- The Discord Push to Talk feature helps you suppress background noise by muting the microphone automatically.
- You can enable Push to Talk in Discord for Mac and Windows computers from the user settings panel.
- However, the Push to Talk Discord feature in Chrome and browser is very limited.
- Learn more about enabling, disabling, and configuring the Push to Talk Discord in detail below.
Third-party VoIP apps like Discord makes it easy to communicate with players during the gaming session.
However, keeping your microphone on all the time means the background noise can overwhelm your friends.
Enabling Push to Talk in Discord can help you negate this problem altogether. With Push to Talk enabled, Discord will mute your mic automatically until you hit the pre-defined key and speak.
If you are new to Discord and not sure how to use this feature, this is the guide you need. In this guide, we have discussed in detail how to enable, disable and configure push to talk in Discord.
How does Push to Talk work on Discord?
Enable Push to Talk in Discord PC
- Launch Discord on your PC.
- Click on the Settings (Gear icon) at the bottom to open the App settings Settings window.
- Open the Voice and Video tab under the App Settings section.
- In the Input Mode, choose Push to Talk.
You may see other related settings for Push to Talk; however, leave it as it is for now as we will cover them in the configuration section later.
Once you have enabled Push to Talk in Discord, you need to configure the properties to use it. Discord allows you to set a dedicated key to activate Push to Talk and configure other aspects of it as well.
Enable Push to Talk in Discord for Mac
Grant Discord access to Microphone
- Press the CMD + Space key on your keyboard and type System Preferences.
- Open System Preferences from the option.
- Open the Security and Privacy panel.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Click the lock at the bottom of the screen and enter your password.
- Choose the Microphone tab from the left pane.
- Make sure the Discord box is checked. This allows the Discord app to access your microphone.
Once you have given Discord access to your Macbook microphone, the next step is to enable Push to Talk in Discord Mac.
Enable Push to Talk Discord Mac
- Launch the Discord app on your MacBook.
- Open Settings by clicking the Gear icon next to your profile.
- Open the Voice and Video tab.
- Check the box to enable Push to Talk.
Now that you have enabled Push to Talk in Mac, proceed with configuring the shortcuts and other voice properties below.
Configure Push to Talk in Discord
- In Discord, open Settings.
- From the left pane, click on Keybinds under App Settings.
- Click the Add a Keybind button on top.
- Click the Action drop-down menu and choose Push to Talk.
- In the Keybind field, enter the letter that you want to set as the shortcut to activate Push to Talk. Discord allows you to set multiple keys for the same feature.
- To enter the shortcut key, click on the Keyboard icon on the Keybind field.
- Press the shortcut key that you want to assign to Push to Talk, and then click on Stop Recording.
- Next, go back to the Voice and Video tab under Settings.
- Here you will notice a Push to Talk Release Delay slider. Crank it up a bit to avoid interrupting yourself by mistake.
Discord uses the delay slider input to determine when to cut your voice after releasing the Push to Talk key.
You can further suppress the background noise by enabling the Noise suppression feature. Discord uses organic, locally-sourced Opus Voice codec as well as third-party codecs from Krisp.
Furthermore, tweaking the voice processing properties enables echo cancellation, noise reduction, and advanced voice activity.
Unable to make it work? Refer to our Discord Push to Talk not working guide instead.
Which button is Push to Talk in discord?
- Launch Discord and go to Settings.
- Open Voice and Video tab.
- Under Push to Talk, check the key that has been assigned as a Shortcut for Push to Talk.
The shortcut key listed in the Push to Talk section is the button to use for Push to Talk in Discord. You can also learn about the shortcuts by accessing the Keybind tab under Settings.
Disable Push to Talk in Discord
- Launch Discord and click the User Settings icon.
- Open the Voice and Video tab.
- Choose the Voice Activity option to disable Push to Talk.
To check your newly enabled Push to Talk keybind, click the Let’s Check button. If the volume indicators show movement, it means the mic is working.
If you want to use Push to Talk Discord in your browser and Chromebook, you can access the Discord web app. However, the Push to Talk feature is limited online and only works when the browser tab has focus.
The Push to Talk feature can help in many ways, especially when you don’t want to listen to all that’s happening in the background of your friend’s stream. By enabling Push to Talk, you and your friends can listen to only what’s necessary.