- The DS4Windows could not open exclusively error has been trending on forums.
- To solve this issue, you can try to close all other applications and reconnect the DS4 controller.
- New Windows updates can be the cause of why DS4Windows could not open exclusively.
- You can also fix this annoying problem by changing the settings of your firewall.
Developed by Jays2Kings, DS4Windows is an easy-to-use program that allows users to play PC games while using a DualShock 4.
Without any question, DS4 is the best controller to play games and the best way to play games is in the exclusive mode so what do you do if DS4Windows can’t open exclusively?
This mode has very specific requirements regarding the connection between the DS4Windows tool and other applications and if they’re not met, the log file will show you the message Failed to enable exclusive mode.
Keep reading to find the complete step-by-step guide to fix this irritable error. Just make sure you’ll follow it carefully, otherwise you’ll risk permanent damage to your system files.
How to fix the DS4Windows not working in exclusive mode?
1. Manually download the appropriate drivers
- Download the latest InputMapper HIDGuardian drivers.
- After the download process is complete, click on run and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Follow the next step carefully.
2. Change the properties of your controller in Registry Editor
2.1 Obtain the Hardware IDs
- Click Start, type control panel then press Enter.
- Go to Hardware & Sounds.
- Click on Devices & Printers.
- Locate the Wireless Controller, right-click on it and go to Properties.
- Click on the Hardware tab.
- From Device Functions, choose HID-Compliant Game Controller and click on Properties.
- Open the Details tab.
- From Property, click on the drop-down menu and choose Hardware IDs.
- Here, copy the first three strings of text in a notepad file, then close the window.
2.2 Modify registry values
- Now, right-click on the Start button and select Run.
- In the run box, enter the following: regedit and press Enter.
- Go to this path:
- Right-click on Affected Devices and select Modify.
- Paste that 3 string code you previously copied in the Value box at the top (only paste 1 code per line and make sure the last line is left blank).
- Click OK to save.
- Restart your computer. Your DualShock 4 should now be in exclusive Mode.
3. Make sure all connections are allowed
- Open Settings and select Update & Security.
- From the left-hand pane click on Windows Security.
- On the right-hand pane click on Open Windows Security.
- Select Firewall & network protection.
- Click to Allow an app or service through the firewall.
- A new window will open. Here, locate the DS4Windows application on the list.
- Make sure all connections are allowed, incoming as well as outgoing.
- Save the settings and exit.
- You can now check if DS4Windows is working in exclusive mode.
4. Uninstall the latest Windows 10 Updates
- Go to Start and click on Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update from the left-hand pane.
- Here, click on View update history.
- Click on Uninstall updates option from the top of the window.
- Look for the latest update, right-click on it and then select Uninstall.
- After the process is complete, restart your PC.
Surely, one of these methods will do the trick and you’ll be able to play your favourite games as intended: in exclusive mode.
Since you are a hardcore gamer, do not hesitate to take a look at the best Razer laptops for gaming as well. This well-recognized brand won’t dissapoint you.
If you have any questions or just want to thank us, feel free to use the comments section below and we’ll make sure to respond.