- Discord is a very popular app among gamers, as it allows better communication during matches.
- The program is free to use, and anyone can download it on their PC, with the app providing an in-game overlay.
- For more articles regarding this amazing app, check out our dedicated Discord Fix hub.
- If you're a gamer, then you should also look at our Gaming page.
Discord is a popular VoIP application designed for the video gaming community and it comes with the Discord overlay feature. While some users may like the extra features it offers, some may prefer to disable Discord overlay to keep it clean.
The Discord overlay feature enables the users to reach other users while playing a full-screen game and perform activities like send messages, screenshots and voice chat.
That said, as mentioned earlier, Disord overlay can be annoying for some users. Fortunately, it can be disabled for all the games as well as individual titles.
In this article, we take a look at how to disable Discord overlay entirely and for individual games in Windows 10.
How do I disable Discord overlay in Windows?
1. Disable for all the games
- Launch the Discord app if not already running. You can launch it from the System Tray by double-clicking on the Discord icon.
- Click the User Settings icon (gear icon).
- Under the App Settings section, select the Overlay tab.
- Toggle the switch to disable the Enable in-game overlay option.
- Launch any game and check if the discord overlays are disabled.
Disabling the in-game overlay option will turn off the overlay from all games. However, if you only want to disable Discord overlay for a particular game, follow the next set of steps.
2. Disable Discord overlay from a particular game
- Launch Discord from the system tray.
- Click the User settings icon (gear icon) next to your profile name.
- From the left pane, click on the Overlay tab under App Settings.
- Make sure the Enable in-game overlay option is enabled.
- Open the Game Activity tab.
- It will list all the games that are installed on your computer.
- If the games are not visible, click on Add it!
- Choose all the games that you want to enable Discord overlay for.
- By default, the overlay is disabled for games.
- Click the Overlay icon to enable Discord overlay for that game.
Instead of disabling the overlay feature completely, you can disable and enable the overlay for certain games. This way you can have overlays available for the games where it is actually useful. Furthermore, you can also customize the position of overlay or hide them until you want to use them.
By following the steps in this article, you can customize or completely disable Discord overlay in Windows. Which of the Discord overlay feature you like the most? Let us know in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Launch Discord, open User Settings. Open the Overlay tab under App Settings. Toggle the switch to disable Discord overly for all the games.
To disable Discord overlay in Steam, launch Discord , and go to User Settings. Open the Overlay tab and then turn off Discover overly option. Launch Steam to check if the overlay is disabled.
If Discord overlay is not working, try running the Discord app as administrator. Next, open Discord > User Settings > Appearances and disable Hardware Acceleration. If the issue persists, try reinstalling the app to see if that resolves the issue.
The Discord overlay feature is enabled by default. Assuming that you have the latest version of Discord installed, do the following. Launch Discord and click the Gear icon next to your profile. Under App Settings, click on Overlay. Toggle the switch under Overlay to enable Discord overly.