Fix: Err_connection_reset error on Windows 10
We use web browsers on daily basis to access the Internet, but sometimes certain issues with web browsers can appear. Windows 10 users reported err_connection_reset error on their PC, and today we’re going to show you how to fix this error.
Err_connection_reset error on Windows 10, how to fix it?
Fix – Err_connection_reset
Solution 1 – Disable your antivirus and firewall
Antivirus and firewall tools are extremely useful if you want to protect your PC from malicious users and malicious software, but sometimes these applications can interfere with your web browser and cause err_connection_reset error to appear.
One way to fix this problem is to temporarily disable your antivirus software or firewall and check if that solves the problem. If that doesn’t fix the error, you might have to remove your antivirus/firewall and check if that fixes the issue.
If removing the antivirus fixes the problem, you’ll have to switch to a different antivirus software or reinstall your antivirus.
In case you disable the antivirus, you can keep browsing securely on the internet with a full-dedicated tool that secures your network.
Get now CyberGhost VPN (77% flash sale), a multi-platform truly complete and constantly updated privacy solution that works flawlessly.
Solution 2 – Set the Maximum Transmission Unit
According to users, you should be able to fix this problem simply by setting Maximum Transmission Unit value. This is a simple procedure, and in order to do it you need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Network Connections from the menu.
- Locate your active network connection and write down its name. In our case, it’s Ethernet, but the name of your network connection will be different on your PC.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Ethernet” mtu=1472 store=persistent and press Enter to run it. Keep in mind that you need to replace Ethernet with the name of your active network connection that you got in Step 2.
After running this command, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3 – Disable AppEx Networks Accelerator feature
Users reported that AppEx Networks Accelerator feature causes err_connection_reset error for AMD users, and according to them, you can fix this problem simply by disabling this feature. To do that, open Network Connections window, right click your network connection and open its properties. Look for AppEx Networks Accelerator option and disable it. If you can’t find this option, be sure to check advanced options of your network adapter in order to disable this feature.
Solution 4 – Use netsh command
According to users, you can fix this error simply by running netsh command. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Once the Command Prompt starts, enter netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
- After the command is successfully executed, close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
- After your computer restarts, check if the problem is resolved.
In addition to netsh winsock reset command, some users are also suggesting to run the following commands:
- netsh interface ipv4 reset
- netsh interface ipv6 reset
- ipconfig /flushdns
Solution 5 – Disable proxy
Using proxy is useful if you want to protect your privacy online, but sometimes proxy can interfere with your web browser and cause err_connection_reset error to appear. To fix this problem, you need to disable proxy by following these settings:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Once Internet Options window opens, go to Connections tab and click LAN settings button.
- Once Local Area Network Settings window opens, in the Proxy section disable Use a proxy server for your LAN option. You can also disable Automatically detect settings option. Click OK to save changes.
You can also disable proxy by using Settings app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings app.
- Once the Settings app opens, go to Network and Internet section and select Proxy tab.
- Disable Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server options.
After your proxy is disabled, err_connection_reset error should be completely resolved.
Solution 6 – Clear browsing cache
Few users reported that they managed to fix this problem simply by clearing their browsing cache, so you might want to try that. To clear your browsing cache, do the following:
- Press the Menu button in the top right corner and choose More tools > Clear browsing data.
- In the Obliterate the following items from menu select the beginning of time. Check Cookies and other site and plugin data, Cached images and files and Hosted app data.
- Click the Clear browsing data button and wait for your browser to remove the cache.
- After the process is completed, restart your browser and check if the problem is resolved.
We showed you how to clear browsing cache in Google Chrome, but the procedure should be quite similar in every other web browser.
Solution 7 – Disable DNS prefetching option
Few users reported that DNS prefetching feature can sometimes interfere with your web browser and cause err_connection_reset error to appear. To fix this problem you need to disable this feature by following these steps:
- Click the Menu button in your browser and choose Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and click on Show advanced settings.
- Locate Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly in the Privacy section and disable it.
- After disabling this feature, restart your browser and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 8 – Restart your router and your PC
In some situations this error can be caused by your router, and one of the fastest way to fix this problem is to restart your router. To do that, simply press the power button on your router to turn it off. Wait for a few seconds and press the power button once again to power on your router. After your router restarts, check if the problem is resolved. If the problem still persists, restart your PC and check if the error is fixed.
Solution 9 – Check your permissions
Few users reported that this issue occurs due to your permission settings, and according to them, if you don’t have the necessary permissions over the Temp folder you’ll experience err_connection_reset error. To fix this problem, do the following:
- Go to C:\Windows folder, locate Temp folder, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to Security tab and click the Edit button.
- Now click the Add button.
- In the Enter the object names to select field enter your user name and click Check Names. If your user name is valid, click the OK button.
- Your user profile will now be added to the Group or user names section. Select your user profile from the list and check Full control in the Allow column. After that, click Apply and OK to save changes.
After changing your permissions, this error should be completely resolved.
Solution 10 – Run the network troubleshooter
Network troubleshooter is a useful tool that will scan your network configuration and remove any potential problems. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Network Connections window.
- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Diagnose.
- Troubleshooter will now scan your network connection and try to fix the problem.
Users reported that this error was caused by TCP network performance feature, but after running the network troubleshooter the issue was completely resolved.
Solution 12 – Disable Scan encrypted connections feature
Users reported this issue while using Kaspersky Internet Security, and in order to fix it you need to disable one feature. According to users, Scan encrypted connections feature in Kaspersky Internet Security causes this error to appear, therefore you need to disable it by following these steps:
- Open Kaspersky Internet Security.
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced settings > Network.
- Locate and disable Scan encrypted connections feature.
Even if you don’t use Kaspersky Internet Security, be sure to check if your antivirus software has this feature available and disable it.
Solution 13 – Disable TSL 1.1 in Chrome
Err_connection_reset error can appear in Chrome due to TSL 1.1 feature, and in order to fix this error you need to disable this feature. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Close Chrome completely.
- Locate Chrome shortcut, right click it and choose Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and add –ssl-version-max=tls1 in the Target field, right after quotes.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Start Chrome again and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 14 – Disconnect your Ethernet switch
Sometimes your network equipment such as Ethernet switch can cause this and many other errors to appear. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to remove your Ethernet switch and check if that solves the issue. If your Ethernet switch is the problem, you might want to check if it’s faulty and replace it.
Solution 15 – Install the latest version of Java
Few users reported that they fixed the err_connection_reset error simply by installing the latest version of Java. It’s unknown how Java can cause this problem, but if you have Java installed, be sure to update it to the latest version and check if that fixes your problem.
Fix – Err_connection_reset Youtube
Solution 1 – Disable your extensions
Browser extensions are great, but they can sometimes interfere with your browser and cause this and many other errors to appear. To fix this problem, you need to do the following:
- Press the Menu button in your browser and choose More tools > Extensions.
- List of all installed extensions will appear.
- Locate the unnecessary extensions and uncheck the Enabled checkbox next to the extension name.
- After you’ve disabled all unnecessary extensions, restart Chrome and check if the problem is fixed.
- If the issue isn’t fixed, disable all extensions and restart Chrome again.
If disabling extensions fixes the problem, you should try enabling them one by one until you find the one that is causing this problem. Users reported that Google Mail Checker extensions was causing the problem for them, but keep in mind that almost any extension can cause this problem to appear.
Solution 2 – Replace your router
Err_connection_reset error can appear due to your router, especially if it becomes faulty. Few users reported that they fixed this problem simply by replacing their router, so you might want to consider that.
Fix – Err_connection_reset Apache
Solution 1 – Change the php.ini configuration file
If you’re a web developer, you probably have Apache installed on your PC. This error can appear while using Apache, but you can easily fix it by changing the php.ini file. Simply open the php.ini file and change use_only_cookies from 0 to 1. Save changes and check if the problem is resolved. Users are also suggesting to set use_strict_mode to 1 in your php.ini file, so you might want to try that as well.
Solution 2 – Replace the .dll file
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by replacing C:/bin/libMySQL.dll with C:/PHP/libmysql.dll. After doing that, the problem should be resolved.
If you’re still having issues with your .dll files or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as corrupted .dlls, hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Fix – Err_connection_reset WAMP
Solution 1 – Turn off mod_socket
Users reported that you can easily fix this problem simply by turning off mod_socket in WAMP. After doing that, your WAMP server should start working without any problems and the error will be resolved.
Solution 2 – Edit the hosts file
You should be able to fix this problem simply by editing your hosts file. According to users, they are getting err_connection_reset error while trying to access localhost on WAMP, but you can fix that problem by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S, enter notepad, right click Notepad from the list of results and choose Run as administrator.
- When Notepad opens, choose File > Open.
- Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder.
- In the bottom right corner change Text Documents (*.txt) to All files and select hosts file.
- When hosts file opens, locate # 127.0.0.1 localhost line and remove the #.
- After you’re done, save changes, and check if the problem is resolved.
Fix – Err_connection_reset ISS
Solution – Repair ISS Express installation
Users reported that they are getting err_connection_reset error due to ISS certificate problem, and one of the fastest ways to fix this problem is to repair ISS Express installation. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program option.
- Select ISS Express. Choose the Repair option from the menu.
- Follow the instructions to complete the the repair process.
After the repair process is completed, this error should be resolved.
If the issue still persist, we also recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to scan and fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Err_connection_reset error can interfere with your browsing experience and prevent you from running a local server if you’re a web developer, but hopefully you managed to fix this problem by using one of our solutions.
- Backspace is not working in Chrome, here’s why
- Chrome for Windows updated with Material Design
- Fix: Chrome install fails on Windows 10
- Fix: “Aw, Snap!” error in Google Chrome
- Fix: Google Chrome Kill pages error on Windows 10
Apex Legends is the latest battle royale blockbuster for Windows that EA and Respawn released on Origin. However, some Apex players have stated that the […]
Do you like to keep your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 system secured? Of course, you do, as everyone tries to keep their data in […]
Taskhost.exe is a process that hosts various Windows processes running from a dynamic link library instead of the conventional .exes (executable files). You see, libraries (.dlls) […]