settings App, go to System and then click on Display. Many users reportet not being able to decrease the display brightness so make sure to check our fixes.
- Should I use dark mode all the time?
Reportedley, a darker mode seems to be better for the eyes and at least one more benefit of using dark mode is that it extends your device baterry life.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.