- The err_connection_aborted can be caused by the interference of antivirus or firewall.
- You can fix the issue by flushing your DNS and resetting your browser to the default settings.
- Another effective fix is temporarily disabling your antivirus software and reloading the site.
Despite being one of the best cross-platform browsers, Chrome is still not averse to issues. The err_connection_aborted error is one of the issues users frequently face on the browser.
There are several reasons for this error, including some PC settings and issues with the browser. Although errors can appear when accessing any site, some of the most reported are Facebook, YouTube, WordPress, and Google.
This guide will show you how to fix the error for good.
What causes the err_connection_aborted error?
There are various factors that can cause the err_connection_aborted error. It can be due to temporary server downtime on the part of the website you are trying to visit.
Also, it can be caused by missing or corrupt system files. Below are some of the other causes:
- Antivirus interference
- Wrong browser setting
- Issues with browser version
If you are looking for a workaround for err_connection_aborted, a solution worth trying is switching to another browser.
On Opera you can open as many tabs as you need, as a top-tier browser, it combines a minimal design with useful extra features such as ad-blocking, built-in VPN, and data-saver mode.
Most used online features cumulated in one browser.
How can I fix the Err_connection_aborted error?
1. Check if the site’s temporarily down
As stated, it might be the case that the website’s just down. A quick way to tell is to open the Downforeveryoneorjustme page.
Type the URL of the page that isn’t opening into the text box and click or just me? This page will then tell you if the site is down or not.
2. Disable Antivirus software and Firewall
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run utility.
- Type control in the run box and hit Enter.
- Select System and Security.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Now, choose Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left pane.
- Tick the radio buttons for Turn off Windows Firewall(Not recommended) for the public and private networks.
- Click the OK button.
- To disable antivirus software, right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Now, right-click any antivirus software on the Processes tab, and select End task.
Sometimes your antivirus software might raise a false alarm and flag a website as dangerous. This can lead to the err_connection_aborted error. So, disabling the software temporarily should fix the issue.
3. Disable SSLv3 in Google Chrome
- Right-click the Chrome desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- Click the Shortcut tab.
- Then click inside the Target field text box, and add a space after the quotation marks.
- Now type –ssl-version-min=tls1 within the quotations.
- Press the Apply button, and click OK to apply the new settings.
- Then reset your router after disabling SSLv3.
4. Run sfc/scannow in the Command Prompt
- Press the Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- Now type sfc/scannow and press Enter.
- That will initiate a system scan which might take a while. Once done, it will have repaired corrupted system files that might have caused the error.
5. Reset Google Chrome
- Press the Windows + R keys at the same time.
- Type the following path and press Enter:
- Now, copy the Default folder somewhere else, and delete it from the User Data folder.
- Open Google Chrome, click the menu button, and select Settings.
- Click the Reset and clean up option in the left pane.
- Select Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click the Reset settings button to complete the process.
Note that this fix will erase all your data, like saved passwords, cache, and cookies. So, make sure you have a backup ready. But, it is an effective fix for the err_connection_aborted error.
6. Reinstall Google Chrome
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Select the Apps option.
- Locate Google Chrome and click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall button and follow the onscreen instruction.
- Now, go to the official Chrome website to download the installer.
- Click the Download Chrome button.
- Click on the downloaded installer and follow the simple onscreen instruction to complete the process.
If the err_connection_aborted error persists on PC or Android after applying the fixes above, you might need to uninstall and reinstall the browser to restore normalcy. To make things faster, you should consider using one of the best uninstaller software.
7. Flush DNS
- Go to Search, type cmd, and open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- When Command Prompt opens, type the following lines and press Enter after each one:
NETSH winsock reset catalog
NETSH int ipv4 reset reset.log
NETSH int ipv6 reset reset.log
Wrong DNS settings can cause havoc in your browser and can be why you see the err_connection_aborted https error. So, we’re going to flush your DNS, just in case. That way, everything will return to normal, and hopefully, the error will disappear.
8. Run the Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose the Updates & Security option.
- Select Troubleshoot in the left pane.
- Select Additional troubleshooters.
- Click on Internet Connections.
- Now, click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow further instructions, and let the wizard finish the process.
- Restart your PC.
If you’re running Windows 10 Spring Creators Update (2017 version) or later, you have a handy troubleshooting tool at your service. This tool can resolve various system and app issues like the err_connection_aborted file upload error.
If the problem persists, repeat the process, but this time go with Program Compatibility Troubleshooter instead of Internet Connections.
9. Run DISM
- Type cmd in the Windows search bar and right-click on the Command Prompt,
- Click the Run as administrator option.
- In the command line, copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each:
DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait until the procedure ends (it might take up to 10 minutes).
- Restart your PC.
There’s one more troubleshooting tool we’ll try here. DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) will deploy the system image again and resolve some issues.
How do I fix a website that refuses to connect?
When a website refuses to connect to the internet, it can be down to your internet connection. Also, it can be down to the network settings on your PC. An easy way to fix the issue is to flush your DNS, as shown in this guide.
Also, you can disable your antivirus temporarily and clear your browser data.
So that’s how you can fix the err_connection_aborted error in Windows 10. Then you should be able to open the pages and websites that didn’t open in Google Chrome.
If you are facing other issues like Chrome not loading pages properly, check our detailed guide for the effective fixes to apply.
If you have any other suggestions for fixing this problem, feel free to leave them in the comments below.