You may not know, but Windows 10 comes with .NET 4.5 framework available, but most of the apps require .NET 3.5 framework to run, so today we’re going to show you how to download .NET framework for Windows 10.
You probably have some applications on your PC that require an older version of .NET framework, and here’s how can you enable it on Windows 10.
How can I download .NET framework?
Method 1 – Enable Windows .NET 3.5 from Control Panel
- Press Windows Key + R to start the Run window and type appwiz.cpl, then press Enter.
- When Programs and Features window opens, you need to press Turn Windows features on or off and search for .NET
- Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) on the list.
- If .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is available, enable it and click OK.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation, and if the installation requires to restart your computer.
An additional way to install .NET 3.5 Framework is to install an app that requires .NET 3.5 Framework. If the app doesn’t detect .NET 3.5 Framework enabled, it will ask you to download the Framework.
In addition, you can download .NET 3.5 Framework on Windows 10 directly from Microsoft’s website.
Your Windows key doesn’t work? Check out this useful guide to solve the issue quickly.
Method 2 – Install .NET 3.5 Framework offline using Command Prompt
- Press Windows key + R to open Run window.
- Type cmd and press Enter.
- Command Prompt window will open.
- Type Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:F:sourcessxs /LimitAccess. Remember to change F: to match your installation media for Windows 10. In most cases this is your DVD or USB drive used to install Windows 10, so make sure that your Windows 10 DVD or USB is connected to your PC.
It seems that everything is lost when DISM fails on Windows? Check out this quick guide and get rid of the worries.
Method 3 – Install .NET 3.5 Framework using the Windows installation media
If using Command Prompt seems too complicated for you, there’s no need to worry, there’s a simpler solution more suitable for new users.
All you need to do is to download this tool, connect your Windows 10 DVD or USB drive to your computer and follow the instructions. This files does the same thing as the previous solution, but if the previous solution seems too complicated for you, feel free to try this one.
You don’t have a Windows installation media? Create one right now in just a couple of steps.
Installing .NET 3.5 framework on Windows 10 isn’t that hard, and we hope that these steps were helpful to you. If .NET framework 3.5 is missing from your PC, you can get it with the solutions mentioned or by following this guide.
If you’re running a recent version of Windows 10 you should know that .NET Framework 4.7.2 is included with Windows 10 October 2018 Update. However, you can install .NET Framework 4.7.2 on:
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709)
- Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703)
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607)
- Windows Server, version 1709
- Windows Server 2016
Sadly, there’s no support if you are using Windows 10 1507 or Windows 1511. At the time of this article was written, the latest version of .NET Framework was 4.7.2.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix corrupted .NET Framework issues
- Windows 10 Redstone 5 brings a new Net Adapter Framework
- Fix: .NET Framework 3.5 is Missing From Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on August 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.