If you or your company uses the Microsoft Office Suite, then most probably your default email client is Microsoft Outlook.
While it may not exactly be the most popular email client out there, it is very adaptable and constantly updated, making it very reliable.
Of course, one aspect about Outlook, and other email clients for that matter is that many people are curious as to how you can locally store the emails from it.
While Microsoft Outlook may already store the emails locally on your PC in the form of a PST file, it isn’t all that accessible.
More so, opening a PST file isn’t all that easy, as you either need Outlook to open it or another third-party tool specialized in email conversion, recovery, and management.
How do I download Microsoft Outlook emails to Excel?
One thing you must remember is that if you want to export an email into an Excel spreadsheet, the only thing transferred will be the data itself, and the basic links.
Other elements, such as formatting will be lost in the process, so the operation isn’t exactly fool-proof.
If formatting is a major concern for you, you should consider exporting the emails into HTML.
1. Download Outlook emails to Excel using Import / Export
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Press File
- Select Open and Export
- Click Import/Export
- Choose Export to a File
- Click Browse
- Set the file type as CSV
- Check the Export E-Mail messages from folder option to open the Map Custom Fields dialog box
- Add or remove the fields you need in the workbook
- Select the location where you want your file to be saved
- Give the file a name for easier recognition
- Select Finish
2. Download Outlook emails to Excel using Copy
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Go to Mail view
- Go to View
- Select Reading Pane
- Click Off
- Click View
- Select Add Columns
- The Show Columns dialog box will appear
- Choose All Mail Fields from the Select available columns drop-down list
- Click to highlight the Message option in the Available columns section
- Click the Add button and OK button one by one
- Select all the emails in the email folder
- Copy them all using Ctrl + C
- Create a new workbook in Microsoft excel
- Paste the emails in that workbook
- Save the workbook
3. Use a Microsoft Outlook Add-in
You can use Add-ins for Microsoft Outlook to make mail to excel conversion far more easier.
These programs usually have a wizard-like guide that needs following, and you will be done in no time.
One such example is Kutools for Microsoft Outlook, and it will allow you to perform the same process in just 2 or 3 steps.
Exporting emails to Excel made easy
By following any of the tips mentioned above, you will be able to make use of any spreadsheet you may receive via email efficiently.
More so, these methods work with pretty much any program that can manage spreadsheets, not just Microsoft Excel.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft Outlook to get full support for Black Office Theme
- How to download Salesforce for Outlook
- The address list cannot be displayed error in Outlook