- The Err_connection_reset error on Windows 10 can be related to either your browser or a particular program.
- In this article, we list several ways to troubleshoot the issue, depending on the situation.
- Fixing this issue is simple, and in most cases, you just need to adjust your network settings.
- If you’re getting err_connection_reset in Opera, be sure to update Opera to the latest version.
We use web browsers on a daily basis to access the Internet, but sometimes certain issues with web browsers can appear.
Windows 10 users reported an err_connection_reset error on their PC, and today we’re going to show you how to fix this error for the following situations:
- [FIX] err_connection_reset on Windows 10
- [FIX] err_connection_reset on YouTube
- [FIX] err_connection_reset on Apache
- [FIX] err_connection_reset on WAMP
- [FIX] err_connection_reset on ISS
How do I fix Err_connection_reset on Windows 10?
- Disable your antivirus and firewall
- Set the Maximum Transmission Unit
- Disable AppEx Networks Accelerator feature
- Use netsh command
- Disable proxy
- Clear browsing cache
- Disable DNS prefetching option
- Restart your router and your PC
- Check your permissions
- Run the network troubleshooter
- Disable Scan encrypted connections feature (Kaspersky)
- Disable TSL 1.1 in Chrome
- Disconnect your Ethernet switch
- Install the latest version of Java
- Fix Windows Registry
Before we jump to the solutions, we’d like to make a warm recommendation that might come in as useful when you encounter problems with your current browser.
Namely, we advise you to switch to Opera browser, not just for the sake of a change, but also to benefit from a faster, lighter and more reliable browser.
Opera is free to install and use, and it comes with multiple exclusive features including ad blocker, built-in messenger apps, customizable speed dials, customizable separate workspaces, visual bookmarks.
Not to mention the free built-in VPN, with no subscription or traffic limit, that will protect your identity while browsing.
OperaIf you’re looking for a faster, easy-to-use and more reliable browser with minimum impact on your OS, Opera is the answer.
1. Disable your antivirus and firewall
Antivirus and firewall tools are extremely useful if you want to protect your PC from malicious users and malicious software. But sometimes, these applications can interfere with your web browser and cause err connection reset errors to appear.
One way to fix this problem is to temporarily disable your antivirus software or firewall and check if that solves the problem.
However, we’d rather recommend using an antivirus that has little to no impact on your PC, such as Bitdefender.
Bitdefender is one of the best antivirus software due to its performance, security-enhancing features, usability, and non-stop tech support.
Every year, the software gets top ranks in all specialized tests and it is praised for the clean and accessible interface, detection rates for the latest malware, and the low number of false positives compared to other antivirus programs.
If, however, you decide to disable the antivirus altogether, you can still keep browsing securely the Internet with a dedicated tool that secures your network.
On this note, we recommend using a Private Internet Acces VPN, or PIA, owned by Kape Technologies.
The tool provides excellent services, with thousands of servers around the world which basically means that you can appear as surfing from anywhere in the world.
2. Set the maximum transmission unit
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Network Connections from the menu.
- Locate your active network connection and write down its name.
- Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface your network connection name mtu=1472 store=persisten
- press Enter to run it.
After running this command, check if the The connection to the server was reset error is gone.
3. Disable AppEx Networks Accelerator feature
Users reported that AppEx Networks Accelerator feature causes err_connection_reset error for AMD users, and according to them, you can fix this problem simply by disabling this feature.
To do that, open Network Connections window, right-click your network connection and open its properties.
Look for AppEx Networks Accelerator option and disable it. If you can’t find this option, be sure to check advanced options of your network adapter in order to disable this feature.
4. Use netsh command
- Open Command Prompt as administrators shown above.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
netsh winsock reset
- After the command is successfully executed, close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
- After your computer restarts, check if the problem is resolved.
In addition to netsh winsock reset command, some users are also suggesting to run the following commands:
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
5. Disable proxy
- Type Internet Options in the search bar.
- Go to the Connections tab and click LAN settings button.
- In the Proxy section disable Use a proxy server for your LAN option. You can also disable Automatically detect settings option. Click OK to save changes.
You can also disable proxy by using the Settings app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to Network and Internet section and select Proxy tab.
- Disable Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server options.
Note: If Settings does not open, use the steps in this handy guide to restore access to it.
After your proxy is disabled, err_connection_reset error in Opera should be completely resolved.
Keep in mind that using a proxy is useful if you want to protect your online privacy, but sometimes it can interfere with your web browser and cause err_connection_reset error to appear.
6. Clear browsing cache
- Press the Menu button in the top right corner and choose More tools > Clear browsing data.
- In the Obliterate the following items from menu select the beginning of time. Check Cookies and other site and plugin data, Cached images and files and Hosted app data.
- Click the Clear browsing data button and wait for your browser to remove the cache.
- After the process is completed, restart your browser and check if the problem is resolved.
We showed you how to clear browsing cache in Google Chrome, but the procedure should be quite similar in every other web browser.
After resetting the cache, check if the The connection was reset error still appears on Windows 10.
7. Disable DNS prefetching option
- Click the Menu button in your browser and choose Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and click on Show advanced settings.
- Locate Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly in the Privacy section and disable it.
- After disabling this feature, restart your browser and check if the problem is resolved.
8. Restart your router and your PC
In some situations, this error can be caused by your router, and one of the fastest ways to fix this problem is to restart your router. To do that, simply press the power button on your router to turn it off.
Wait for a few seconds and press the power button once again to power on your router. After your router restarts, check if the problem is resolved. If the problem still persists, restart your PC and check if the error is fixed.
This is a simple solution, but it can help you fix The connection to the server was reset error.
9. Check your permissions
- Go to the following directory:
- Locate Temp folder, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to Security tab and click the Edit button.
- Now click the Add button.
- In the Enter the object names to select field enter your user name and click Check Names. If your user name is valid, click the OK button.
- Your user profile will now be added to the Group or user names section. Select your user profile from the list and check Full control in the Allow column. After that, click Apply and OK to save changes.
After changing your permissions, this error should be completely resolved.
10. Run the network troubleshooter
- Open Network Connections window.
- Locate your network connection, right-click it and choose Diagnose.
- The troubleshooter will now scan your network connection and try to fix the problem.
Users reported that this error was caused by TCP network performance feature, but after running the network troubleshooter The connection was reset should be gone on Windows 10.
- Open Kaspersky Internet Security.
- Open Settings and select Advanced settings. Now go to the Network section.
- Locate and disable Scan encrypted connections feature.
Only users of Kaspersky Internet Security mentioned this solution. But even if you don’t use Kaspersky, be sure to check if your antivirus software has this feature available and disable it.
This is a simple solution, but it can help if you’re getting err_connection_reset error in Opera or in any other browser.
12. Disable TSL 1.1 in Chrome
- Close Chrome completely.
- Locate Chrome shortcut, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and add –ssl-version-max=tls1 in the Target field, right after quotes.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Start Chrome again and check if the problem is resolved.
Sometimes your network equipment such as Ethernet switch can cause this and many other errors to appear.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to remove your Ethernet switch and check if that solves the issue.
If your Ethernet switch is the problem, you might want to check if it’s faulty and replace it.
Few users reported that they fixed the err_connection_reset error simply by installing the latest version of Java.
It’s unknown how Java can cause this problem, but if you have Java installed, be sure to update it to the latest version and check if that fixes your problem.
15. Fix Windows Registry
If Err_connection reset error appears, or a similar connection error, this might result from a corrupt Windows registry. Therefore, you need to fix your Windows registry.
You can do that by installing one of the many tools designed for this purpose, such as registry cleaners.
After scanning and fixing the registry, check if The connection to the server was reset error is still there.
How do I fix Err_connection_reset on Youtube?
1. Disable your extensions
- Press the Menu button in your browser and choose More tools > Extensions.
- Locate the unnecessary extensions and uncheck the Enabled checkbox next to the extension name.
- After you’ve disabled all unnecessary extensions, restart the browser and check if the problem is fixed.
- If the issue isn’t fixed, disable all extensions and restart the browser again.
For this example we used Chrome, but the process is similar no matter the browser you’re using.
If disabling extensions fixes the problem, you should try enabling them one by one until you find the one that is causing this problem.
Users reported that the Google Mail Checker extension was causing the problem for them, but keep in mind that almost any extension can cause this problem to appear.
2. Replace your router
Err_connection_reset error can appear due to your router, especially if it becomes faulty.
Few users reported that they fixed this problem simply by replacing their router, so you might want to consider that.
How do I fix Err_connection_reset on Apache?
1. Change the php.ini configuration file
If you’re a web developer, you probably have Apache installed on your PC. This error can appear while using Apache, but you can easily fix it by changing the php.ini file.
Simply open the php.ini file and change
use_only_cookies from 0 to 1. Save changes and check if the problem is resolved. Users are also suggesting to set
use_strict_mode to 1 in your php.ini file, so you might want to try that as well.
2. Replace the .dll file
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by replacing
C:/PHP/libmysql.dllAfter doing that, the problem should be resolved.
How do I fix Err_connection_reset on WAMP?
1. Turn off mod_socket
Users reported that you can easily fix this problem simply by turning off mod_socket in WAMP.
After doing that, your WAMP server should start working without any problems and the error will be resolved.
2. Edit the hosts file
- Press Windows Key + S, enter notepad, right-click Notepad from the list of results and choose Run as administrator.
- When Notepad opens, choose File > Open.
- Navigate to the following folder:
- In the bottom right corner change Text Documents (*.txt) to All files and select hosts file.
- When the hosts file opens, locate
# 127.0.0.1 localhostline and remove the #.
- After you’re done, save changes, and check if the problem is resolved.
How do I fix Err_connection_reset on ISS
Repair ISS Express installation
- Open Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program option.
- Select ISS Express. Choose the Repair option from the menu.
- Follow the instructions to complete the repair process.
After the repair process is completed, this error should be resolved.
As seen, the Err_connection_reset error can interfere with your browsing experience and prevent you from running a local server. Hopefully, you managed to fix this problem by using one of our solutions.
If you have another helpful suggestion on this topic, share it with us in the comments.